Contribute
Register

First time build advice (4k Video Editing/ Colour Grading)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
First off I'm sorry as I'm sure this question gets asked all the time, but I would really appreciate the advice.

I'm working on building my first Hackintosh with the aim of having a really solid video editing and colour grading setup which can easily handle 4k footage. The software I use is Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects and DaVinci Resolve. My budget is about £2000.

I've gone through the June Buyer's Guide basing my selection heavily on the CustoMac Pro to find a selection of components. The two that I'm particularly unsure about are Motherboard and the GPU as there are simply so many options out there.

I'm wondering if any one can see any issues with the following:

> MOBO - ASUS Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Maximus X Hero D4 ATX
> CPU - Intel BX80684I78700K 8th Gen Core i7-8700K Processor
> RAM - Ballistix Sport LT BLS2C16G4D240FSE 32 GB Kit (16 GB x 2)
> CPU Cooler - Corsair CW-9060007WW Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooler
> WIFI Adapter - TP-Link Archer T9E AC1900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
> GPU - Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1080 GDDR5 8GB OC WF3 PCI-E
> Case - Corsair CC-9011052-WW Carbide Series SPEC-03 Mid-Tower ATX
> PSU - Corsair SF Series SF600 SFX 600W

Alternatively if anyone has components that they think would be better/ I could get away with a cheaper option, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance, I really do appreciate the help!

I would go for a bigger cooler on this setup with the 8700k especially if you want to overclock later.

check the Noctua NH-D15 or the beQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 if you want air coolers or go for the Corsair H115i (or H150 Pro if you case allows it) or the NZXT Kraken X62 for water cooling.

Last edited:
There's no reason to use an SFX power supply in a mid-tower ATX case. Get one of the Corsair RM series 650W PSUs. The price should be about the same. Fit will be perfect in your Spec-03 case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H6111J/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Looks like it sells for less than the 600W SF version on Amazon.

Thanks for the advice. The link you sent wasn't available in the UK, but this one is the same/ similar right -https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015PWMT8S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2LNOP4UQZJ1&psc=1

Out of interest, what's the difference between the two?

There's no reason to use an SFX power supply in a mid-tower ATX case. Get one of the Corsair RM series 650W PSUs. The price should be about the same. Fit will be perfect in your Spec-03 case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H6111J/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Looks like it sells for less than the 600W SF version on Amazon.

Thanks, I'll definitely go for a double fan setup then. Will just need to work out which case to fit it in as I don't think it'll work in the one I picked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back