Contribute
Register

First time builder. Advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, finally received all my parts, just to find out the supplier made a mistake. They send me a Vega 56 instead of a 64 ( I already noticed it was a lot cheaper than the Vega 64's from other suppliers, so they probably just made a mistake on the website ). Now I have the option to return it and order a new Vega 64 (I have to add in another 200 euro's for the upgrade), or, I can just keep the Vega 56 and get small discount for the inconvenience.

Benchmark tests show me that the Vega 56 in some cases outperforms the Vega 64 (especially in Adobe Applications, which I will be using a lot). Also, as I'm not a hardcore gamer and probably play on 1080p anyways, I won't even notice the frames per second difference.

I'm thinking about just sticking with the Vega 56. @pastrychef You had the exact same card right? What is needed in order to get it to work properly (vega fan fix kext as well?)?

So, finally received all my parts, just to find out the supplier made a mistake. They send me a Vega 56 instead of a 64 ( I already noticed it was a lot cheaper than the Vega 64's from other suppliers, so they probably just made a mistake on the website ). Now I have the option to return it and order a new Vega 64 (I have to add in another 200 euro's for the upgrade), or, I can just keep the Vega 56 and get small discount for the inconvenience.

Benchmark tests show me that the Vega 56 in some cases outperforms the Vega 64 (especially in Adobe Applications, which I will be using a lot). Also, as I'm not a hardcore gamer and probably play on 1080p anyways, I won't even notice the frames per second difference.

I'm thinking about just sticking with the Vega 56. @pastrychef You had the exact same card right? What is needed in order to get it to work properly (vega fan fix kext as well?)?

I have the MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost. I have a Vega fan fix kext installed and I also have WhateverGreen installed.

Btw, I did some tweaking and managed to squeeze out considerably more performance from my Vega 56. Details are here. YMMV.

Last edited:
Yeah, so I have the exact same card at home right now. And that tweaking is awesome, definitely worth a try!

I think I'll keep those 200euro's in my pocket and save them for a major GPU upgrade if I ever need one.

Next week I will start my build, can't wait!

Not sure if I need to open a new topic for this, as (hopefully) there might be an easy fix.

I've spent over 6 hours today to get through the MacOS High Sierra installation without any luck. I've tried multiple different boot options and bios settings and am kind of stuck of what to try.

My last try today is set everything according to this topic (roughly the same Mobo): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...gb-ram-evga-gtx-1070-sc2.226011/#Installation

So I basically set these options:
Extreme Tweaker
  • Ai Overclock Tuner > XMP
  • Xtreme Tweaking > Enabled
Advanced
  • System Agent (SA) Configuration > VT-d > Disabled
  • PCH Configuration > IOAPIC 24-119 Entries > Disabled
  • APM Configuration > Power on by PCI-E/PCI > Disabled
  • USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > Auto
  • USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled
  • CPU Configuration > Intel Virtualization Technology > Enabled*
Boot
  • Fast Boot > Disabled
  • Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS
  • Boot Option 1 > USB installer stick (the UEFI choice if there are two entries)
No additional kexts or options (the SMBIOS is already set to 14.2 and the Fake CPUID doesn't apply I think)

I got through the first installation (where it says 2 minutes and than reboots), then I got into clover again and chose External, and now I'm seeing the Apple logo and a loading bar at 65% or so, for the last hour.

I'm going a way for an hour to see if it has continued, but it seems to be stuck.

After this I'm going to try the verbose mode (that should help me debug right?).

Any other things I can try to know what the problem is?

Not sure if I need to open a new topic for this, as (hopefully) there might be an easy fix.

I've spent over 6 hours today to get through the MacOS High Sierra installation without any luck. I've tried multiple different boot options and bios settings and am kind of stuck of what to try.

My last try today is set everything according to this topic (roughly the same Mobo): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...gb-ram-evga-gtx-1070-sc2.226011/#Installation

So I basically set these options:
Extreme Tweaker
  • Ai Overclock Tuner > XMP
  • Xtreme Tweaking > Enabled
Advanced
  • System Agent (SA) Configuration > VT-d > Disabled
  • PCH Configuration > IOAPIC 24-119 Entries > Disabled
  • APM Configuration > Power on by PCI-E/PCI > Disabled
  • USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > Auto
  • USB Configuration > XHCI Hand Off > Enabled
  • CPU Configuration > Intel Virtualization Technology > Enabled*
Boot
  • Fast Boot > Disabled
  • Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS
  • Boot Option 1 > USB installer stick (the UEFI choice if there are two entries)
No additional kexts or options (the SMBIOS is already set to 14.2 and the Fake CPUID doesn't apply I think)

I got through the first installation (where it says 2 minutes and than reboots), then I got into clover again and chose External, and now I'm seeing the Apple logo and a loading bar at 65% or so, for the last hour.

I'm going a way for an hour to see if it has continued, but it seems to be stuck.

After this I'm going to try the verbose mode (that should help me debug right?).

Any other things I can try to know what the problem is?

For the install keep selecting the install tab option in clover until it is no longer present.
Please fill out your personal profile info and list your CPU, motherboard, graphics card etc... it is in the rules and makes it easier for others to help diagnose problems for you. Are you using a gtx 1070?

For the install keep selecting the install tab option in clover until it is no longer present.
Please fill out your personal profile info and list your CPU, motherboard, graphics card etc... it is in the rules and makes it easier for others to help diagnose problems for you. Are you using a gtx 1070?

Thanks for your reply.
Hereby the current specs (not much has changed apart from the you which now is a MSI Radeon RX Vega 56):

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken M22 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX Vega 56 Airboost Video Card
Case: Jonsbo - UMX4 Window Version black ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 800W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Another thing to mention, only one of the ram sticks is detected by default ( I thought I could probably fix this later). According to the Mobo manual it was best to put two sticks in the first and third slot and leave the second and fourth open. Haven't tried switching Rams yet as I first wanted to get the installation done

Another thing to mention, only one of the ram sticks is detected by default ( I thought I could probably fix this later). According to the Mobo manual it was best to put two sticks in the first and third slot and leave the second and fourth open. Haven't tried switching Rams yet as I first wanted to get the installation done

Upgrading to the latest BIOS should get all the RAM recognized.

For installation, you can try following my Z370 build guide. Your hardware should be similar enough that it will work for you. Link to my Z370 build is below in my signature.

I've aborted the current installation because it was stuck.
Upgrading to the latest BIOS should get all the RAM recognized.

For installation, you can try following my Z370 build guide. Your hardware should be similar enough that it will work for you. Link to my Z370 build is below in my signature.

Your guide was the first guide that I'd tried, without any luck. Gave me the error: macOS could not be installed on your computer
So after reading through the forums I created a new bootable USB (another USB stick as well to be sure), but had the same results.

However! I did not update the bios yet, now I have so I'm going to give it a second try (BTW, it does not yet recognize the 2nd RAM stick) with your setting.

One little problem: I can not set the Primary Display to PCIE as I don't have that option.
if I put the iGPU Multi Monitor to Enabled, Primary Display defaults to IGFX. Is it okay like that? See attached image.

Also, second image, if it restarts during installation I keep selecting this External Drive right? Or should I at some point select the HFS?

Attachments

• IMG_20180926_163856.jpg
    IMG_20180926_163856.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20180926_164628.jpg
    IMG_20180926_164628.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
I've aborted the current installation because it was stuck.

Your guide was the first guide that I'd tried, without any luck. Gave me the error: macOS could not be installed on your computer
So after reading through the forums I created a new bootable USB (another USB stick as well to be sure), but had the same results.

However! I did not update the bios yet, now I have so I'm going to give it a second try (BTW, it does not yet recognize the 2nd RAM stick) with your setting.

One little problem: I can not set the Primary Display to PCIE as I don't have that option.
if I put the iGPU Multi Monitor to Enabled, Primary Display defaults to IGFX. Is it okay like that? See attached image.

Also, second image, if it restarts during installation I keep selecting this External Drive right? Or should I at some point select the HFS?

BIOS update should get your RAM recognized.

Select PEG as primary.

When you start your install, boot from the USB flash drive. When it restarts itself, you should have additional boot options such as "FileVault Prebooter From Preboot", etc. Select the new "Install" option. This should be automatically selected by default. Repeatedly booting from the USB flash drive will get you nowhere.

BIOS update should get your RAM recognized.

Select PEG as primary.

When you start your install, boot from the USB flash drive. When it restarts itself, you should have additional boot options such as "FileVault Prebooter From Preboot", etc. Select the new "Install" option. This should be automatically selected by default. Repeatedly booting from the USB flash drive will get you nowhere.

Updated the BIOS. Ram still not recognized, unfortunately.

I chose the PEG option before and after the reboot my monitor wouldn't turn on, so I had to reset all BIOS settings in order to see anything again. I've connected it to an HDMI port, as I don't have a DVI port. Could the PEG option be responsible for that? Or was it perhaps another option I turned on?

The additional options you've mentioned (apart from that HFS Disk that turned up) I haven't seen yet in any of my attempts.

Usually it just restarts after the initial install screen and I end up in the same Clover screen as in the image I have provided.

I'll give it a second try with PEG hopefully my monitor will turn on this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back