Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170-AR
CPU
i5 6600k
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1070
Hi All,

Very new to this but have been interested in doing this for a very long time now.
I have done some research however have not found a compiled source on compatible components.

This is my current build with Windows 10 currently running for approx 1 year now.

MB: Asus Z170-AR
CPU: i5 6600k
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC

1 - Will these components be compatible and function without any compromise at all?
2 - Do i need to consider other components as well such as RAM, Fan, SSD, HDD, PSU etc or it doesnt matter?
3 - Can you direct me on how i can dual boot high sierra on my existing windows 10 desktop pls?

Thank you very much, i really appreciate it.

Hi @yunal3sca,

Could you map out your entire desktop:
  1. Include a link to the support (official) page for your Motherboard and CPU as well.
  2. Map out your current build.
    • BIOS Version
    • Ram.
    • Drive with windows (SSD/HDD) and drive OS X will be installed on (SSD/HDD).
    • Any information you think might be relevant.
  3. Do you have access to a Apple computer (iMac,MacBook,MacPro) any MacOS should work.

Happy Hacking
--CuriousMac

Hi @yunal3sca,

Could you map out your entire desktop:
  1. Include a link to the support (official) page for your Motherboard and CPU as well.
  2. Map out your current build.
    • BIOS Version
    • Ram.
    • Drive with windows (SSD/HDD) and drive OS X will be installed on (SSD/HDD).
    • Any information you think might be relevant.
  3. Do you have access to a Apple computer (iMac,MacBook,MacPro) any MacOS should work.

Happy Hacking
--CuriousMac
Hi!

Thank you for replying.

Here are the details:
- MB link: https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-AR/HelpDesk_CPU/
- CPU: https://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-90-GHz-

- BIOS VERSION: American Megatrends Inc. 1902, 24/06/2016

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3466 (PC4-27700) C16 - Intel 100/200 CMR16GX4M2C3466C16

- Windows 10 installed on SSD (256GB)
- HDD1 50% filled (2TB)
- HDD2 1% filled (4TB)
Ideally i would like to split HDD2 into 2 partitions(keeping existing files) and install OSX there (allocating 80%).
Alternatively i can clear HDD2 into HDD1, dedicating HDD2 completely for OSX.

My setup is currently hooked up to a 4k TV so would like to keep that moving into OSX.

Yes i can borrow someones macbook :)

Sorry im not sure what other information to include.

Last edited:
Awesome, not to leave you hanging i am quite busy today. Although I have time on Sunday to create you a configuration.

Mean while you could Download these so long:

HappyHacking :wave:
--CuriousMac

Thank you I really appreciate it.

Not sure if relevant. I don't use WiFi on my setup. I currently have a Powerline adapter using Ethernet for internet connection. So please provide as much info as possible to get everything running. Being new to the scene, I'm so confused looking at all the tutorials and youtube clips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if relevant. I don't use WiFi on my setup. I currently have a Powerline adapter using Ethernet for internet connection. So please provide as much info as possible to get everything running. Being new to the scene, I'm so confused looking at all the tutorials and youtube clips.

Sure I will add the appropriate kexts to load Ethernet. This would be my second build if I get your PC successfully up and running I will create a guide.

I will create a short guide for you to follow and what I have done. So that you will be able to do it yourself next time.

Create a bootable USB for High Sierra using this Intel Guide

--Curious/\/\ac

Just roughly went over the intel guide I linked you to.

Under the bios section make sure to follow it correctly as this can cause clover/macOS to not boot.

If you have created the installer correctly you now have a bootable OS X drive with clover installed (Default clover settings).

Lets try booting from the USB without changing anything to see if it will start the installer or crash/reboot/freeze at that point we can determine what is needed.

Booting Options:
  1. Insert USB into a MB USB (2.0) port not an extension port.
  2. Boot into the USB drive, clover should display
  3. Goto clover options and add -v to the boot args
  4. Hit Return and try booting into the "Install High Sierra" drive

Report back, if the boot freezes or passes.

If the boot freezes take a picture of what the screen is displaying and upload it here.

Then use EFI Mounter to mount the EFI Partition compress the EFI folder into a .ZIP file and upload it along with the Error Image

Curious/\/\ac

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back