Contribute
Register

First time builder advice (4k Video Editing & Gaming Hackintosh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
-
CPU
-
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi all,

I've been super interested in hackintosh building for years now and am finally ready to dive in! As a first time builder I would so appreciate any advice regarding the selection of parts, the build and installation however my main concern is choosing the right build for the power I need.

I work as a professional video editor using Premier Pro, After Effects and Photoshop (very occasionally FCP) and recently a lot of 4K even up to 8K footage is coming through my workflow so I'm needing to upgrade asap.

My current system is an iMac 2010 with 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB graphics card and only 8GB memory. I'm absolutely squeezing the life out of this and I know that obviously any build I go for will be an insane improvement. However, I'm really hoping to future proof the build as much as possible and I'd love to use the hackintosh for gaming as well as I really miss desktop gaming.

I'm currently looking at the CustoMac Budget ATX or the CustoMac Pro but am I going for builds way too beefy for what I need? What else do I really need to consider when selecting a build??

Any advice is really appreciated!!

Thanks all!

If you are looking for more builds you can always look at the Golden Builds and User Builds, especially if you are a 1st time builder. Those forums are very detailed. The good things about building your own is that you can customize and determine what your needs are. There is nothing wrong with going beefy if your budget allows it. You can choose from an i5, i7, or i9. Go with 8, 16 or 32GBs of memory. You even have some flexibility with the GPU since a lot of AMD GPUs now offer native support with Mojave( not sure with version it started with) and Catalina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back