Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I currently own a Macbook Air, but I plan on building a gaming computer. I want my computer to be as Hackintosh Compatible as possible, because I want to use OSX for almost everything but gaming. Some of the games I will be playing are SimCity (2013), The Sims 3, and games like Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3. As far as budget goes, $1000 is my maximum, but if I can save on components while not losing too much performance, let me know.

I have read the Buyer's Guide and browsed the forum and used the information to select my components.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3SH
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
PSU: Corsair Builder CX600 V2
Boot Drive: Sandisk Extreme 240GB
Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD7280-S
Bluetooth: IOgear Bluetooth 4.0 USB

I plan to use HDMI/DVI connect the computer to my HP2710m monitor on a 1920x1080 resolution. I already own a Snow Leopard (DVD), Mountain Lion Bootable Drive, Apple Magic Trackpad and Wireless Keyboard. Connecting to the internet via wired network.

My questions:
1. Will I need additional fans/coolers to manage the cooling of this build?
2. Can I use a Samsung 830 SSD instead of the Sandisk SSD without any problems?
3. Have I chosen a correct PSU, or should I go for a more/less powerful PSU?
4. Is there anything I have overlooked?

Other advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I currently own a Macbook Air, but I plan on building a gaming computer. I want my computer to be as Hackintosh Compatible as possible, because I want to use OSX for almost everything but gaming. Some of the games I will be playing are SimCity (2013), The Sims 3, and games like Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3. As far as budget goes, $1000 is my maximum, but if I can save on components while not losing too much performance, let me know.

I have read the Buyer's Guide and browsed the forum and used the information to select my components.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3SH
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
PSU: Corsair Builder CX600 V2
Boot Drive: Sandisk Extreme 240GB
Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD7280-S
Bluetooth: IOgear Bluetooth 4.0 USB

I plan to use HDMI/DVI connect the computer to my HP2710m monitor on a 1920x1080 resolution. I already own a Snow Leopard (DVD), Mountain Lion Bootable Drive, Apple Magic Trackpad and Wireless Keyboard. Connecting to the internet via wired network.

My questions:
1. Will I need additional fans/coolers to manage the cooling of this build?
2. Can I use a Samsung 830 SSD instead of the Sandisk SSD without any problems?
3. Have I chosen a correct PSU, or should I go for a more/less powerful PSU?
4. Is there anything I have overlooked?

Other advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

1: With regards to case cooling, you should be fine. A cooler master hyper 212 evo would be a nice edition to this build, it will ensure your CPU doesn't get very hot, and may even let you overclock a bit. For $30, it's a steal.

2: Yes. Just make sure to update your firmware to the latest.

3. I don't think you will need over 500W. You could lower the psu if anything, increasing would be a waste of money.

4: Nope, everything looks good.

Thanks for your response.

As far as PSUs go, is there a specific reason why the Corsair PSUs are recommended?

For the GPU, I'm thinking about downgrading to a MSI Geforce GTX 650. However, are both the 'normal' and the Ti edition compatible with Hackintosh models, or only the 'normal' graphics card? In the Buyer's Guide the GTX 650 and the GTX 660 Ti are discussed, but not the GTX 650 Ti and the 'normal' GTX 660.

I've got the 660 and I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. For most games it is fine and together with the i7-3770 it makes a pretty awesome system... but I have had one or two problems, specifically in Borderlands 2. In Mac OS I have to switch off pretty much all SFX in the game or I get weird and unpleasant visual stuff happening on the screen. It runs great and is perfectly playable with less bells and whistles but it's annoying to spend 200 Euros for low-end graphics. In Windows, Borderlands 2 looks awesome, but freezes after a few minutes game play... I have tried turning down settings but it still freezes completely.

Anyway, the same game plays just fine on my old 2009 iMac which has a poky Radeon 4850 graphic card... so I'm wondering if paying zillions for more resolution, texture detail is worth it at all. it's the same game, regardless of the graphics card.
If I was building a Hackintosh today I'd probably go for the slightly cheaper 650... ti? I forget which is which.

The 650, 650ti, 660, 660 Ti all work in Mac OSX. (as far as I can tell.)

Thanks for your advice. I will go for a GTX 650 Ti, because it seems to offer more value for money.

Since I am planning to dual-boot (OSX and Windows 7), would a second SSD boot drive be necessary or could I simply make 2 different partitions on the same SSD?

Thanks for your advice. I will go for a GTX 650 Ti, because it seems to offer more value for money.

Since I am planning to dual-boot (OSX and Windows 7), would a second SSD boot drive be necessary or could I simply make 2 different partitions on the same SSD?

from what I'm reading it is possible to dual boot osx and windows on the same drive using different partitions, but it would be easier to dual boot having a harddrive for each os. 1 ssd for windows and 1ssd for mac

I will be using two seperate SSDs/HDDs in that case.

Because this will be my first 'gaming' computer, I'm thinking about downscaling the costs (and size) of my build. Is there a (significantly) cheaper quad-core CPU that will still work flawlessly under Mountain Lion? Sandy Bridge CPUs perhaps? I'm aware that the Intel i3 3225 has been mentioned in the Buyers's Guide, but that's a dual-core CPU.

Also, what would a valid reason be to select Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H over the Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back