Contribute
Register

First-time builder - Is everything looking good here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi y'all, I'm new around here but I've been reading up posts in this forum (and other sites) as I'm interested in building a mATX Hackintosh (first-ever build!) for myself using a Power Mac G5 case (or a Lenovo Ideacentre K210). I've already taken the liberty of looking through the Buyer's Guide, in addition to looking up the 'kits' I'll need to use the G5 case.

Here's what I've chosen for the build (which won't happen until a month or two from now):

G5 Hackintosh Components
Intel Core i3-8350K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING (WI-FI AC) Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
ADATA Ultimate SU800 256GB 2.5" SSD + Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Low Profile
Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX PSU
TP-Link - Archer T9E PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter <---Do I need this?
Apple Power Mac G5 Case
The Laser Hive mATX G5 Case kit

I've got a few questions for the above setup:

(1) Although I've used the Buyer's Guide for this, there are some parts here (like the CPU Cooler and the memory) which aren't there. I won't have any compatibility issue, will I?
(2) Are there any better alternatives for the parts I've chosen (e.g., should I use a 7xxx series CPU instead of an 8xxx series one, etc.)? I'm gonna be using this computer for both school and gaming.
(3) Finally, I know that I'll be getting kits from The Laser Hive (based off the good reviews) but is there any other 'conversion parts' I'll need to pull this off? If this isn't the appropriate forum to ask this particular question, I apologize in advance for that.

Bump? If anyone has any advice for my first build, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi y'all, I'm new around here but I've been reading up posts in this forum (and other sites) as I'm interested in building a mATX Hackintosh (first-ever build!) for myself using a Power Mac G5 case (or a Lenovo Ideacentre K210). I've already taken the liberty of looking through the Buyer's Guide, in addition to looking up the 'kits' I'll need to use the G5 case.

Here's what I've chosen for the build (which won't happen until a month or two from now):

G5 Hackintosh Components
TP-Link - Archer T9E PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter <---Do I need this?
Apple Power Mac G5 Case

(1) Although I've used the Buyer's Guide for this, there are some parts here (like the CPU Cooler and the memory) which aren't there. I won't have any compatibility issue, will I?
(2) Are there any better alternatives for the parts I've chosen (e.g., should I use a 7xxx series CPU instead of an 8xxx series one, etc.)? I'm gonna be using this computer for both school and gaming.
(3) Finally, I know that I'll be getting kits from The Laser Hive (based off the good reviews) but is there any other 'conversion parts' I'll need to pull this off? If this isn't the appropriate forum to ask this particular question, I apologize in advance for that.

(1) As long as the memory is compatible you should be fine. Check the Memory Compatibility List provided by the motherboard manufacturer to be sure. I use Kingston memory myself which does not appear in the Buyer's Guide. It works fine.
(2) Which MacOS version do you plan to install and run? If it is High Sierra, the current build should be fine. If you want to run an older version like Sierra, a 7th generation CPU and a 200 series motherboard would be better.

If you are going to use broadband internet and not Wifi, you do not need a Wifi adapter.

(1) As long as the memory is compatible you should be fine. Check the Memory Compatibility List provided by the motherboard manufacturer to be sure. I use Kingston memory myself which does not appear in the Buyer's Guide. It works fine.
(2) Which MacOS version do you plan to install and run? If it is High Sierra, the current build should be fine. If you want to run an older version like Sierra, a 7th generation CPU and a 200 series motherboard would be better.

If you are going to use broadband internet and not Wifi, you do not need a Wifi adapter.

Okay, perfect! I was planning on running High Sierra, so that's good to hear. Thanks for the feedback :)

G5 Hackintosh Components
Apple Power Mac G5 Case

It looks pretty good. The only thing I would suggest is that you consider an AMD video card. AMD cards can be more compatible with macOS and be less problematic. I recently purchased an AMD RX 560 for $110 and it has been working very well. This card should be in the same price range as the GTX 1050 Ti you are considering.

Also, for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, you may want to consider using a BCM94360CS2 with an M.2 adaptor. Then, replace the built-in Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card on your motherboard. You can see how this is done in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back