i7-4770K
Graphics
Intel HD4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone,

It's been a week of reading and researching and I'm about to jump. Just looking for some last advice here.

I currently have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro (i5 2,4Ghz (dual core), 8GB RAM, Intel HD & GT 330m, 180GB SSD + 1TB HDD).
I only use Lightroom. I will add Photo Mechanic to my workflow to speed up editing process. I currently do not use Photoshop very often.
What I don't like about my current setup : Only usb2 (slow), only 2 usb (not convenient at all), sometimes very slow, exporting images (in Lightroom) takes too much time, overall slowness.

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
CPU : Intel Core i7-4770
RAM : Crucial BLS2C8G3N18AES4CEU Ballistix Sport Mémoire RAM DDR3 SODIMM 1866 MHz 16 GB Kit (8 GB x2)
SSD : Samsung 840 EVO BASIC 2,5" 250 GB
HDD : 2TB Seagate (already have)
Case : Corsaire Carbide 500R
PSU : Corsair RM650 - 80 PLUS Gold ATX 650W Modulaire
Optical drive : Asus DRW-24F1ST
Screen : Dell U2410 1920x1200 HDMI (already have)

I will also have two (one on the desk, one in another location) WD Green 3TB for Time Machine (usb3), and a 250GB 2,5" (usb3) to clone my SSD (I like to have both).

I have some questions/remarks :
Is the PSU ok ? (enough power) I would like to be able to add one or to more hdd, a graphic card (futureproof without being overkill). Edit : Tried this (http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine), apparently should be ok.
Apparently the Ballistix Sport comes in 1866mhz or 1600mhz : What's the difference ? What would you recommend ?
Do i need to change the cpu cooler ? I looked into the Noctua NH-U12S, seems great (overkill ?). Please note that i "appreciate" silence / relative quietness.
Lightroom don't use the graphic card and I don't do (yet?) a lot of Photoshop, that's why I didn't choose a graphic card. Am i wrong ?
Can i use any optical burner drive ? (like the cheap one i chose)
No problem to use my i1 display pro ?
Do not need wi-fi, will connect using ethernet. Edit : If needed, i'll take the one in the Buyer's Guide

Thanks a lot for your feedback and advice and for all I have already read here.

I have some questions/remarks :
Is the PSU ok ? (enough power) I would like to be able to add one or to more hdd, a graphic card (futureproof without being overkill). Edit : Tried this (http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine), apparently should be ok.
Apparently the Ballistix Sport comes in 1866mhz or 1600mhz : What's the difference ? What would you recommend ?
Do i need to change the cpu cooler ? I looked into the Noctua NH-U12S, seems great (overkill ?). Please note that i "appreciate" silence / relative quietness.
Lightroom don't use the graphic card and I don't do (yet?) a lot of Photoshop, that's why I didn't choose a graphic card. Am i wrong ?
Can i use any optical burner drive ? (like the cheap one i chose)
No problem to use my i1 display pro ?
Do not need wi-fi, will connect using ethernet. Edit : If needed, i'll take the one in the Buyer's Guide

Thanks a lot for your feedback and advice and for all I have already read here.

PSU is OK unless you get a high end gfx card later that requires more power.

You can use the 1866mhz ram, but it will run at 1600 unless you OC since that is what the board supports - also look at the CPU specs for the memory bus - 1333/1600 per ark.intel, so your 1866 will run at 1600

The stock cooler is OK as long as you don't OC. It will be noisy at startup but it quiets down quickly.

You can use the CPU gfx at first and get a gfx card later if it turn out CPU gfx is inadequate.

I have had 3 Asus drives and all of them had the "seek problem" and sleep wouldn't work. 2 of them also made a screeching noise when they spun up. a Sony Optiarc - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118073&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=4902415&SID=
or a Pioneer DVR-218 - http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DVR-218L-DVD%C2%B1RW-Drive-LabelFlash/dp/B002GQ1NPW/ will either one work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back