Intel i7-3770K
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello!

I will be starting my first hackintosh build in the next couple months, and have been spending some time doing research into potential build options.

I'm building this machine primarily for video editing (Premiere and After Effects) and 3D modeling and rendering (Blender and Maya). Most of my questions are mainly about my core components (MB, CPU, and GPU), because that is where I am looking for bang-for-my-buck with the type of work I will be doing. I won't use my machine for gaming.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH - I am leaning toward the UD5H, because I have read that the wireless and bluetooth do not work (and I would buy a wireless card if I need one, but I'll probably use ethernet), and it is $65 cheaper. I am also hesitant to pay extra for Thunderbolt. I will not have any Thunderbolt displays, but I would like to know if anyone thinks this is worth having (and worth the price tag).

CPU
Intel i7 3770K - This seemed to be generally agreed upon in most builds, but I was wondering why the i7 3820 is $45 cheaper, and if it is worth paying the extra for the 3770K

GPU
This is probably the area where I have the most questions. I want to take advantage of an nVidia card for use with Adobe programs. In my research I found many discussions that seemed to conclude that the GTX 5-series is better for 3D work, however, most of these discussions took place towards the end of last year, and it seems very difficult to find 5-series cards now. Also, the CustoMac: Buyers Guide April 2013 only lists 6-series GPUs. For my purposes should I be looking at the 6-series, or would I be better served looking elsewhere?

In the 6-series, right now I'm looking at the GTX 660 (2 GB or 3 GB) and GTX 660 Ti (2 GB or 3 GB). For the kind of work that I am planning on doing (video editing and 3D), would I benefit more from sticking with a 660 and going with 3 GB or from upping to a 660 Ti and only having 2 GB? Considering the 2-3 GB difference is only about $30, I mainly want to know if the Ti is worth the extra $65-$75.

Also, from the builds I have seen, I am planning on going with EVGA. Any other thoughts on that?

RAM
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB - My only question here is whether to go for the low profile version. This is the RAM i have seen listed for many other builds, but I have read a few posts that say the high profile can get in the way of fans. Any advice here would be appreciated.

SSD
SanDisk Extreme 120 GB - For OS and Applications.

HDD
WesternDigital Green 2 TB - For storage.

Misc.
DVD/Blu-Ray Drive - I'll decide on this later, but any input is appreciated!
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced - Looks aren't an important detail, but I did like this case and it seems to be a good case.
Power Supply - Also not decided on yet, but I'll figure that out once the core components have been decided. (But once again, any input is greatly appreciated!)
Firewire Card - Found this on No Film School's build, and I'll need it for camcorder video transfer.

Thanks in advance for any answers or guidance!

-Jordan

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH - I am leaning toward the UD5H, because I have read that the wireless and bluetooth do not work (and I would buy a wireless card if I need one, but I'll probably use ethernet), and it is $65 cheaper. I am also hesitant to pay extra for Thunderbolt. I will not have any Thunderbolt displays, but I would like to know if anyone thinks this is worth having (and worth the price tag).
I dont think thunderbolt is worth having, on a hackintosh it only supports the integrated
graphics, plus very few things actually support thunderbolt.
CPU

Intel i7 3770K - This seemed to be generally agreed upon in most builds, but I was wondering why the i7 3820 is $45 cheaper, and if it is worth paying the extra for the 3770K
Yeah, go with the 3770k the cpu that you linked uses the LGA2011 chipset and will not fit this motherboard.
GPU
This is probably the area where I have the most questions. I want to take advantage of an nVidia card for use with Adobe programs. In my research I found many discussions that seemed to conclude that the GTX 5-series is better for 3D work, however, most of these discussions took place towards the end of last year, and it seems very difficult to find 5-series cards now. Also, the CustoMac: Buyers Guide April 2013 only lists 6-series GPUs. For my purposes should I be looking at the 6-series, or would I be better served looking elsewhere?
I'd go with a 600 series gpu, even if its a little slower. It's much more supported, and your less likely to run into compatibility issues.
In the 6-series, right now I'm looking at the GTX 660 (2 GB or 3 GB) and GTX 660 Ti (2 GB or 3 GB). For the kind of work that I am planning on doing (video editing and 3D), would I benefit more from sticking with a 660 and going with 3 GB or from upping to a 660 Ti and only having 2 GB? Considering the 2-3 GB difference is only about $30, I mainly want to know if the Ti is worth the extra $65-$75.
The 660ti is way overpriced. Have you considered the GTX 650 ti boost? It's significantly cheaper and packs a huge punch for its price, its almost on par with the 660. It's a big step up from the 650 ti, with its 192bit bus and boost features, exactly what you need for what your doing.
Also, from the builds I have seen, I am planning on going with EVGA. Any other thoughts on that?
I personally like EVGA's style more then anybody else's. Their products dont look obnoxious, like many other brands do. I use an EVGA card.
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB - My only question here is whether to go for the low profile version. This is the RAM i have seen listed for many other builds, but I have read a few posts that say the high profile can get in the way of fans. Any advice here would be appreciated.
I have the high profile version and if using an aftermarket cooler, it could get in the way of the RAM. My cooler (CM212+) gets in the way of the first slot if using high profile ram, luckily I just didn't use the first slot and everything is fine.
SSD

SanDisk Extreme 120 GB - For OS and Applications
good choice, I have the same drive. Be sure to updaate it to the lattest firmware as sandisk did a major firmware upgrade for TRIM.
HDD
WesternDigital Green 2 TB - For storage.

Misc.
DVD/Blu-Ray Drive - I'll decide on this later, but any input is appreciated!
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced - Looks aren't an important detail, but I did like this case and it seems to be a good case.
Power Supply - Also not decided on yet, but I'll figure that out once the core components have been decided. (But once again, any input is greatly appreciated!)
Firewire Card - Found this on No Film School's build, and I'll need it for camcorder video transfer.

Thanks in advance for any answers or guidance!

-Jordan

Your 6xx series GPU is the one to go with, as Kepler-based GPUs are natively supported in OS X. I reccomend going with the 3770k instead of the 3820. LGA2011 motherboards are more expensive, and LGA2011 CPUS don't have power management or speedstep working. (This means your CPu will always be running at its top clock speed, it won't throttle down to 1.6 when idle.) The i7 3770K is much better supported in OS X, and is much easier to get fully working.

Nathan991: Same situation here. I am a motion graphic designer / video editor + 3d. I am researching like you about the GPU.

So far I have decided these hardware for my first build.

CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K

Mother board: GA-Z77X-UD5H or GA-Z77X-UP5-TH ------ Advice needed -------

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC Edition ------ Any alternative suggestion welcome----

PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX750)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 --------- Not sure which one is supportive-----

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

HDD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB or 120 GB

Storage: WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch

Misc: Firewire card , Wifi card, 140mm Fan, Bluetooth adapter.

Expert advice needed to choosing the right hardware.

coz its a big investment and I dont want to mess this up....

Expert advice needed to choosing the right hardware.

coz its a big investment and I dont want to mess this up....

If your budget will stand it put in a couple of Titans or GTX690s, or drop back to a pair of GTX680s. I would not use anything less than a 660TI. A pair of GTX580s would actually be better, but they are hard to find since the 6xx series came out.

If your budget will stand it put in a couple of Titans or GTX690s, or drop back to a pair of GTX680s. I would not use anything less than a 660TI. A pair of GTX580s would actually be better, but they are hard to find since the 6xx series came out.

I would love have pair of GTX 690's... Can I have one for the first build and later I install another one?

I would love have pair of GTX 690's... Can I have one for the first build and later I install another one?

Yes. Build with the first one and add the other later when you can afford it.

Nathan991: Same situation here. I am a motion graphic designer / video editor + 3d. I am researching like you about the GPU.

So far I have decided these hardware for my first build.

CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K

Mother board: GA-Z77X-UD5H or GA-Z77X-UP5-TH ------ Advice needed -------

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC Edition ------ Any alternative suggestion welcome----

PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX750)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 --------- Not sure which one is supportive-----

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

HDD: SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB or 120 GB

Storage: WD Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch

After going through all these... This configuration is bit old is it ? I have seen this is more than 1 year old...

Why should I build such an old system ??? I mean the Mobo and CPU

I need a fast one for HD video editing + 3D animation...

Custom Mac Pro build on Tonymacx86 is not updated or what?

After going through all these... This configuration is bit old is it ? I have seen this is more than 1 year old...

Why should I build such an old system ??? I mean the Mobo and CPU

I need a fast one for HD video editing + 3D animation...

Custom Mac Pro build on Tonymacx86 is not updated or what?

At the moment, this is top-of-line hardware. Intel should be releasing new CPU sometime this summer and board manufacturers will be releasing new boards with new socket at same time. Whether or not they work with OS X remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back