Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth X79
CPU
Intel i7-4930k 3.4Ghz
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 1080 EVGA Superclocked 8Gb
I'll apologize off the start that I am extremely new to the Hackintosh community. I recently picked up iOS development, and would like to continue pursuing it. However, I really do not want to pay Apple's premium prices for their mediocre hardware. So, I have ordered an additional HDD to put my Hackintosh onto.

Current setup:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (last updated 2013, lastest update available 2014)
Processor: Intel I7-4930k 3.4Ghz
Graphics: GTX 1080 EVGA Superclocked 8Gb
Storage:
(1) 250Gb Samsung EVO 850 SSD - For Windows OS and main games I play
(2) 2Tb Seagate FireCuda SSHD - For large storage on Windows
(3) 1Tb Western Digital HDD - Will be used for the MAC side if things

So, I will have separate storage between the two OS's, which from the research I've gathered is the best possible way to do this. My main concern is how I can go about doing this. I am thinking my motherboard might be slightly out of date, and maybe I need to use the El Capitan OSX instead of Sierra (considering the last update for my MB was 2014). I haven't been able to find really any information how dual booting for my MB, and was wondering if just following the current guides for Sierra/El Capitan will be sufficient for my system.

Before I take my step into the unforgettable waters of converting my PC into a Hackintosh, with the dual boot of Windows 10 Pro, are there any suggestions or notes I should remember when doing this? Or the exact tutorial I should follow that may not be the go-to one under Installation Guide?

Thank you!

Before I take my step into the unforgettable waters of converting my PC into a Hackintosh, with the dual boot of Windows 10 Pro, are there any suggestions or notes I should remember when doing this? Or the exact tutorial I should follow that may not be the go-to one under Installation Guide?

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

Thank you, BreBo. I've read through that and it seems to be pretty much what I am looking for.

I do have a couple questions. Currently my Motherboard is installed via Legacy mode. Will that be an issue, or is it really just a simple switch to UEFI?

Next, a lot of people say Clover is better than using Unibeast. Do you suggest using Clover as well?

Currently my Motherboard is installed via Legacy mode. Will that be an issue, or is it really just a simple switch to UEFI?

Next, a lot of people say Clover is better than using Unibeast. Do you suggest using Clover as well?

UEFI Boot Mode is recommended for 7/8/9+ Series CustoMac desktops and all UEFI capable systems. Legacy Boot Mode is recommended for 5/6 Series CustoMac desktops and all BIOS based systems.

As of OS X El Capitan Clover is recommended as your default bootloader.

UEFI Boot Mode is recommended for 7/8/9+ Series CustoMac desktops and all UEFI capable systems. Legacy Boot Mode is recommended for 5/6 Series CustoMac desktops and all BIOS based systems.

As of OS X El Capitan Clover is recommended as your default bootloader.
Alright, so, I figured I would have to go with El Capitan for my OS instead of Sierra. Which is what I believe you just told me I have to go with. I am currently downloading a version of El Capitan from Apple.com at this link: https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos The exact one that I downloaded was OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 Update.

Hopefully this one will be compatible with the bootloader that I will be using.

Alright, so, I figured I would have to go with El Capitan for my OS instead of Sierra. Which is what I believe you just told me I have to go with. Hopefully this one will be compatible with the bootloader that I will be using.

No, I tried to tell you that if you want to install El Capitan or Sierra you have to use Clover as your bootloader.

The insurmountable problem you have is the 1080 Nvidia GPU.
Nvidia does not supply drivers for Pascal and the basic Apple drivers are not like Windows VGA drivers. You need a compatible Nvidia or AMD card. The lack of Pascal drivers has kept me from upgrading my Nivida GPU to a 1080 because I prefer to dual boot more than I want to drive my 4k monitor for gaming.
Forget any other version of OS X other than Sierra--if you had read enough about it you would understand why.
With your hardware, apart from the GPU, installation of Sierra should be straight forward but getting other mobs features to work (e.g. audio, network) requires reading and understanding the processes involved, often with much trial and error.
As you realize use a separate drive for OS X. Unplug the Windows drive when installing OX--that way you take no chances doing anything irreversible. Also be sure how to change and restore mobs settings, particularly those relating to boot drive selection. If you give up on OS X you have lost nothing but your time.
It is not clear if you understand that Clover is a boot loader required to boot OS X and supply some of the software that sits between the x86 BIOS/UEFI and OS X. Think of OS X as an x86 compatible UNIX clone that runs on a proprietary BIOS and that the astounding tools on this site translate the proprietary BIOS to generic x86 BIOS.
If your Windows OS boots via UEFI and you install OS X properly then if you select the OS X drive as your first boot drive Clover should recognize the Windows installation and you can choose to boot from it. Clover polls and lists all the drives attached to your computer when you boot with it.
When you get to a stable fully functional installation, it is not rocket science or brain surgery but does require actually reading, learning and experimenting, then Clover makes installing OS X updates in my experience far more reliable and easy than alternate boot loaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back