Contribute
Register

First Time Build (Mac for design student)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to build a Hackintosh for main usage at home. I used to have a windows tower, but then switched to a macbook pro (13“ Retina late 2013 / 8gb Ram / Iris graphics which I’m using with a 21” screen) for my Visual Communication studies.

I’ve been saving to be able to get a second screen (Eizo 23” for Print production) and building a Hackintosh "Workstation". (I know, a workstation is a bit more Powerfull then I’m going to get, so lets say I want a solid system with more serious capacity :D ) I’m working with Cinema 4d and After Effects and I’ll also look into Maya soon. (In my studies I focus a bit on Film making and Motion graphics) But I’m also using the whole Adobe Suite.

So I've read through the guides and have theses parts in mind:

• Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
  • Intel Core i5-4430
  • Gygabite GTX 660 2 GB
  • 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT DDR3-1600
  • Samsung MZ-7TE250KW 120 GB
  • 2 x WD Blue 1TB
  • Corsair CX600M
  • Tower: Corsair Carbide 200R
  • TP-Link TL-WDN3800 N600

Now I have some questions to the setup:
- Is there any part that doesnt fit (to my programs) or that has a better alternative?
- Is it worth to upgrade to the i5 4670K?
- Is the Power Supply enough?
- Is the 120 SSD for System & Programs enough?
- Are 8 GB of ram enough for the beginning, or would it slow the rest of the system down? (On my macbook combined with the ssd it works quite well as far as I can say :D)
- Is the wifi card enough or should I take the 450 MBps? I have (supposedly) 50.000 kBit/s at home.
- and finally: will there be any restraints in mavericks? eg. some functions not working?

Thank you so much in advance! And sorry for this long text :angel:
vinnni

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to build a Hackintosh for main usage at home. I used to have a windows tower, but then switched to a macbook pro (13“ Retina late 2013 / 8gb Ram / Iris graphics which I’m using with a 21” screen) for my Visual Communication studies.

So I've read through the guides and have theses parts in mind:

• Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
  • Intel Core i5-4430
  • Gygabite GTX 660 2 GB
  • 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT DDR3-1600
  • Samsung MZ-7TE250KW 120 GB
  • 2 x WD Blue 1TB
  • Corsair CX600M
  • Tower: Corsair Carbide 200R
  • TP-Link TL-WDN3800 N600
Now I have some questions to the setup:
- Is there any part that doesnt fit (to my programs) or that has a better alternative?
For wifi, you'll need to get the TP-Link WDN4800 model. Don't think your choice will work.

- Is it worth to upgrade to the i5 4670K?
Yes, but only if you'll over clock it to get better performance. Try to watch for it to go on sale for around $200

- Is the Power Supply enough?
Yes that's fine

- Is the 120 SSD for System & Programs enough?
Maybe to begin with but I would go with at least 240 GB for what you'll be doing. Prices have come down quite a lot and a 240GB drive even by Intel is affordable.

- Are 8 GB of ram enough for the beginning, or would it slow the rest of the system down? (On my macbook combined with the ssd it works quite well as far as I can say :D)
Since Mavericks handles memory better I think you can get by with 8

- and finally: will there be any restraints in mavericks? eg. some functions not working?
Everything will work especially after they fix a few bugs in the next two updates.

Thank you so much in advance! And sorry for this long text :angel:
vinnni
Welcome to the community :!:

Thank you so much!

one last question :)
should I also get a CPU cooler?

Thanks
Vinnni

Thank you so much!

one last question :)
should I also get a CPU cooler?

Thanks
Vinnni

Only if you get the 4670 K and over clock/game with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back