Motherboard
Asus Maximus II Formula
CPU
Q9650
Graphics
GTS250
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I was reading some threads and I would like to install a Mac OS in my PC.

MY PC:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus II Formula P45
CPU: Intel Q9650 (LGA775)
Ram: 2x2Gb G.Skill Trident 1200MHz
GPU: NVidia GTS 250 1Gb
HD: SSD 120Gb Corsair

- I am also building an iMac 5K monitor and I need to buy a new GPU which supports the 5K resolution.

Can someone tell me which OS can I install on it, is it possible to install the last one?
Can someone suggest a new GPU?

I will use this PC just for some video editing, mostly using Adobe Premiere or FCP+ though I've used only Premiere Pro untill now.
The CPU is right now working at 4GHz thanks to the Noctua NH-D14 heatsink, there is also a Thermalright HR-05 on the northbridge heatsink.

I was thinking to buy a NVidia GTX1060 (saving money), or a new AMD GPU card (5700xt?) which I could move to a new PC that I would like to build in the next months.

I would do two partitions one for Mac OS and one for Windows 10.

Last edited:
I was thinking to buy a NVidia GTX1060 (saving money), or a new AMD GPU card (5700xt?) which I could move to a new PC that I would like to build in the next months.
If you choose the 1060 that limits you to High Sierra. There are Web drivers that do work. With the 5700XT you are limited to Catalina which has native drivers for it. That being said I have no idea how your older Socket 775 system and Core 2 Quad will work with Catalina. That's expecting a lot out of a system over 10 years of age.

hi i have a g41mt-s2p cpu q9650 and asus gtx680 wifi bcm94331 with mojave all works

hi i have a g41mt-s2p cpu q9650 and asus gtx680 wifi bcm94331 with mojave all works

Thanks for the info.

I am thinking to buy a 5500XT or a 5600XT.
Can I install Catalina on my PC with one of these AMD cards?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I am thinking to buy a 5500XT or a 5600XT.
Can I install Catalina on my PC with one of these AMD cards?

Your CPU (Q9650) lacks the SSE4.2 instructions which are required by the AMD graphics drivers in Mojave and Catalina. You may not be able to get an AMD GPU to work correctly under Mojave and Catalina on your system even though it may be natively supported.

I strongly suggest moving to a newer system if you want to run Catalina with a 5500 XT or 5600 XT.

An older, still supported, Nvidia GPU like a GTX 760 should enable you to run Mojave and Catalina on your system, though.

Or you could try MouSSE.

Your CPU (Q9650) lacks the SSE4.2 instructions which are required by the AMD graphics drivers in Mojave and Catalina. You may not be able to get an AMD GPU to work correctly under Mojave and Catalina on your system even though it may be natively supported.

I strongly suggest moving to a newer system if you want to run Catalina with a 5500 XT or 5600 XT.

An older, still supported, Nvidia GPU like a GTX 760 should enable you to run Mojave and Catalina on your system, though.

Thanks for the answer! Ok, I guess it would be easier to install High Sierra or Mojave on my PC just buying an used GPU that allow me to use the 5K on the new monitor and then buy a new PC with fresh components for a hackintosh with Catalina.
The last OS I could install is Mojave, so which GPU could I buy at least with 2 Display Port for my 5K monitor?
I won't play any game, just a little bit of soft editing video with Premiere Pro and FCPx.

I am trying to install High Sierra OS, the installation starts but I get some error from the HD SSD during the installation, when the interface appears, I can see the SSD HD but when I try to initialize it, the process fails and I am not able to install High Sierra.
I have only that HD, so I can't try with another one.
Does someone know what is the problem? Maybe .kext?
I even tried formatting the HD with GParted in HFS+ but it doesn't change.

I attached the screenshots and the Clover partition.
Hope someone can help.

Attachments

• 88881.jpg
    88881.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 116
  • 8888.jpg
    8888.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 120
  • 123456.jpg
    123456.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 107
  • CLOVER.rar
    5.3 MB · Views: 85
Hi philippe my motherboard is GA-G41MT-S2P Xeon X5450 771 mode, Nvidia EVGA GT-710 2gb GPU, could you send me
your EFI folder and BootFlags, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back