Contribute
Register

[FIX] Coffee Lake Intel UHD Graphics 630 on macOS Mojave: HDMI 1.4/2.0 Output Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:
Thanks,Austere.J
I have tested this solution for a few days.
My 4k display is LG 27UK650
I use the connection way as below:
Laptop [HDMI 2.0] <------ HDMI 2.0 Cable ------> [HDMI 2.0] display
At the beginning I can only got 4k@30Hz display via HDMI2.0 <-->HDMI2.0.But I checked the display's manual and it's supported 4K@60Hz only if HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour is enabled.I enabled this setting , and I plugged the cable into the HDMI 2.0 port BEFORE the system boots.Display was lit up and got [email protected] also supports hot-plugin and display will be lit up fine.It seems to work normally.But it turns into blackscreen and has no signal again when wakes up from sleeping.The HDMI adapter you mentioned in content seems to be lost.

How can I keep the HDMI adapter working all the time ? It will be very appreciated if you could provide me some suggestions.

.It seems to work normally.But it turns into blackscreen and has no signal again when wakes up from sleeping.The HDMI adapter you mentioned in content seems to be lost.

Also have same case like your, My way to make it work is reboot the display. Obviously it is not the optimal solution for this.

With this set up, I have noticed one other behavior that I have't managed to fix - after sleep the laptop brightness seems to be significantly reduced with no way to brighten it again outside of rebooting the os.

I have some good news for you. HDMI 2.0 hotplug after the system boots is now working now.

Public test will be available soon.

The public test stage 2 is now available. Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks for your amazing job !You have done so much for XPS 9570.
Here were my test results:

1. No need to plug HDMI 2.0 cable before booting into system, support hot plug now;

2. 4K@60Hz 1080 HDPi is not supported and display loss signal after the system wakes up, no matter keep HDMI 2.0 cable attached or not before sleep.

3. The display would be lit up only if I set 4K@30Hz 1080 HDPi by RDM after the system wakes up.

4. macOS could detect Two IOHDACodecDevice under HDEF successfully but the display remained to be no signal.

It seems that HDMI 2.0 port can't get 4K@60Hz transmission speed after the system wakes up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 9.14.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 9.14.11 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 377
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 9.16.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 9.16.46 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 435
2. 4K@60Hz 1080 HDPi is not supported and display loss signal after the system wakes up, no matter keep HDMI 2.0 cable attached or not before sleep.

Thanks for your response.

What do you mean by not supported? You mean you can't even get 1080p HiDPI before putting the system to sleep?

3. The display would be lit up only if I set 4K@30Hz 1080 HDPi by RDM after the system wakes up.

Hmm, really interesting result. In my case, the display still works and is lit up after the system wakes up.

4. macOS could detect Two IOHDACodecDevice under HDEF successfully but the display remained to be no signal.

Good, so in your case HDMI audio output actually works, right?

Please provide a problem reporting file (use gen_debug.sh) as suggested in the FAQ.
It could help me know what's going on behind the scene.

Hey,sorry I am late for response.I am so busy at university now.
Thanks for your response.

What do you mean by not supported? You mean you can't even get 1080p HiDPI before putting the system to sleep?
I mean that the display will work on 4k@60hz 1080P HiDPI only before the system sleeps.

Once the system sleeps and wakes up, the display will keep signal lost on 4k@60hz 1080HiDPI.

But it would be lit up after I set the 4K@30hz 1080HiDPI by RDM.The display is still 1080HiDPI, but only work on 30Hz.

So sad about it....Is it a bug of my display possibly ?I am not sure about it.

Good, so in your case HDMI audio output actually works, right?
Yes, HDMI audio output indeed works as long as the display is lit up and gets signal.

The reporting file is attached.It will be really helpful if you could provide me some suggestions.

Attachments

• debug_1597.zip
    6 MB · Views: 209
@Austere.J / FireWolf

I have two similar setups running macOS 10.14.4 / Macmini8,1 SMBIOS (similar clover-config / hardware-setup / cableing / bios settings + version) and am facing probably similar HDMI 2.0 issues:

The systems run two LG 4k@60Hz monitors attached to each of those machines' internal UHD 630 GPU (one via DP the other via HDMI 2.0 through a MegaChips MCDP2800 DisplayPort1.2a-to-HDMI 2.0 Converter soldered onto the board).

One of them runs pretty good with both displays set to 3840x2160@60Hz / ARGB2101010.

The other machine however faces massive flickering and green glitching using the HDMI2.0 port which other users of this board seem to experience as well (swapped cables and monitors in between the two machines without any difference).

I also compared the EDID of the connected monitors between the two setups and ran AGDCDiagnose but the only thing I could find that differs is the output of AGDCDiagnose's "Display Metric Tool" which shows a lot more entries on the working machine compared to the other. I did attach the two corresponding outputs.

I’m using a minimal config along with WEG 1.2.8 following all requirements of https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md.

AppleALC.kext (1.3.7)
IntelMausiEthernet.kext (2.4.1d1)
Lilu.kext (1.3.5)
USBInjectAll.kext (0.7.1)
VirtualSMC.kext (1.0.3)
WhateverGreen.kext (1.2.8)

As I mentioned in another thread in this forum already regarding fb-patching for this specific board:

I do think that only framebuffer-con0 must be patched in order to have all ports working. framebuffer-con1 is the HDMI 2.0 port which uses the MegaChips MCDP2800 and therefore is a "DP device" thus fb-patching the port to "HDMI" is actually wrong.

To further support this assumption, the real MacMini 8,1 also uses a MegaChips converter along with the unpatched AAPL,ig-platform-id <07009b3e>.

Having mentioned that shouldn't it work just the way it is for HDMI2.0 in this case (without any overrides through framebuffer-conX-alldata or framebuffer-conX-type) ?

If there is a chance to provide me with a 1.2.8_CFL_HDMI_v2 for FB1 (instead of 2) I'd be happy to check if it also fixes this issue..

Thanks
Max

Attachments

• AGDCDiagnose_non_working_machine.txt
    84 KB · Views: 111
  • AGDCDiagnose_working_machine.txt
    116.2 KB · Views: 112
  • clover_config.plist
    3.9 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
I've given stage 2 a test on a 1080p 9570 using a stock configuration from https://github.com/bavariancake/XPS9570-macOS, other than changing the DPCD max rate for the 1080 display, adding the additional `-igfxcflhdmi -igfxcflhdmi2` boot flags, and using the kext from `weg_1-2-8_cfl_hdmi_v2-zip`.

I have two Acer K272HUL 1440p displays attached, one via HDMI and one via USB-C using a Cable Matters multiport adapter. All test scenarios pass _except_ audio. No audio devices are detected (audio _does_ work using my macbook pro).

I'm unsure if the displays or my cables are HDMI 2.0.

It's also worth noting that the ethernet port (this requires a driver), additional usb-a ports, and charging cable from the multiport adapter also function correctly.

Attachments

• graphics.png
    graphics.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 273
I've given stage 2 a test on a 1080p 9570 using a stock configuration from https://github.com/bavariancake/XPS9570-macOS, other than changing the DPCD max rate for the 1080 display, adding the additional `-igfxcflhdmi -igfxcflhdmi2` boot flags, and using the kext from `weg_1-2-8_cfl_hdmi_v2-zip`.

I have two Acer K272HUL 1440p displays attached, one via HDMI and one via USB-C using a Cable Matters multiport adapter. All test scenarios pass _except_ audio. No audio devices are detected (audio _does_ work using my macbook pro).

I'm unsure if the displays or my cables are HDMI 2.0.

It's also worth noting that the ethernet port (this requires a driver), additional usb-a ports, and charging cable from the multiport adapter also function correctly.
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back