Motherboard
ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)
CPU
i7
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi all, hereby a new build. Any comments on the chosen parts?

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken M22 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Jonsbo - UMX4 Window Version (Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Did I forget something? (I already have a monitor/mouse/keyboard)
I might upgrade the video card to a 1080 TI but have not decided if I want to spend that extra 450 bucks.

In my opinion, unless you really need Cuda, it's wiser to go with an AMD card for better compatibility. macOS just works better with AMD than Nvidia.

You may want to consider a slightly higher wattage power supply.

@pastrychef thanks for your reply.

I'll look for a higher wattage psu.

Weren't Nvidia cards recommended in the buyer's guide? https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/august/2018/#NVIDIA_Graphics_Cards

I'll be performing mainly design work (the whole Adobe package including video editing (Premiere / After Effects) and some 3D work (or casual gaming :) ). Is there any card you would recommend (price range 300-600USD?)

Thanks!

@pastrychef thanks for your reply.

I'll look for a higher wattage psu.

Weren't Nvidia cards recommended in the buyer's guide? https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/august/2018/#NVIDIA_Graphics_Cards

I'll be performing mainly design work (the whole Adobe package including video editing (Premiere / After Effects) and some 3D work (or casual gaming :) ). Is there any card you would recommend (price range 300-600USD?)

Thanks!

There was a time where it was easier to get macOS running with an Nvidia card on a hackintosh. But things have changed and many AMD RX-500 series and Vega cards work OOB now and Nvidia cards can be more of a nuisance.

I was using a GTX 1080 and the Nvidia web drivers were causing severe UI lag in macOS 10.13.0. Nvidia didn't fix the bug until 10.13.3 (or was it 10.13.4? I can't remember). There were workarounds by using older versions of the Nvidia web drivers, but it was a PITA that AMD users didn't have to go through.

Apple hasn't used any Nvidia GPUs in a new Mac in a very long time. Even for eGPU, Apple only recommends AMD cards. When putting together a hackintosh, it's always easier to use hardware that's a close to what is used on real Macs.

In your price range, you can go with either an RX 580 or Vega 64 or anything in between.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Rather sad, but true.

There was a time where it was easier to get macOS running with an Nvidia card on a hackintosh. But things have changed and many AMD RX-500 series and Vega cards work OOB now and Nvidia cards can be more of a nuisance.

I was using a GTX 1080 and the Nvidia web drivers were causing severe UI lag in macOS 10.13.0. Nvidia didn't fix the bug until 10.13.3 (or was it 10.13.4? I can't remember). There were workarounds by using older versions of the Nvidia web drivers, but it was a PITA that AMD users didn't have to go through.

Apple hasn't used any Nvidia GPUs in a new Mac in a very long time. Even for eGPU, Apple only recommends AMD cards. When putting together a hackintosh, it's always easier to use hardware that's a close to what is used on real Macs.

In your price range, you can go with either an RX 580 or Vega 64 or anything in between.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Thanks for your reply once again. I really value your opinion and want the video card to run as smooth as possible, that's why I'm asking for advice :).

So if I were to pick this one (Sorry, Dutch site, couldn't find one with a decent price one on Amazon.de. Unfortunately all hardware seems to be more expensive in Europe)
ASUS ROG STRIX RX VEGA 64 Gaming OC Edition:
https://azerty.nl/product/asus/3291...-oc-edition-grafische-kaart-radeon-rx-vega-64

And this PSU:
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I should be good to go? Can't wait to start ordering my stuff :headbang:

Thanks for your reply once again. I really value your opinion and want the video card to run as smooth as possible, that's why I'm asking for advice :).

So if I were to pick this one (Sorry, Dutch site, couldn't find one with a decent price one on Amazon.de. Unfortunately all hardware seems to be more expensive in Europe)
ASUS ROG STRIX RX VEGA 64 Gaming OC Edition:
https://azerty.nl/product/asus/3291...-oc-edition-grafische-kaart-radeon-rx-vega-64

And this PSU:
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I should be good to go? Can't wait to start ordering my stuff :headbang:

I don't recall having read anything (whether good or bad) regarding that specific video card. Personally, (once again, this is just my own personal preference) I like sticking with video cards that use "reference" style coolers.

Currently, some Vega cards have an issue where their fans run at higher than normal speeds. There are fixes (kexts) available that don't work with Vega video cards that use proprietary coolers. Some Vega cards with proprietary coolers have fans that behave as they should while others require that a video be played before the fans ramp down. I, personally, use an MSI Vega 56 Air Boost with one of the kext fixes and it works great. Search around the site to see what experiences others have had with the Asus Vega 64.

The power supply should be fine.

I did some researching on the site and only found problems with the Vega 64 (fans always on and spinning), but read this was a Mac problem that will hopefully be fixed with updates. So, now I'm looking for the best possible card within my budget that works without problems with minimal tweaks/fixes :p.

It's also quite difficult to get my hands on some GPU's, most sites offer just a few different models, I think my best bet is Amazon.de. Or does anyone have a better site that ships to the Netherlands (with decent delivery times).

Newegg seems to be shipping some items to NL (7 to 15 working days, is doable), so I could get the following card:
https://www.newegg.com/global/nl/Pr...0696&cm_re=vega_64-_-9SIA0ZX7KC0696-_-Product
Then again, I haven't found any successful builds with the same exact card so far.

Last edited:
I did some researching on the site and only found problems with the Vega 64 (fans always on and spinning), but read this was a Mac problem that will hopefully be fixed with updates. So, now I'm looking for the best possible card within my budget that works without problems with minimal tweaks/fixes :p.

It's also quite difficult to get my hands on some GPU's, most sites offer just a few different models, I think my best bet is Amazon.de. Or does anyone have a better site that ships to the Netherlands (with decent delivery times).

Newegg seems to be shipping some items to NL (7 to 15 working days, is doable), so I could get the following card:
https://www.newegg.com/global/nl/Pr...0696&cm_re=vega_64-_-9SIA0ZX7KC0696-_-Product
Then again, I haven't found any successful builds with the same exact card so far.

If you get that card from Newegg, you can fix the fan issue with just one kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back