Contribute
Register

First Hackintosh for Pro Audio, several options!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job choosing the PSU. I was about to pick the AX 760i but I realised that the i included corsair link, so I would be wasting my money! It should be more than enough to power everything, nice and stable.

You can put two fans on the H60. The H60's radiator is the same size of the previous generation H50. However, the H60 has a new, upgraded water block that allows for more efficient flow. It also has the adjustable 90 degree connectors we've seen on the H70 making installation easier. Corsair provides a single 120mm 1700RPM PWM fan. The inclusion of a PWM fan is a nice touch since most motherboards have the needed 4-pin connector and have BIOS settings for easy fan speed control. This means the cooler can be virtually silent when idle, but ramp up the RPMs (and therefore noise) as needed. As mentioned, the H60 only includes one fan, but you can add a second fan for a push/pull configuration. You might need to buy some extra screws for it.

I personally would go for the H60, buy one Noctua (the smaller 120mm one) and replace the stock corsair fan, then you wont have two stock loud corsair fans becoming wasted if you bought the h80i. People have said adding two fans on the radiator doesn't improve their temps, maybe a 1 or 2 degree drop, so its not worth spending the extra cash to make more noise and not get any real difference. The H60 will be more than sufficient, and thanks to its improved efficiency and with your addition of a Noctua fan, you should be getting really good temperatures with very little noise! Plus the H60 is cheaper, and has less to go wrong with it, so you can put that cash towards the Noctua fan!

I found out that Noctua are going to be releasing a 200MM fan soon, so I would hold out till they release it. I would use the two Betfinx Prodigy fans that come with the case, put one at the top and put one in the front. You can then do whatever you'd like with the corsair stock cooler. Or if you want to spend the money and get rid of the prodigy fans and corsair fan (which will probably make alot of noise), then get two more Noctua fans (again, the same 120MM ones) and put one on the top and one in the front. When Noctua release their 200MM fan, then put that at the front and the two Noctua 120MM fans at the top.

Heres the link to the Noctua 200mm fan - http://www.eteknix.com/computex-noctua-developing-200mm-90mm-and-80mm-a-series-fans/

When Noctua release it, I'm going to be buying it to replace the 200MM fan in the Corsair Carbide 500R (the case im going to get for my build)

Now, about the fan controllers. You can get fan controllers that allow you to monitor and change the temps of a max of 6 fans per unit. Personally, I think the touch screen fan controllers are a massive gimmick, because it takes way to long to set the fan speed. You have to keep pressing the touchscreen, whereas if you went with a dial based fan controller, it'll be a lot quicker and more precise to change the speed of the fans rather than having to keep increasing the fans slowly one by one with a cheap and unresponsive touch screen.

This one is nice, because you have a slow, medium and high setting for each one of the 6 fans it supports. You can change the colours of the LED's and it looks like a solid choce.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002HTYR5G/?tag=tonymacx86-21

This is a very classy looking fan controller. It uses all dials for very precise fan speed settings.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000S0UOBW/?tag=tonymacx86-21

This controller allows you to control 3 fans with dials, but gives you a readout of the RPM and temperature of each fan and node. You could get two of these for a constant readout of your temps. This would probably be your best option.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005GNP6W8/?tag=tonymacx86-21

This controller allows you to control 4 fans with dials, each giving its own temperature readout.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0045JAHAA/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Another controller that allows you to control 4 fans with dials, each giving its own temperature readout.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0062DEYGA/?tag=tonymacx86-21

A touch screen 5 fan controller with an 'intuitive' interface giving you a temp readout and rpm of on fan at a time. If you would want to change the fan speed of each fan, you would have to go through them one by one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002L16OMO/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Hope this helps again :)

Again thanks for the response! You´re practically building my Hackintosh :mrgreen: so, leaving lights and brights aside, what´s the main difference between the H60 and the H80i? functionswise, if you say having 2 fans won´t make much difference, why does the H80i has 2? and about the radiators, if whether I´m buying one of the other, I´d be changing the fans, which radiator does a better job? that would be for me the most important question at this point. I also read that the H80i had 2 micro USB connections instead of 1 (H60) does it make any difference/sense?

Now again, I´m building this Hackintosh not as a main Studio Computer, but for it to "borrow" its horsepower to my main Computer via Vienna SW, that´s why I´m spending a bit more money on premium parts, since I know I wont feel the need of upgrading it pretty soon (The Recording DAWS changes, the Virtual Synths/Instruments/FXs remain the same normally, upgrades for stability, etc, but fwiw, its always the same) what I´m trying to say is, about the fans, I don´t mind changing them all and saving them for maybe another build on the future, if I´m gonna get a better/quieter/more silent performance.

So you think its better to put the water cooling on the rear as an intake, ant the one in the front also as an intake? where should I put the outake then? Maybe on the rear panel on the top of the water-cooling fan? or maybe under the Motherboard pointing the floor? (the prodigy has also breathing space underneath)

I´m gonna check those links now, I´ve just gotten excited with your reply :)

Again thanks for the response! You´re practically building my Hackintosh :mrgreen: so, leaving lights and brights aside, what´s the main difference between the H60 and the H80i? functionswise, if you say having 2 fans won´t make much difference, why does the H80i has 2? and about the radiators, if whether I´m buying one of the other, I´d be changing the fans, which radiator does a better job? that would be for me the most important question at this point. I also read that the H80i had 2 micro USB connections instead of 1 (H60) does it make any difference/sense?

Now again, I´m building this Hackintosh not as a main Studio Computer, but for it to "borrow" its horsepower to my main Computer via Vienna SW, that´s why I´m spending a bit more money on premium parts, since I know I wont feel the need of upgrading it pretty soon (The Recording DAWS changes, the Virtual Synths/Instruments/FXs remain the same normally, upgrades for stability, etc, but fwiw, its always the same) what I´m trying to say is, about the fans, I don´t mind changing them all and saving them for maybe another build on the future, if I´m gonna get a better/quieter/more silent performance.

So you think its better to put the water cooling on the rear as an intake, ant the one in the front also as an intake? where should I put the outake then? Maybe on the rear panel on the top of the water-cooling fan? or maybe under the Motherboard pointing the floor? (the prodigy has also breathing space underneath)

I´m gonna check those links now, I´ve just gotten excited with your reply :)

Right, the h80i needs 2 fans because the radiator is not as efficient as the one in the h60, hence why the h60 is quieter because it doesn't need two fans. The h60 also has tubes that rotate, so its easier to install and position. But performance wise, the h80i is better, so you might just want to stick with a h80i and put two noctua fans on it, because then having 2 would help with the efficiency and quietness, but a h60 would be quieter overall but not as good for performance. The h80i has a thick radiator, meaning it can dissipate heat better. So a h80i with two noctua fans would be the best option for you for maximum performance, for about the same noise level as a h60, give or take a little. Im not sure about the micro usb connections, never read anything about that.

Option 1: Get 6 Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans, install 2x on the h80i, 2x on the top and 2x on the bottom. Then get 2x of these 4 fan temp and control monitors (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamptron-Con...ontroller+5+25) and hook them up to the 8 fans. Then you can independently control all of the fans, and get a constant readout of the temperature's you attach the temp sensor nodes to (so you would attach two nodes to either side of the coolers radiator, and the 4 on things like the ram that is near to say, the front fans, motherboard processors which could be near to the top fans). This would allow you to control all the fans using 8 dials, getting readouts of temperatures in a lot of parts of your case. This is probably the best option if you wanted maximum control over all your fans.

Option 2: Get 4 Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans, install 2x on the h80i, and one on the top and front of the case. You can then put the 2x prodigy fans on the top and front of the case as well. Wait until Noctua releases the 200MM fan, put that on the front and put the small noctua fan from the front to the top. Whilst to 200MM fan will provide more efficiency at lower noise, 2x 120MM fans will give more performance. Also, your fan controllers will have a fan missing, unless you go for the 3 fan controller, and let the motherboard control the h80i fans by plugging them directly into motherboard.

Option 3: you can mix and match. Get a 4 fan controller and control the 4 external case fans at your leisure, and let the motherboard control the CPU cooler fans. You can set the motherboard cooling options from the bios, or install a gigabyte program in windows that will let you change settings inside windows.

Hope these options make sense. It's up to you, just think bout what you would like and what would be the quietest for you.

Now for the setting up of the fans and the position, you will have to do that for yourself. Generally, you want to visualise 1 radiator fan pulling hot air out of the case, and the other pushing cold air into the radiator. The fan pushing cold air is getting its cold air from the top fans, and some cold air from the front fans. Have a check of different configs and see what would be the best.
One outtake on the rear of the case, and the rest of the fans intakes.

I have basically done quite a lot of math for you. I hate maths :p

Also, I have edited a few of the latest posts with a little better wording, have a read of it again.

Also, I have edited a few of the latest posts with a little better wording, have a read of it again.

I really appreciate the time you´ve taken breaking all of that up for me, don´t know where you are but think I might have to invite you for a beer sor something :headbang:

Here´s the direct comparisson between both H60 and H80i:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-...eries-Cooler-Comparison-and-Review/Conclusion

btw, which one are you using?

as you can see, the difference of Temp between then is only of 4-6 degrees, same as with noise, the H60 is 4-6 degrees warmer but 4-6dns more silent, the H80i is the other way around (all of this with factory fans)

Does it worth it to get the H80i only for those 4-6 degrees? or is it worth it only if I change th fans for the Noctuas? (understanding that this might lower the temp AND the noise)

About the Noctuas, I´ve seen that one you buy the fan, it comes with a Sink, what do I do with it? can I install lets say, upper and front Noctuas with the Sink? don´t think it´ll fit at the front of the Prodigy having the HDD trays there though.

This is a hard decision for me, on one hand, I´m concerned about my Processor´s health when overclocked because of the Temps that I might achieve with the H60, on the other hand I´m concerned about the noise the H80i might cause.

The other option I´m thinking is, how about getting the H60 PLUS Noctua fan exchange? that should also improve performance and make it even quieter right?

As for the controllers, I´m still studying it :thumbup:

I´ve just found this on the internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HsjgtMzEg

Seems like changing the fans on the H80i makes a 5-7degree difference on temp! Have a look at the video and let me know of your conclusions...

btw, I wish I could fit an H100i, when you look at the video you´ll understand why :p

EDIT: Here´s what I´ve found so far:

Corsair´s factory fans have a 30,83db noise-ratio, against 22,4dbs for the Noctua, that means, even putting 2 Noctuas on a H80i, the noiserate is going to be under 45dbs. Corsair´s fan spins at 2000RPM max against 1300rpm max for the Noctua, BUT the Noctua has 2,61mm/H2O static pressure over 2,38mmH2O for the Corsair. That means basically, more air pressure at less noise and energy waste.

Being that said, an H80i modded with Noctua fans would be the perfect solution I guess, it can be configured as a Push&Pull System to lower the temp even more, as you can see on the Youtube video!

So I´m thinking on getting a bigger Noctua fan for frontcase intake (or as you said, leave the cheap case fan there ultil the new Noctua is out), 2x 120mm Noctuas for the top of the Case also as intakes, and then the radiator on the rear panel, should take air from the top/front panel, pull it through the radiator (1st.fan) and push it outside (2nd fan). I´d also put another fan on the bottom pushing air out, that one I´d let the Motherboard control since its only an extra out take.

With those 5 fans I could easily get the touchscreen fan controller (so fancy I loved its looks :D) What do you think? Would you do it some other way?

THANKSS!!! :headbang::headbang::mrgreen:

I´ve just found this on the internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HsjgtMzEg

Seems like changing the fans on the H80i makes a 5-7degree difference on temp! Have a look at the video and let me know of your conclusions...

btw, I wish I could fit an H100i, when you look at the video you´ll understand why :p

Ive already seen both the links you sent me, Linus Tech Tips (youtube guy) is great for things like this! For my build, I'm going to use a Corsair h110 and replace both fans with Noctua's.

STOP: I FOUND THE PERFECT COOLER FOR YOU, I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT IT.

THE CORSAIR H90!!!!!!

It runs slightly cooler than the H80i, has those new tubes for better efficiency, and uses a larger fan for better efficiency and quieter operation. Now you can install a 140MM fan in the back of the Prodigy case, so you will need to replace the stock 140MM fan with a Noctua NF-A14 FLX fan, the main reason being the Noctua fan is pressure optimised and the stock corsair fan isn't.
Done, sorted, get a h90. Check out the temps, it should be the best option! If you can use one fan and get good temps instead of using two and only getting a little difference, then your system will be much quieter!

Ive already seen both the links you sent me, Linus Tech Tips (youtube guy) is great for things like this! For my build, I'm going to use a Corsair h110 and replace both fans with Noctua's.

STOP: I FOUND THE PERFECT COOLER FOR YOU, I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT IT.

THE CORSAIR H90!!!!!!

It runs slightly cooler than the H80i, has those new tubes for better efficiency, and uses a larger fan for better efficiency and quieter operation. Now you can install a 140MM fan in the back of the Prodigy case, so you will need to replace the stock 140MM fan with a Noctua NF-A14 FLX fan, the main reason being the Noctua fan is pressure optimised and the stock corsair fan isn't.
Done, sorted, get a h90. Check out the temps, it should be the best option! If you can use one fan and get good temps instead of using two and only getting a little difference, then your system will be much quieter!

Best of both worlds!! Only one fan, even more silent than the H60, BUT bigger radiator for better performance, like the H80i!! you´re a genious man! only concern would be, can I actually fit that on the rear panel of the Prodigy? and am I still able to control fan speeds, temps and all of that stuff like whith the H80i and the Corsair Link thingy?

Best of both worlds!! Only one fan, even more silent than the H60, BUT bigger radiator for better performance, like the H80i!! you´re a genious man! only concern would be, can I actually fit that on the rear panel of the Prodigy? and am I still able to control fan speeds, temps and all of that stuff like whith the H80i and the Corsair Link thingy?

I really think you can fit the 140MM radiator on the back of the prodigy, since the prodigy allows you to fit a 140MM fan in the back!
I don't think the H90 uses corsair link, but i don't think your using that (you would have to buy extra gear, and because your buying a standard PSU and not an iPSU, then you wont be able to monitor your voltages even if you did invest in corsair link. For fan speeds, you could either plug them into the motherboard or control them yourself through a fan controller, I THINK ANYWAY!

But still, I'm pretty sure the H90 will fit inside the prodigy. Put on Noctuas best 140MM fan (which is the Noctua NF-A14 FLX) and you should get great temps!

I really think you can fit the 140MM radiator on the back of the prodigy, since the prodigy allows you to fit a 140MM fan in the back!
I don't think the H90 uses corsair link, but i don't think your using that (you would have to buy extra gear, and because your buying a standard PSU and not an iPSU, then you wont be able to monitor your voltages even if you did invest in corsair link. For fan speeds, you could either plug them into the motherboard or control them yourself through a fan controller, I THINK ANYWAY!

But still, I'm pretty sure the H90 will fit inside the prodigy. Put on Noctuas best 140MM fan (which is the Noctua NF-A14 FLX) and you should get great temps!

I think I´m getting confused, the Corsair Link and the Standalone fan controller are almost the same thing, or better said, different things that do almost the same stuff right? I mean, its not that without the Corsair Link I wont be able to measure and control my fans/temps right?

If its like that, I´d get the H90 with the bigger Noctua fan, configured in pull mode, a couple of Noctuas on the top as intakes, and a bigger noctua on the front also as intake, all of them connected to the controller, and then on the botton I´ll leave any of the fans as an out take connected straight to the Motherboard, ultimate solution right??

Is there a Fan controller that can actually automatically react when reaching certain temps? or that I can program to do it?I mean, as lets say, the touchscreen one? That´s the part missing for me on the cooling system I think

Captura de pantalla 2013-06-30 a la(s) 02.14.43.png

That´s using Noctua 120mm and 140mm fans! even having 2 fans, the H80i can´t keep up with the H90!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back