Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
FIX Cuda and OpenGL Nvidia Graphics cards

My setup:

1) Graphics card: EVGA NVIDIA GT 740 SC Graphics Card (2GB, 128 Bit, DDR3, HDMI, DVI-I DVI-D, PCI-E)
2) MotherBoard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard (4x DDR3, 6x USB3.0, 8x USB2.0, GBE, LAN, HDMI, DVI-I, DSUB)
3) Monitor: Samsung S24D390HL PLS 23.6 inch LED HDMI Monitor
4) Ram: Ballistix Tactical BLT2CP8G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 16GB kit (8GB x 2) DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V

Operating System: Mavericks 10.9.5
—————————————————————————

I watched this video and it gave me a rough guide on what i was looking to change and get around, but in the end i had to do my own little tweaks. but i recommend you watch it just so you know what I’m talking about when i mention certain things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-K7tRETJcI

My problem was that card was not fully recognised in adobe premiere and in after effects not matter what i updated in files..
you maybe able to refine how i did this, but none the less, this is how i did it :D

1. i went and opened my Macs “System Preference” -> at the bottom i could see i already had the Cuda/OpenGL application BUT if you don’t then go here and download the latest version or the version you need.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html open it and go through the installation or update process. then restart your computer.
  2. once the computer is back on log back into your Mac account and check in adobe premiere and after effects to see if Cuda/OpenGL was active. *It was not for me, it was only allowing CPU choice as option.* here is how you check for Adobe.
  3. Open Adobe premiere,then go to FILE > PROJECT SETTINGS > GENERAL. where it says RENDER you should see the choice of Cuda/OpenGL or what you want. if it is not there then it means Cuda/OpenGL is not active and your still using the motherboard software to render video.
  4. For After Effects program, when it opens up, at the top on the left side Click on AFTER EFFECTS > PREFERENCES> PREVIEWS. when the PREFERENCES box opens, look for the PREVIEWS tab, click it. The click on the GPU INFORMATION box.
    where it says “Ray-tracing" you should see the choice of GPU or CPU, if it says CPU only, then it means Cuda/OpenGL is Not active and your still using the software to render video.
  5. Copy down the exact name of your graphics card just as After Effects is displaying to you. if its not displaying your graphics card name properly then go to the GPUSniffer file. You can do this by quoting and closing the After Effects program.
    Right-Click on Adobe after Effects cc software application, choose “SHOW CONTENT” > CONTENTS > then open the Right-Click on “GPUSniffer” > SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS > CONTENTS > MacOs > Double click/Open the file “GPUSniffer”
  6. if it does not say the the name of your graphics card and says this instead ” NVIDIA GeForce Pre-Release Unknown OpenGL Engine “ do this
  7. Right-Click on Adobe after Effects application, choose “SHOW CONTENT” -> CONTENTS -> then open the file “raytracer_supported_cards.txt”
    Now it may not let you edit the file directly so you may need to make a copy, edit the copied version, then save it back into the folder. use your password if you are asked.
  8. I added a variation of my graphics card names to the list because i was hoping one of them would be the correct one and the file would detect it. i added to the list.

GeForce GT 740
NVIDIA GT 740
EVGA GeForce GT 740
GeForce GT 740sc
GeForce GT 740 sc
GeForce GT 740 Sc
GeForce GT 740 SC

I then saved the file back into the Contents folder. Restarted my computer and did all the checks to see if my Cuda/OpenGL was now visible in Adobe Premier and After effects. No joy. (maybe some joy for you at this point)

1. NOW this part i filmed on my phone while i did it because i did something similar in the past and i my screen would not come back on even though the computer started up fine. so i needed a way i can still select things and turn the screen back on if things go wrong and not have to do a hard bios reset. ok, i read on Tonymac website somewhere that you have to restart your computer by going into your bios settings -> PERIPHERALS -> IntelGraphics to DISABLED, save settings
  2. Restart computer, login to your mac account, do checks to see if GPU or OPENGL is enabled. if it is not in install the latest web drivers for your mac. because I’m on Mavericks, i googled and found this: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77751/en-us.
  3. install it and restart your computer, log back into your mac account. Click on the Nvidia icon at the top of the screen and select “Nvidia Web Drivers” and restart your computer. if you do not see the Nvidia icon after installing it, go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES > NVIDIA DRIVER MANAGER > select “Show NVIDIA Driver Manager in menu bar”.
  4. Now go back to menu bar at the top, now select “Nvidia Web Drivers”. restart computer and do your checks in Adobe after effects and premiere and it should all be there.
  5. I noticed that my computer froze at some point later on when everything seemed to be working, so i went back into my Bios settings and > -> PERIPHERALS -> IntelGraphics to ENABLED, save settings. restarted my computer and its been working like a dream since.

Just so you know, CUDA and OpenGL are not the same thing. Adobe uses either CUDA or OpenCL. In the end you made this a lot more difficult than it needed to be.

Just so you know, CUDA and OpenGL are not the same thing. Adobe uses either CUDA or OpenCL. In the end you made this a lot more difficult than it needed to be.

oh thank you... i was wondering all this time how i could make my life easier and become the president of the world in the mean time. i would like one more of your marvellous tips that seems to help.why do people say stuff just for the sake of it just to look like some type of knowledge god when they are not even helping by talking!!?:banghead:

as i stated... in the post, feel free to refine the steps... its just what i did to get things working when they were not working beforehand.
I did not have CUDA or OpenCL active at all, but through the steps i took they are both active
Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 04.35.14.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back