Contribute
Register

First Hacktinosh for music production, what to go for? (see my list of parts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey there! I just sold my Macbook Pro 15" and I'm interested in building my own Hackintosh instead.

I'm abit curious about my GFX card and the motherboard I'm interested in buying - aswell as the CPU, if I should should a 6 core CPU or a Haswell (I know that haswell isn't supported ATM by OSX, but hopefully there will be in Mavericks).

So..

Here are the components I'm about to buy:

Motherboard: Asus P9X79

HDD #1: 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA 6Gbit/s

HDD #2: Samsung SSD Pro Basic 840-Series 256GB

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz or Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 GHz (Haswell)

Cooler: Scythe Ninja III Rev.B

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 Windforce

Chassi: Fractal Design Define R4 Svart

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power L8 530W 80+ Bronze Modular

RAM Memory: Corsair 16GB (2x8192MB) CL11 1600Mhz XMS3

Heres the full list of the 2 setups I'm thinking of:

http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/3542737/2013-07-02

or

http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/3542850/2013-07-02

So my question is simply. Is this a good package? its ONLY for music production.. and most importantly: Does it work with OSX? I'm unsure about the graphics card and the motherboard. Is it recommended to go with a Asus SABERTOOTH X79 TU motherboard instead? ( http://www.inet.se/produkt/1902170/a...rtooth-x79-tuf )

Answers are highly appreciated! MAny thanks! =) Best, J

I've been looking at this amazing guy building this awsome Hackintosh on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9CNs...GjAD_f&index=2

I know that the graphics card is abit overkill, but the gfx card is pretty cheap here in Sweden , and therefore I'm wondering if it's working with OSX in overall.

Otherwise, I think I have most of the information I could get about this matter, since I've been asking on other forums too.

I'm kind of wondering about wether to go with the Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz
or Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 GHz (Haswell)

Any reason why you're not sticking closer to Tonyacx86 Buyer's Guide recommended components? I think you would have better success with your build if you did.

You are all over the map with a complete mismatch of CPU & motherboard if you buy that 4770K processor (socket 1150) and that X79 ASUS mobo (socket 2011). You should probably be focusing on a quad core Ivy Bridge build if this is your first Hack. We're nowhere NEAR ready to begin full-blown productions using Haswell (4770k) for Hackintosh...

my $0.02 worth...

--the guy with the music studio golden build :mrgreen:

Any reason why you're not sticking closer to Tonyacx86 Buyer's Guide recommended components? I think you would have better success with your build if you did.

You are all over the map with a complete mismatch of CPU & motherboard if you buy that 4770K processor (socket 1150) and that X79 ASUS mobo (socket 2011). You should probably be focusing on a quad core Ivy Bridge build if this is your first Hack. We're nowhere NEAR ready to begin full-blown productions using Haswell (4770k) for Hackintosh...

my $0.02 worth...

--the guy with the music studio golden build :mrgreen:

He was going to use the Asus only if he got the 3930K which would be perfectly fine.

He was going to use the Asus only if he got the 3930K which would be perfectly fine.

Well, hard to know that, since in the original post & subsequent messages, there was no mention of a brand/model of Socket 1150 boards that he was looking into to go along with the Haswell CPU. So I could only assume that he was a bit confused....

There are "mixed reviews" on how easy/difficult it is for socket 2011 boards. And either way, I seem to recall that speedstep and sleep currently still do not function on 2011 builds. So again, if this is a first-time build, Ivy Bridge & using Buyer's Guide components (if possible) yields the highest chances for success IMHO.

A little late reply here.. but I finally bought (what I think was the best setup for me), and I pray to the gods that it's working with OSX now. Here are the parts I bought:

Moderboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X79 TUF
HDD #1: Samsung SSD Pro Basic 840-Series 256GB
HDD #2: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3TB 7200RPM SATA/600 64MB
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz
Processorcooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 +
Noctua NM-I2011 Mounting-kit
Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2048MB
RAM memory: CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-15000 1866MHZ CL10 (2X8GB)
---
Fan: Noctua NF-P12 1300
Powersupply: Fractal Design Newton R2, 1000W 80+ Modular
Other: ESD-wristband
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Svart

Shouldn't be any problem with these parts, right? before I pack them up I mean..

Also I'm wondering what settings in Unibeast that is perfect for me using these parts, so if some really kind person out there would like to help me with setting it up tomorrow or the day after when I have built the computer, I'd highly appreciate it!

Thanks.

I noticed a guide here on tonymacx86, with almost the same setup as I bought:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-3930k-gtx670-sabertooth-x79-56k-warn-21.html

except for the graphics card which is a 670, and I bought a 660, since I'll use it for audio production, not video production.. and I didn't think it was worth the money for such graphics card.

So what do you say? any differences between my build and his? I mean, it SHOULD work perfectly fine, right?

I'm thinking about the kext and the multibeast settings which he has setup (there's a screenshot in the thread showing exactly what he has).

Also I read that ALOT of people are having problems with the x79 motherboard with the sound.. which leaves me to think it definately will happen me (yes, I always expect the worst hehe)

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-3-audio-problems-several-us-need-help-2.html

But seems to be a solution in this thread, not sure if it's enough though or if this sound issue is still buzzing around..

Another thing that I really wonder about, is the boot flag that needs to be enabled to ensure that my system is using all 6 cores of my i7 3930k processor. I asked a friend and he said that he read somewhere about a specific flag needing to be enabled for this. Anyone got ANY info on this matter what so ever? Would be so highly appreciated about that!

Thanks you for this great site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back