Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Starting my Mac mini build and I wanted to base it off of the recommended Mac mini build. I also wanted to know the difference between the i3 dual core and th i5 dual core in the real Mac mini. Also since I may want to do some gaming I thought about using this as my build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
RAM: CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 
Case + Power Supply Unit: silverstone sg05bb 450watt
Graphics card:cheap hd6850 (whatever one you guys recommend)

I have a slim drive and hdd that I can use already.

Also I want this to be very reliable.
What you guys think?

The hd3000 graphics don't seem to be that great on gaming though?

want games go for hack pro not mini , i have xfx hd 6850 znfc works great on lion and win7 :thumbup:

Yea I just wanted to build it in the small for factor because I am a college student and it will be getting moved in and out alot. But yea I basically wanted to know what you guys think about that kind of build? And recommendations ?

Re: First Mac mini build (Micro)

tomcat7810 said:
Yea I just wanted to build it in the small for factor because I am a college student and it will be getting moved in and out alot. But yea I basically wanted to know what you guys think about that kind of build? And recommendations ?

I built a bigger Mini, used the Micro ATX board - GB H55 -USB and a Micro case. I used the Silver Stone case and 450 WATT power supple. I bought the extra cross over fan for the case as well. The Micro ATX board and 2 PCIe and 2 PCI slots and will fit 4 RAM sticks versus two on the mini. With a 120 SSD and a 1TB SATA it was about 900 most of the parts from Amazon or New Egg. I had a spare DVD writer around and went with 2gig x 4 ram for a start. I will upgrade the video card to something better soon. Still have a free 3.5 internal and a 5.25 in the front. I just double sided foam taped the SSD to the inside of the case.

The GB H55 USB3 has a F11 ROM in it, the F7 from the Mini board seemed to have worked.

Not as small as the mini but better cooling features and you can run a vid card that requires extra power if needed.

I mean I have seen a lot of nice gaming computers built in the silverstone sg05 because it has the 450watt power supply and it can fit the dual slot card? thats what I liked about that case it keeps it small but allows for some graphics. So I know it can all fit in there but I just don't really know how reliable that setup would be mainly concerning lion running on it?

So what you guys think? I'm pretty stuck on the mini itx build so any recommendations would be great?

You can always stick with your original components. 6850 is a dual slot card..so if your mini ITX case has room then you re fine.
make sure the PCI-Express power source is available from your PSU. 1 connector or 2 connector depends on your VGA card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back