Contribute
Register

First Hackintosh, need advice for a MacBook Pro user.

Which CPU/Mobo/GPU combo should I go for ? I will have ML installed directly onto it

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a system similar in specs to your list. By far, the greatest investment in computing I've ever made. I love this machine. I use it for Final Cut 7, Photoshop CS5 and similar as your needs.

I'd second the advice just go for the i7 2600K. I feel it gives the best measure of future-proofing if staying with SandyBridge.

As for graphics, I'm very happy with my Radeon 6870 (by the way, the 'brand' rarely matters much for graphic cards, so a Gigabyte-branded card doesn't make any difference. In fact, the only time I ever used a Gigabyte brand card on a system for a friend the stupid thing burned itself out in a month because it had a crappy heatsink/fan. IMHO, brands known for GPUs -eVGA, XFX, etc- are your best bets. )

Anyway, if I were picking parts now, I'd probably go with an nVidia card over the 6870, for two reasons- 1: setting up dual monitors on my 6870 was a bit of a PITA. It requires a custom boot flag in my Boot.plist file. Adding the boot flag was no big deal- but the process of finding exactly the right flag for my exact card was where the PITA part came in. I also notice one graphic glitch- whenever I move a file from one drive to another if I hover over the destination with it for a second or two I'll see the screen fill with artifacts. Other than that, no problems at all. As far as I know, compatible nVidia cards don't require any futzing to make multiple monitors work. And 2: the nVidia cards are CUDA enabled for Adobe apps and I don't get that advantage with my Radeon card.

My only other advice:

AVOID LIKE THE PLAUGE the OCZ Agility 3 SSD! No matter how 'good' the price seems to be. Read user reviews of them. I'm on my 2nd RMA with the 120GB OCZ Agility 3, and had the exact same problem with both of them. The drive reads on my system fine at first, installs fine, works great. Then randomly I'd boot and the drive is no where to be found- the system simply can't see it. Sometimes a reboot or two or ten (or removing from power for a few minutes or more) would make the drive show again and I'd be on my way with no problem. But eventually, both of them just simply stopped showing up altogether, and nothing would bring them back. So basically, not only would I never trust these POS drives to boot an OS I'm depending on using, I wouldn't begin to trust my valuable data on one. Do yourself a huge favor and don't play Russian roulette with your drives. I'd recommend purchasing any other SSD brand over OCZ at this point, or at the very least with OCZ stay away from the Agility 3 series.

Thank you all very much for giving me such great advice and for helping me out so far. Two questions stick out though coming from a Hack Pro noob : Are AMD or nVidia as easy as each other to install, as in OOB setup ? Also are Z77 mobos that much easier to work with than z68 ? BTW, I'd love to use an H100 with the 600T but my budget won't stretch that far so is the H60 a decent lower-priced subsitute ?

AVOID LIKE THE PLAUGE the OCZ Agility 3 SSD! No matter how 'good' the price seems to be. Read user reviews of them. I'm on my 2nd RMA with the 120GB OCZ Agility 3, and had the exact same problem with both of them. The drive reads on my system fine at first, installs fine, works great. Then randomly I'd boot and the drive is no where to be found- the system simply can't see it. Sometimes a reboot or two or ten (or removing from power for a few minutes or more) would make the drive show again and I'd be on my way with no problem. But eventually, both of them just simply stopped showing up altogether, and nothing would bring them back. So basically, not only would I never trust these POS drives to boot an OS I'm depending on using, I wouldn't begin to trust my valuable data on one. Do yourself a huge favor and don't play Russian roulette with your drives. I'd recommend purchasing any other SSD brand over OCZ at this point, or at the very least with OCZ stay away from the Agility 3 series.

Ok, i get the picture : avoid OCZ. So would the Intel 520 Series SSD be any better and worth the extra dough ?

To the Original Poster (OP), I have installed 8800GT, 9800GT, GTX285, GTX470, and a HD5770 onto a Custom Mac. I went with the HD5770 because it was recommended. There is no need to use a recommended card. The community will help you. Now, to help you save a few EUROS. Consider a used card like a 9800GT with 1GB of RAM. If your working with an SLR, then there is no need for a high end card like a GTX4xx, GTX5xx, or a GTX6xx. Read this entire page - http://studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm You will be shocked what having a higher end card will really do. If your going to make DVDs then fine! Get a high end GPU.

For SSDs the community has already spoken. My experience is Intel. The two that I have, have lasted me almost 2 years without an issue.

I haven't used any Corsair H coolers. I just read that the motors get loud. Which if you ask me isn't good. I don't like noise!

BTW, the i7-26/700k isn't needed either. It's just popular because of the ease to over clock. You can OC any i7. Just how far do you want to OC? The only reason to get the i7 is that it will last longer for the work that you will do. An i5, will be fine with SLR work BTW. Your real concern when working with AVCHD and such codecs is drive read speed. Hence, the need for a good SSD like Samsung and Intel.

Just be patient and keep asking questions. We will gladly help. TTYS.

I appreciate that a nVidia 9800GT would save me money but I feel that if i'm spending so much, i want this machine to be 100% future proof. Plus I'll be driving a 20" Apple Cinema Display at 1680x1050 and a 17" Phillips LCD at 1280x768. So which current gen AMD or nVidia cards are good in your opinions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back