Contribute
Register

First time builder. Advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated the BIOS. Ram still not recognized, unfortunately.

I chose the PEG option before and after the reboot my monitor wouldn't turn on, so I had to reset all BIOS settings in order to see anything again. I've connected it to an HDMI port, as I don't have a DVI port. Could the PEG option be responsible for that? Or was it perhaps another option I turned on?

The additional options you've mentioned (apart from that HFS Disk that turned up) I haven't seen yet in any of my attempts.

Usually it just restarts after the initial install screen and I end up in the same Clover screen as in the image I have provided.

I'll give it a second try with PEG hopefully my monitor will turn on this time

Hmm... Weird. When I updated BIOS, it allowed macOS to see all my RAM... If you are still having issues with the RAM showing, you may have to install your two sticks of RAM in to B2 and A2. I know the manual recommends B1 and A1, but that was how I got my RAM to show at first.

1. When you first boot from your USB flash drive, select the installer on the USB flash drive.
  2. Once the installer has loaded, initialize the drive you want to install macOS on using Disk Utility.
  3. When done, quit Disk Utility and proceed with installation of macOS.
  4. The system will restart on its own.
  5. When it reaches the Clover boot menu, you should now choose the installer that is on the hard drive or SSD that you installed macOS on. Do not start from the USB installer anymore.

Not sure why your monitor doesn't show anything... Make sure your monitor cable is connect to your Vega and NOT to the motherboard connectors. You should be able to see the motherboard splash screen and you should be able to see and get in to BIOS.

Hmm... Weird. When I updated BIOS, it allowed macOS to see all my RAM... If you are still having issues with the RAM showing, you may have to install your two sticks of RAM in to B2 and A2. I know the manual recommends B1 and A1, but that was how I got my RAM to show at first.

1. When you first boot from your USB flash drive, select the installer on the USB flash drive.
  2. Once the installer has loaded, initialize the drive you want to install macOS on using Disk Utility.
  3. When done, quit Disk Utility and proceed with installation of macOS.
  4. The system will restart on its own.
  5. When it reaches the Clover boot menu, you should now choose the installer that is on the hard drive or SSD that you installed macOS on. Do not start from the USB installer anymore.

Not sure why your monitor doesn't show anything... Make sure your monitor cable is connect to your Vega and NOT to the motherboard connectors. You should be able to see the motherboard splash screen and you should be able to see and get in to BIOS.

Thanks for your reply!

So, plugging my HDMI cable into the graphics card unfortunately won't show me anything. Is there a way to check if the Mobo even recognizes it? Plugging it into the Mobo does work.

The steps you've provided, that's what I've been trying to do.

Step 5 however, shows me the macOS could not be installed message. See attached image.

So, maybe it's still the USB that is the problem here?

Attachments

• 15379780998675075268131782493251.jpg
    15379780998675075268131782493251.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 56
Thanks for your reply!

So, plugging my HDMI cable into the graphics card unfortunately won't show me anything. Is there a way to check if the Mobo even recognizes it? Plugging it into the Mobo does work.

The steps you've provided, that's what I've been trying to do.

Step 5 however, shows me the macOS could not be installed message. See attached image.

So, maybe it's still the USB that is the problem here?

When you downloaded the High Sierra installer from the App Store, did you get the full installer or just a 19MB file?

Try downloading again and make sure that you have the full installer and recreate your USB installer.

When you downloaded the High Sierra installer from the App Store, did you get the full installer or just a 19MB file?

Try downloading again and make sure that you have the full installer and recreate your USB installer.

At first I indeed had a 19MB installer, so I followed all the steps needed to get the full installer. I would like to try again to make sure, but unfortunately I do not have access to a Mac anymore (I have my old MacBook but whenever I try to install High Sierra, it just won't start the download).

I'll try to find some other way to do it, cause if all the BIOS settings are right, it must be the USB

So, the method above worked. I was finally able to complete to setup and launch MacOS. Thanks @pastrychef for confirming it wasn't the BIOS settings and was probably the bootable USB.

Ethernet is working, GPU is detected (benchmark with Unigine Heaven is attached).

However I have to major problems:

I've used Multibeast according to the guide and installed the kexts with KextBeast. Lilu + Whatevergreen and the VegaTab_56 kext generated with the VGTab-en.app because I noticed my GPU fan is spinning ridiculously fast (it's only quiet right after the apple logo and loading bar disappeared and I'm facing the login screen. Then it will start become louder again). The VegaTab_56 did not fix this for me yet. Any ideas on how to fix this?

My memory is still not detected. Only 1 RAM stick is detected. I tried switching things up and got the 53 error on my Mobo 'Memory initialisation error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed'.
I tried the following configurations:

A1 A2 B1 B2
X 0 X 0 --> 53 error, couldn't do anything
0 0 X X --> Same thing
0 X 0 X --> Only B2 is recognised (this is how I've completed the installation and run the benchmarks)

After each switch attempt I turn of the computer, switch off the PSU and disconnect my PSU cable.

Btw The Mobo now shows me A0 IDE initialisation is started.

So a couple of questions here:
- How can I fix the RAM issue?
- How can I fix the GPU Fan issue?
- What other things should I test to make sure everything is running fine?

*Edit: forgot to attach the Benchmark results
Other minor problems encountered so far: Sleep restarts the computer (with a message that it wasn't properly shut down).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 04.01.33 2copy.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 04.01.33 2copy.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 67
So, the method above worked. I was finally able to complete to setup and launch MacOS. Thanks @pastrychef for confirming it wasn't the BIOS settings and was probably the bootable USB.

Ethernet is working, GPU is detected (benchmark with Unigine Heaven is attached).

However I have to major problems:

I've used Multibeast according to the guide and installed the kexts with KextBeast. Lilu + Whatevergreen and the VegaTab_56 kext generated with the VGTab-en.app because I noticed my GPU fan is spinning ridiculously fast (it's only quiet right after the apple logo and loading bar disappeared and I'm facing the login screen. Then it will start become louder again). The VegaTab_56 did not fix this for me yet. Any ideas on how to fix this?

My memory is still not detected. Only 1 RAM stick is detected. I tried switching things up and got the 53 error on my Mobo 'Memory initialisation error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed'.
I tried the following configurations:

A1 A2 B1 B2
X 0 X 0 --> 53 error, couldn't do anything
0 0 X X --> Same thing
0 X 0 X --> Only B2 is recognised (this is how I've completed the installation and run the benchmarks)

After each switch attempt I turn of the computer, switch off the PSU and disconnect my PSU cable.

Btw The Mobo now shows me A0 IDE initialisation is started.

So a couple of questions here:
- How can I fix the RAM issue?
- How can I fix the GPU Fan issue?
- What other things should I test to make sure everything is running fine?

Don't mix installation methods. If you are using my EFI folder, don't install kexts to /Library/Extensions/.

If your motherboard is reporting RAM errors, maybe something is wrong with the RAM itself. Try running a memory tester.

I don't know of any way to control the fans on Nvidia cards in macOS. As far as I know, Nvidia fans are entirely controlled by the video cards' firmware.

Don't mix installation methods. If you are using my EFI folder, don't install kexts to /Library/Extensions/.

If your motherboard is reporting RAM errors, maybe something is wrong with the RAM itself. Try running a memory tester.

I don't know of any way to control the fans on Nvidia cards in macOS. As far as I know, Nvidia fans are entirely controlled by the video cards' firmware.

I'm not using your EFI Folder, I read about it in your building guide, but it wasn't clear to me what to do with it.
Can I safely remove the kexts installed with Kextbeast and use your EFI folder? Where would I have to put it to get it to work?

It's not a Nvidia card I'm using, it's the MSI Vega 56, same card as yours.

Got it to recognize the other RAM stick! Cleaned it with a cloth and some alcohol and worked straight away!

I'm not using your EFI Folder, I read about it in your building guide, but it wasn't clear to me what to do with it.
Can I safely remove the kexts installed with Kextbeast and use your EFI folder? Where would I have to put it to get it to work?

It's not a Nvidia card I'm using, it's the MSI Vega 56, same card as yours.

Yes. You can remove the kexts you previously installed. Then just replace your entire EFI folder with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back