Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So I had been under the impression that going with any board other than gigabyte wasn't really worth the hassle. I believe this is/was due to compatibility of the bios/UEFIBios. I heard mentioned recently that ASUS boards are now pretty much just as easy.

I just helped a friend with a build taken pretty much directly from the cutomac pro buyer's guide for march '14. We still have some issues but I'm working on them (iGFX HDMI does a weird snow in the middle of boot, and 5GHz on the TP-Link card isn't working OOB). This does seem to be working well though.

I am wondering though if there is anything in particular about newer ASUS boards that I should know about that might sway me in that direction? I think I read in Toleda's mini-pcie wifi guide that some ASUS boards had wifi+bluetooth 4.0 working OOB but I could have misread.

I was hoping for a 10-12 core solution with thunderbolt 2 but I can see that that isn't likely to happen in the timeframe that I want to build my machine. So I'm likely going to go the 4770k route. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

After reading a lot of forums, I came to the same impression than you. Gigabyte MB rules cause they do not require any DSDT.

Although, there are some Asus MB that comes with a bunch of features like dual TB2 port, NFC reader and more. But I've hardly found any success story with these rigs.

Wish you the best for your project.

Jim

From what has been seen so far with the 87 ASUS boards, Asus has unlocked the MSR in their BIOS so that we no longer get the AICPUPM kext powermanagement KP unless the BIOS is patched or you use NullCPU. The downside to this is Asus has gone totally to UEFI boot. In order to get OS X to boot you have to take an extra step and move the /Extra folder and the boot file to the EFI partition created when you formatted the drive in Disk Utility. Or you can use Clover.

Other than that, the Asus boards work just as well as the Gigabyte ones do.
MSI & ASRock still need the BIOS patched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back