Graphics
nvidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Tonight I tried to modify the base clock of the i5 and run geekbench in 32bit, here are the first results:

original 2.66Ghz - GB score: 6406 average temperature around 39°
2.90Ghz - GB score: 6980 average temperature around 42°
3.00Ghz - GB score: 7172 average temperature around 55°
3.20Ghz - "you got to turn off your computer" message (?)

While at 2.90Ghz I tried to launch 2 movies, Logic pro playing a song (full of virtual instruments), guitar rig 3 open, Vmware Fusion, itunes playing a song, geekbench running a test, all at the same time and got a temperature maximum of 60°...is that too hot?

Let me know your impressions...

60 is the lower limit where the temperature warning kicks in in the bios. I would consider it too hot.

I've noticed the quad core i7 chip I use runs fairly cool until I start doing things. Some programs will kick one core up quite a bit seemingly at random. Text wrangler was creating spikes on core 2 and 4 for some reason as an example.

I want to find a more accurate temp monitor app than iStat though. I get constant "spike" readings without any activity going on to explain it, an issue that makes me wonder just how accurate iStat really is on a hack.

Cooling is critical for an overclocked system. Think about all the other components you have that are cooking w/ no way for you to monitor them. I'd try to add enough extra cooling to maintain the CPU below 50 at a minimum and make sure there is extra cooling for the mobo capacitors and chipset. Otherwise it's just not worth it for purposes. My system runs more than fast enough in factory configuration.

tonymacx86 said:
ne0shell said:
I want to find a more accurate temp monitor app than iStat though.

Did you try Temperature Monitor? http://www.bresink.com/osx/0Temperature ... nload.html

Pretty good one. It shows all cores and other stuff- better in general than iStat for strictly temperature readouts. Free. :mrgreen:

Installed it earlier - UI isn't as nice as iStat but it seems to be more accurate. iStat was showing sudden jumps from 109 to 133 for no apparent reason - temp mon isn't.

I'll try temperature monitor later...iStat is not accurate at all, it acts in a strange way: when i launch it It says for example 50°, then, after a few seconds it says 43°...
When the CPU was OC'd at 3Ghz and it said 60° i rebooted and entered the bios and read temps about 47°...I also don't see the 4 cores in iStat (does someone know why?)

I also have a Cooler Master 101 (13€) and it works well, I get around 8-10° cooler than the stock intel cooler...
550_1000_hyper%20101.jpg

Ok, downloaded Temperature monitor, overclocked to 3.10Ghz, run the "stress test" with just everything playing (2 movies, logic....) and got no more than 48° while iStat is showing 56°...I guess Temperature Monitor is more accurate...

To get temp readings for all four cores you will have to update your fakesmc.kext to version 2.5. That should give you all of them.

g2h0 said:
To get temp readings for all four cores you will have to update your fakesmc.kext to version 2.5. That should give you all of them.
how does one accomplish this? :banghead: been stuck on this for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back