Contribute
Register

First Hackintosh(similar to Golden Build) for Audio Production (Help needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I have 2 MBP's, one for personal use and the other dedicated to music (Ableton and Serato). The audio production MBP is an i7 from 2011, and even though I've upgraded to 16GB of ram and added a 500GB Evo 850 for the OS and 1TB 7200RPM drive (where the dvd slot used to be) for audio files, the processor is just too old to run a lot of the newer plugins. In terms of inputs/outputs, I use the firewire port for my Motu soundcard and Thunderbolt port to connect to a 1080p Samsung LED TV(via a cheap thunderbolt to HDMI cable). Other than that any other hardware is connected via usb.

I had a look at a few of the great builds on this forum and I think that this Golden Build
( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7-8700k-rx-580-2x-dell-p2715q-4k-60hz.252989/ ) may suit my needs, but perhaps has some things that could be downgraded to better suit my needs. I don't do any video editing nor have a 4K display, so those may be components that could cut the costs a bit.

So my main question is; without compromising processing power and performance related to audio production, what would be a good lower-cost alternative of the aforementioned Golden Build?

Many thanks in advance :)

You could select the i5 version of this https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/july/2018/#CustoMac_mATX build and save a significant amount of money. If 16GB of ram is enough that will also reduce the price substantially. Note that the motherboard choices in the mATX build do not have Thunderbolt headers onboard if you need that.

The 8600K has 6 cores just like the 8700K you just don't get the extra 6 threads. It will still be a major upgrade to what you have now.
Screen Shot 19.jpg

Thanks so much for the reply Trs96, I think I could definitely go for the i5 instead. Regarding Thunderbold, does it have HDMI and would that work for the screen?

Thanks so much for the reply Trs96, I think I could definitely go for the i5 instead. Regarding Thunderbold, does it have HDMI and would that work for the screen?
They all have onboard HDMI output which you can use. The H370m-DS3H has Displayport which you could connect to a 4K monitor to get 60 Hz refresh rate with onboard graphics. That saves you well over 200 USD on a graphics card.

They don't have the H370m-DS3H at the store which I am getting the other components from. This doesn't mean that I can't buy it elsewhere, but are there other Gigabyte models that offer the same feature in this price range?

They don't have the H370m-DS3H at the store which I am getting the other components from. This doesn't mean that I can't buy it elsewhere, but are there other Gigabyte models that offer the same feature in this price range?
Refer to the list of Motherboards in the Buyer's Guide and pick one from that. May be best to go with Z version if you will use a K CPU.

Looks like the AX370-Gaming K5 should do the trick.
No way that would work. It's an AMD socket. Choose only from the Buyer's Guide.

Screen Shot 20.jpg

haha yeh my bad, i linked the wrong one. I thought I linked this one...

Z370 AORUS-Gaming 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back