Intel i7
Graphics
nvidia
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm a first time builder looking to upgrade from our aging imac with a core i3 to a hackintosh for both video editing and gaming (for my son ;).

Here is my current parts list:

CPU - i7-6700K
CPU cooling - corsair h60 hydro
Motherboard - Gigabyte z170MX gaming 5 (case can handle full size atx, but hear that gaming 5 has better audio quality than the Gigabyte UD3 boards...thoughts?)
Graphic - Nvidia GTX 780 (I had this lying around, so will use for now...may upgrade in future if it becomes an issue.)
Memory - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB
Drive 1 - Samsung 850 evo 1 TB
Drive 2 - Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Power - Corsair RM650x
Case - Corsair 100R
wifi/bluetooth -
Fenvi 802.11AC Desktop Wifi Card 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC Bluetooth 4.0 OS X Yosemite 10.10+ PC/Hackintosh - Handoff and Continuity
...http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadc...th-4-0-with-adapter-for-pc-hackintosh...based on this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ds-pcie-and-mini-pcie-adapters.147734/page-60

Monitor - Dell 27" HD from costco

OS - going to try 10.12 Sierra...but open to suggestions.

any feedback?

K would suggest something way stronger than a 780 for video editing. I personally just built one for a friend with a 980ti. He uses a 5k resolution RED Scarlet and he says it TEARS through his footage which was great for me to hear. Of course this card will be about $600 but honestly, why not future proof if you're going to edit 4k? What mb is your 4k recording on? It's immensely different from 50mb/s record to 100mb/s record. Get a 900 series and call it a day....don't waste your time with the 780 or you'll be regretting it.

Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on the Gigabyte z170MX gaming 5 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back