Contribute
Register

First time builders compatibility questions / buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
First of all I'm not native in english so please excuse potential mistakes in my language.
I wanted to build myself a Hackintosh for a while now and it seems like I'll finally get to it. I am writing this post, to make sure that all the parts are compatible, maybe get some advice on which parts I should switch out and how I should go about installing macOS. First of all, I want this machine to be able to fulfill all my everyday need, reaching from Web browsing over running Virtual Machines to gaming, while staying fairly quiet. It should also be kind of future proof at that.

Now to the parts I've picked out so far:

CPU: i7 6700k, overclocked to around 4.6 GHz hopefully. 250 € used
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 90€
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 150€
Ram: 2x8gb 16gb DDR4, I'll just get the cheapest there is so 100€
Storage:I have everything i need which is a 128gb ssd and 2tb sshd for bootcamp and 525 gb crucial ssd for macOS so 0€
Graphics Card: I'll use a Gtx 750 I have until hopefully macOS gets compatibility for Pascal cards, then probably 1060 or 1070 0€
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PCGH 115€
PSU: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze 75€

As an operating System I'd like Sierra obviously but el cap or Yosemite would be fine.

Pls comment your thoughts,

Fledi1

Last edited:
I want this machine to be able to fulfill all my everyday need, reaching from Web browsing over running Virtual Machines to gaming, while staying fairly quiet. It should also be kind of future proof at that.
For the things you've stated above you won't need the extra expense and trouble an X99 system brings with it. Look into a Z170 and I7-6700K build. Saves you money, much easier to install and maintain macOS and you'll have the support of many other users with the same hardware. It's always better to buy new rather than used. Saving the small amount of money is not worth the risk in my opinion. The 6700K can be easily overclocked to 4.5 GHz and perform about as well as 5820K.

Last edited:
For the things you've stated above you won't need the extra expense and trouble an X99 system brings with it. Look into a Z170 and I7-6700K build. Saves you money, much easier to install and maintain macOS and you'll have the support of many other users with the same hardware. It's always better to buy new rather than used. Saving the small amount of money is not worth the risk in my opinion. The 6700K can be easily overclocked to 4.5 GHz and perform about as well as 5820K.

Thanks for your comment, I'll get myself a used i7 6700k for around 250 € then, and a new Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 to go with that. I haven't had any bad experiences with buying used yet, so I am willing to take the risk to save 100 €.

Thanks for your comment, I'll get myself a used i7 6700k for around 250 € then, and a new Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 to go with that. I haven't had any bad experiences with buying used yet, so I am willing to take the risk to save 100 €.
Good idea, it's usually safe to buy a used CPU. Motherboards can have bent pins and other damage to the circuits on the PCB that the seller may not know about. Having a full warranty with a new board is the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back