Contribute
Register

Fit thin ITX in iMac over LVDS/eDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

i planing to fit a thin itx mainboard like the Intel DQ77KB or newer board into an 24" or 27" iMac from 2008/09.
i hope some people here can help me by same question.

The plan is to connect the internal Display direct to the eDP/LVDS connector of the mainboard.
Here i had found the Pinouts of all connectors:
24" 2008 iMac : LM240WU2
27" 2009 iMac : lm270wq1
Intel DQ77KB : Manuel

So i dont understand the connector of the 27" iMac right, but if i see it right i can use a 40pin to 30 pin LVDS cable to connect the 24" 2008 iMac display to the mainboard. The problem is i cant find a cheap cable for this. All mods here use LVDS to HDMI/DVI/VGA boards to connect the original iMac display to the motherboard. That is no sulotion for me.

The next problem is i am not sure how i need to connect the backlight board on my mainboard btw. i need to check whether i can use the original iMac backlight board.

Atm i such a cheap iMac to buy, if i had find one i will planning for details like will i use the original psu or will i take an extern AC-DC psu.

hope you has idea for me and can help me by my project.

Hello,

So you have decided to mod an LVDS iMac. I am planning on resurrecting my 24in 2006 iMac soon, and here is my research.

To convert the LVDS signal to DP,HDMI,DVI,VGA, you are definitely going to need a controller board. Find the Model number of your LCD and search on eBay "(model number) Controller Board". There is a seller called "eq store" where I bought my controller board. They are very helpful and you can ask them anything.

As far as powering the display, you will need to choose one of the two options:

1. LCD PSU. If you have a larger display, this board which usually is the same that is used to power LCD TV's will power your inverter and controller board. The basic connections for this method are the Controller Board, Inverter/Backlight Board, and PSU each connecting to each other. eQ store will help you pick out one of these.

2. Laptop PSU. If you have a smaller or lower power display you can simply plug in your inverter to the controller board and power your controller board with a Laptop PSU. Not sure about this option, you will have to ask eQ store or another seller.

Happy Modding!
FlyingApple

i think your research is not right. Thin itx boards has LVDS and Backlight control connecter on the board. so normaly i can use a LVDS LCD like this out of the i mac connect directly to the motherboard without a controller board or i am not right ?

i think your research is not right. Thin itx boards has LVDS and Backlight control connecter on the board. so normaly i can use a LVDS LCD like this out of the i mac connect directly to the motherboard without a controller board or i am not right ?
YOU might be right, but I think it would be simpler to convert your LCD to HDMI/DVI and standard power connections, then connect it to the thin mini itx board.

I am familiar with the Thin ITX platform quite well, I have also been researching that for a while. I decided not to go with that format due to the spotty support (not a widely used format). I am not familiar with the LVDS and backlight controls on the board however. I would probably suggest to check how much power your display requires- your backlight connector might not supply enough power.

I've the same motherboard but I' ve decided to turn on a external lcd controller board because I don't understand what I connect the lvds.
I Wait any reply like you

i think i will use a self made custom cable for the first test.

Hi,
I know that this post is and old post, but I have a similar problem and I really need help on this.

I bought one like this LCD on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optrex-8...68-AA084XB01/303110243953?hash=item4692c74671

Optrex and Mitsubishi, both have the same model. This LCD has a 20 pin lvds connector and I would like to connect it to a Gigabyte H81TN motherboard, which has a 40 pin connector.
As this is for my Macintosh Plus hackintosh project, I would like to be able to connect directly the LCD to the motherboard.

I have looked into converters and that could be an option, but that would be my last resort.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Pedro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back