Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

I finally have my first CustoMac (after buying Apple Mac's for 12 years) up and running. Now to Overclocking. I wanted to get your thoughts before I mess around in BIOS and make sure I understand the stuff. I have an i7 2600k 3.4/3.8 Turbo running w/ H60 Cooler on Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 board.

sandyBridge i7 2600k CPUs are now easier to OC. You only need to worry about CPU Multiplier (or Intel Turbo Boost) to get the CPU to run at a 'safe' speed. I am okay in going to 4.3Ghz for max as I need a stable system for 24/7 Film and Audio work.

So, only thing I should modify is the CPU multiplier (or Turbo Boost) but not both and reboot? Can anyone explain which situations or when I should be modifying the vCore parameter and what it shoudle be at? Is the CPU should be under 1.4v at all time as guideline?

Can someone please explain easily what are DVID and LLC and how they are used?

RAM - I am using Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 1.50v chips. So with the i7 they don't use FSB but have the memory controller built in. What is the maximum memory speed they are able to handle?

What modifications should I be making to the RAM in BIOS to get the best optimial speed. I think it shows up as 1066 not 1600 right now.

Monitoring - on the Mac, what tools should I download and run overnight to make sure its stable please? What results should I expect? For temp, I read that 75C is the maximum it should go at anytime but what should be "acceptable"

Thanks for all your help.
PG

Just touch the multiplier!
For 1600MHz memory speed set "System Memory Multiplier" to 16.00, maybe you need to set the exact SPD settings of the memory to get it stable… (for u 9-9-9-24).
Max vcore is 1,375, you dont need to tweek other voltage stuff (like DVID and LLC).
By increasing the vcore the produced heat is increasing exponentially! So you should try to check out the sweet spot of your CPU, by starting a "high" vcore, testing the stability and lowering the vcore, testing,…
75°C is really the limit for long time stability!

Best testing method is Windows + prime95 (for torturing the CPU) + CoreTemp (to monitor the CPUs temps).

im stable at 4 ghz and 1.19 volts no llc. at 4.2 i step it up to 1.205-1.21 and have not had a problem with this but depends on cpu cooling and everything. not much of a difference to be needing the extra speed and runs fairly cool at 4. i would start with something like this and then when you need the extra power you can always step it up

beadomtroy said:
I've gotten really great results with this settings for the cpu:
Multiplier: 45
load-line: level 7
vcore: 1.35
everything else is auto
Temps have been awesome, at idle around 30c and full load no higher than 60c.

Tryed your setting with success!

ScreenShot2012-02-20at10750PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back