Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I am having issues with my Installation on an optiplex 380, install completes fine using unibeast (no access to ethernet, but my wi-fi usb works). My Powercolor Radeon HD5670 is detected, but I am having no luck trying to get my machine to boot from the hard drive even after installing chimera / Easy DSDT. do I need to edit something manually?

Is this a single boot system with one hard drive? How many partitions?

What version of OS X are you installing? What version of MultiBeast are you using?

Your post implies that you can boot from your USB installer. Is this the case?

Keep the faith, you are almost there.

neil

timbck2 said:
superaural said:
Hi,

I am having issues with my Installation on an optiplex 380, install completes fine using unibeast (no access to ethernet, but my wi-fi usb works). My Powercolor Radeon HD5670 is detected, but I am having no luck trying to get my machine to boot from the hard drive even after installing chimera / Easy DSDT. do I need to edit something manually?

Is your SATA set to AHCI mode?

The Optiplex 380 has no BIOS option for an AHCI mode, which I guess is one of the reasons I am running into this issue :oops:

neilhart said:
Is this a single boot system with one hard drive? How many partitions?

What version of OS X are you installing? What version of MultiBeast are you using?

Your post implies that you can boot from your USB installer. Is this the case?

Keep the faith, you are almost there.

neil

Thank you for the encouraging response! I am trying to run OSX Lion 10.7.4 using the latest version of Multibeast (4.6.1 Lion Edition). I am able to boot into the OS via USB with no issues (Video card properly recognized, able to install my usb Wi-Fi adapter, Desktop is showing up as a "Macbook Pro" for some reason), but not via the hard drive. The hard drive is a 250 seagate (single partition, no other hard drives installed)

timbck2 said:
Encouraging words aside, as far as I know if there's no AHCI mode you can't run Lion. You could add a PCIe SATA card (which will have AHCI) and move your hard drive to that. There are several that are compatible, but I believe the general consensus is that cards with the ASMedia 1061 SATA chipset are best.

I am able to run it with no issues booting via the usb (no kernel panics or anything) so it is possible my machine is set to run AHCI by default (I can't verify this because the dell BIOS does not have an option where you can select it). If it isn't on AHCI, would it be possible to run snow leopard on the machine?

Showing up as a Mac Pro is the default from MultiBeast which can be changed using the Customization menu and the System Definitions. Hint, always select System Utilities.

Can I assume that you used OS X Disk Utility to partition and format the hard drive and that it is a GUID partition scheme?

If you have not tried to run MultiBeast and select the bootloader, please do so now.

neil

neilhart said:
Showing up as a Mac Pro is the default from MultiBeast which can be changed using the Customization menu and the System Definitions. Hint, always select System Utilities.

Can I assume that you used OS X Disk Utility to partition and format the hard drive and that it is a GUID partition scheme?

If you have not tried to run MultiBeast and select the bootloader, please do so now.

neil

Neil,

Used the OSX disk utility partition and formatted the drive for mac os (journaled), boot loader was selected with MultiBeast but machine still hangs on the apple loading screen when i try to boot straight from the hard drive. I checked on dell's support site and found an updated version of the BIOS for my machine and will try that. will check back here afterwards. thanks for all the help so far

First of all sorry for my bad english, but I think I can help. I also have a optiplex380 and know your problem. with me now mountain lion runs without problems . ..."sill waiting for root device"... is your fault.If you want to googling yourself. At boot screen typing -F, -v and it boot, but that "not always". After much back and forth 1000's kext i am now back to vanilla kext´s
Finally:
Only the org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in extra folder i adapt and it boots without problems. PS: a kext for the lan card is also available

MY smbios:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>02/29/08</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>.....................</string> -------- your own SMserial
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

MY boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string> -------- your own for your Panel
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

hope it helps

I know this is old, but I just setup my 380 with yosemite, and wanted to know what audio kext you used for lion. I know the OS is older, but perhaps it would give me a starting point. thanks!

First of all sorry for my bad english, but I think I can help. I also have a optiplex380 and know your problem. with me now mountain lion runs without problems . ..."sill waiting for root device"... is your fault.If you want to googling yourself. At boot screen typing -F, -v and it boot, but that "not always". After much back and forth 1000's kext i am now back to vanilla kext´s
Finally:
Only the org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in extra folder i adapt and it boots without problems. PS: a kext for the lan card is also available

MY smbios:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>02/29/08</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>.....................</string> -------- your own SMserial
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

MY boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1024x768x32</string> -------- your own for your Panel
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>