Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello :D

Im fairly new to the hackintosh scene, I've been doing a lot of research into it and pretty much every points to tonymacx86 to get the right software/help/advice etc. I want to build a hackintosh for music production and gaming. I have a 2011 iMac at the moment, which is a pretty good machine, but I've always wanted to build my own PC, and I want to convert from console gaming to PC gaming.

Here's the rig at the moment. I will go with ivy bridge, otherwise i'll just be waiting for ages untill everything is compatible.

Intel i7-3770k CPU :headbang:
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Asus GTX 770 GPU (Would really like the reference model though)
OCZ Vector 128GB SSD
Corsair AX 760i PSU
Corsair Obsidian 650D Case
Corsair Hydro H110 Liquid Cooling (not sure if it will fit in the 650D Case) :crazy:
Corsair 16GB 1600MHZ Dominator Platinum Series RAM
2x WD Green 1TB HDD's (will be putting them in RAID)

Im sure this build could do with tweaking and optimising, but at the moment it comes in at around £1500. Im not really sure about any of this build apart from the i7 CPU and the GTX 770 GPU. I would really appreciate recommendations, changes and tweaks to get make this build better. If I sell my iMac i'll get around £1200, and ideally I would like to spend £1400 but i can probably stretch to £1600. The main things I will be using the system for is music production (fast HDD's, in raid) and gaming (SSD may need a larger capacity).

Thanks alot for taking your time to help me out :)

Hello :D

Im fairly new to the hackintosh scene, I've been doing a lot of research into it and pretty much every points to tonymacx86 to get the right software/help/advice etc. I want to build a hackintosh for music production and gaming. I have a 2011 iMac at the moment, which is a pretty good machine, but I've always wanted to build my own PC, and I want to convert from console gaming to PC gaming.

Here's the rig at the moment. I will go with ivy bridge, otherwise i'll just be waiting for ages untill everything is compatible.

Intel i7-3770k CPU :headbang:
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Asus GTX 770 GPU (Would really like the reference model though)
OCZ Vector 128GB SSD
Corsair AX 760i PSU
Corsair Obsidian 650D Case
Corsair Hydro H110 Liquid Cooling (not sure if it will fit in the 650D Case) :crazy:
Corsair 16GB 1600MHZ Dominator Platinum Series RAM
2x WD Green 1TB HDD's (will be putting them in RAID)

Im sure this build could do with tweaking and optimising, but at the moment it comes in at around £1500. Im not really sure about any of this build apart from the i7 CPU and the GTX 770 GPU. I would really appreciate recommendations, changes and tweaks to get make this build better. If I sell my iMac i'll get around £1200, and ideally I would like to spend £1400 but i can probably stretch to £1600. The main things I will be using the system for is music production (fast HDD's, in raid) and gaming (SSD may need a larger capacity).

Thanks alot for taking your time to help me out :)

One thing will give you GUARANTEED problems - Western Digital Green Hard Drives - they have a habit of going to sleep under OSX and not waking up. One thing they are not is fast. Change for the far faster Black range and don't bother with raid. The rest of the hardware is fine and the Sabertooth board has been used for a number of builds, so you will be able to read up on the experiences of others before you embark on your first Hackintosh.

Good Luck

Adrian B

Looks like a good build to me, although for sound production the pump/fan on a liquid cooled CPU cooler is probably going to be louder than you want unless your box is in a separate room or you are only handling already recorded tracks.

ram has skyrocketed in price :thumbdown:
£140 for the platinum series ram is waste. can get branded good quality 1600mhz ram for £80 - £100

the 760i is a great psu, but £150? bit much imo. can get a cheaper psu which will do the job just as well.

im a tight ass though, so i wouldnt be spending that much on the ram and psu, especially the ram.

Thanks alot,

I'll change the WD drives, I had a feeling the green drives wouldn't be fast.
I'll change the ram aswell, Im not after super led lights, i wouldn't be able to see them, i just discovered the platinum has LED's on them, hence why they are so expensive.

Im gonna change the build alot, i'll make a new thread with updated components.
Thanks

best to keep it all in the same thread, otherwise it gets confusing, plus its pointless having different threads all over the place for the same thing

Started A Different Thread

I made a different thread with different components, first time posting on this forum so just have to get used to how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back