Contribute
Register

First time hackintosh—can't get past Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Feartech, you win! High Sierra booted successfully.

Which leads me to believe that the problem with 10.11 is my processor. I can't find anyone who has successfully gotten 10.11 to boot on a i5-9600K. I didn't fully understand the difference between the different generation of i5s when purchasing equipment.

I'll see if High Sierra finishes installing, and then maybe look into downgrading my processor and trying with El Capitan again.

More soon...

@Feartech ... I can't find anyone who has successfully gotten 10.11 to boot on a i5-9600K ...

Downgrading your processor to an El Capitan compatible one would probably need a Skylake CPU and a Z170 motherboard to get proper functionality, but we can work around this. If you want to change your hardware, that's your choice. However as I mentioned previously 10.11.6 should boot a Gigabyte Z390 with i5-9600K - if you spoof a Skylake CPU.

Here's how you do that in the Kernel and Kext Patches section of config.plist using Clover Configurator. However, because you can't yet boot at all, enter this figure using the Clover bootloader Options menu (Select the CPU section, press Enter on the FakeID line and type in the spoof ID, then press Enter again. Return and boot):

Fake.jpg

Here's my Clover v5102 booted El Capitan today:

ElCap1.jpg

My Radeon GPU isn't supported in 10.11.6 unfortunately, so that's why it's showing as Display 7 MB etc. and is not accelerated. I have set up the iGPU instead using a Skylake spoofed ID, but didn't have time to test for you.

The CPU is showing as "Unknown" too, but beggars can't be choosers, as they say.

Only other thing to note is that I run my memory at stock 2133MHz instead of 3000MHz because wake-from-sleep un-mounts external drives at the higher speed. A known bug generally.

System Definition is "iMac14,2".

Here's the Boot section of my config.plist:

Boot.jpg

"-radcodec" is just a part of my experiments to get the GPU recognised so ignore it.

:)

Last edited:
@UtterDisbelief, thanks! I did try to spoof the Skylake, but after reading your instructions, I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right.

I think I might complete the High Sierra install and then see if I can get FCP 7 working on it. That, and allergy to change, were the main drivers of me wanting to stay with 10.11.

If it ends up working okay for me, I might just bite the bullet and upgrade my laptop too.

Anyhow, thanks!

@Feartech @halo12 @UtterDisbelief

I made a new post as I'm having graphics problems with High Sierra:

@Feartech @halo12 @UtterDisbelief

I made a new post as I'm having graphics problems with High Sierra:
i don't use nvidia cards

@Feartech I can see why!

Unfortunately, I can't even get the graphics to work with the onboard GPU. Weird, right?
reason being as dual intel and nvidia is not supported on a laptop hack, hence the reason why I modded my bios to disable the nvidia card and just have the Intel graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back