Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone. So this is my first time building a hackintosh or even a computer by myself. I'm trying to build a really powerful computer that can literally do everything and anything I wanted. If this was me 3 years ago, it would of been a PC but in early 2011 I switched to OS X and never looked back. I kind of have all my parts selected and picked out just wanted to see what you guys think and if they are compatible. Haven't bought any parts yet because this will be like a little personal side project I want to do and I plan on buying the parts little by little. Most likely my machine will be completed around summer time and I would like to run OS X 10.6.8. I don't know what it is, but I don't really like Lion. I might switch my mind by the time it's built. In other words, I like doing all my research before I invest money into anything especially technology because I want it to pay off I guess. But this is what I have chosen so far:

Case: The Define R4
Power: Corsair HX 850 80 Gold
Motherboard:
GA-X79-UD5
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k Hexa Core
GPU:
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 or 690...this is the only thing I'm not sure yet. It's 50/50
Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Monitor:
ASUS PB278Q 27-Inch
Mouse: Logitech Performance MX
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Illuminated

Yes, I know it'll round up to a good $3K :| but I plan on building and having this for over 4-5 years at least. Unless everything dies out on me. So what do you guys think? Good? Bad? Any suggestions? Complains?

Make sure you understand the limitations of LGA 2011 compared to the much better supported IvyBridge.

I'm not sure if the vNidia 6xx cards are supported in Snow Leopard. I'd make certain if I were you.

Personally, I really like Mountain Lion. I liked Lion 10.7.x, but it felt a little half-baked compared to SL. Now ML feels perfect to me for stability, usefulness, features, performance, etc. In fact, I'd say it's my favorite version of OSX ever- and I've been using OSX from the first beta.

No point in building a system like that for snow leopard, cpu power management, sleep and GPU won't work. Only reason to put snow leopard on is to allow you to download ML from the app store and then update.

You've picked parts that are good for Mountain Lion.

So if I want to keep the same hardware what I picked out I kind of would have to be forced to move to Lion then? But other than that, is the build good or bad or anything? Will it do me justice for the next 5 years or so to come?

not sure what you want to do with this system but I think it's safe to say that 64gb of ram is overkill for almost everybody, also if you just want a really powerfull computer but you're not exporting video and that sort of tasks. you will be fine with a i7-3770k. And if you need more juice than that, overclock it! water cooling is great. Just a little heads up if you really need a 6 core beast. Also i first wanted a i7 ended up with an i5 and never use more than 20% of my pc...

make sure to invest in a fast and big sad since it makes your system fly! regardless of the cpu/gpu it makes your system just overall faster.

succes with your build,

I plan on using it for everything. I work but on my spare times I like editing videos, pictures as a personal hobbies and everything I do it's in really big sizes. I'm talking about full HD and over 18 mega pixels. It will be my personal, work station, gaming station and everything in one. Also I plan on maybe adding dual displays in the future, haven't decided yet. But I do hear you on the 64gb of ram lol:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back