Contribute
Register

First Hackintosh Build - Video Editing and 3D Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
GPU
This is probably the area where I have the most questions. I want to take advantage of an nVidia card for use with Adobe programs. In my research I found many discussions that seemed to conclude that the GTX 5-series is better for 3D work, however, most of these discussions took place towards the end of last year, and it seems very difficult to find 5-series cards now. Also, the CustoMac: Buyers Guide April 2013 only lists 6-series GPUs. For my purposes should I be looking at the 6-series, or would I be better served looking elsewhere?
I'd go with a 600 series gpu, even if its a little slower. It's much more supported, and your less likely to run into compatibility issues.
In the 6-series, right now I'm looking at the GTX 660 (2 GB or 3 GB) and GTX 660 Ti (2 GB or 3 GB). For the kind of work that I am planning on doing (video editing and 3D), would I benefit more from sticking with a 660 and going with 3 GB or from upping to a 660 Ti and only having 2 GB? Considering the 2-3 GB difference is only about $30, I mainly want to know if the Ti is worth the extra $65-$75.
The 660ti is way overpriced. Have you considered the GTX 650 ti boost? It's significantly cheaper and packs a huge punch for its price, its almost on par with the 660. It's a big step up from the 650 ti, with its 192bit bus and boost features, exactly what you need for what your doing.
Also, from the builds I have seen, I am planning on going with EVGA. Any other thoughts on that?
I personally like EVGA's style more then anybody else's. Their products dont look obnoxious, like many other brands do. I use an EVGA card.

I've checked out the GTX650 Ti Boost, but its actually a decent bit below my budget ($200 - $300), so if possible, I would like to step up, but I just am not sure how far to step up and it still be worth it. Is it worth paying the extra $20-$30 to get a 660 and the extra CUDA cores?

Also, in regards to the memory, upgrading from 2 GB to 3 GB (an option also not available for the 650 Ti Boost, as far as I can tell) is only about a $30 difference for any given model. For video editing and 3D work (no gaming), is this beneficial?

I've checked out the GTX650 Ti Boost, but its actually a decent bit below my budget ($200 - $300), so if possible, I would like to step up, but I just am not sure how far to step up and it still be worth it. Is it worth paying the extra $20-$30 to get a 660 and the extra CUDA cores?

Also, in regards to the memory, upgrading from 2 GB to 3 GB (an option also not available for the 650 Ti Boost, as far as I can tell) is only about a $30 difference for any given model. For video editing and 3D work (no gaming), is this beneficial?

Does anyone have any advice in regards to the GTX 650 Ti Boost vs the 660?

And any insight as to how much memory is actually worth getting?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any advice in regards to the GTX 650 Ti Boost vs the 660?

And any insight as to how much memory is actually worth getting?

Thanks!

I would go with the Gigabyte GTX 660. It's only 190 after rebate at Amazon.com right now.
The 650 Ti Boost will cost about 170 to 180, more cuda cores is never a bad thing to have.

More than 2gb isn't necessary unless you would be running 4 or more monitors at a time.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-PCI-Express-Displayport-Graphics-GV-N660OC-2GD/dp/B00942TK8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369435122&sr=8-1&keywords=660+gigabyte+boost

I would go with the Gigabyte GTX 660. It's only 190 after rebate at Amazon.com right now.
The 650 Ti Boost will cost about 170 to 180, more cuda cores is never a bad thing to have.

More than 2gb isn't necessary unless you would be running 4 or more monitors at a time.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-PCI-Express-Displayport-Graphics-GV-N660OC-2GD/dp/B00942TK8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369435122&sr=8-1&keywords=660+gigabyte+boost

Thanks for the insight! As I'm only going to have a two-monitor setup, I'll stick with the 2 GB.

Any particular reason for the preference of Gigabyte or EVGA? I've seen about an equal listing of both in most builds, with probably a few more EVGAs. They're about the same price, with maybe just a few dollars difference either way.

Also in the EVGA realm, I've seen the Signature 2, and while the specs are only a bit faster (granted its not much more expensive either). But from looking at it, would the extra fan be helpful with cooling? I was just wondering.

Thanks again for the help!

Like EIVFilms, I too would like to know if EVGA is the best option, and whether the 680 SC Signature 2 (with two fans) is the best option.

Can someone give an opinion on my build, for motion graphics and video work:

GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2
CPU: i7-3770k 3.5GHz
PSU: Corsair HX750
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB
Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive
Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCI
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R

Cheers.

Thanks for the insight! As I'm only going to have a two-monitor setup, I'll stick with the 2 GB.

Any particular reason for the preference of Gigabyte or EVGA? I've seen about an equal listing of both in most builds, with probably a few more EVGAs. They're about the same price, with maybe just a few dollars difference either way.

Also in the EVGA realm, I've seen the Signature 2, and while the specs are only a bit faster (granted its not much more expensive either). But from looking at it, would the extra fan be helpful with cooling? I was just wondering.

Thanks again for the help!

This EVGA 660 superclocked is based on the reference design from Nvidia it's basically an exact replica of it.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SUPERCLOCKED-Graphics-02G-P4-2662-KR/dp/B00966IREK

It's enclosed so that the heat exits to the back of the PC case. Every 660 card uses the same gfx chip
that they purchase from Nvidia. Choice of a brand simply comes down to design preference and how well
that company supports their customers when problems arise.

The Gigabyte uses the windforce design that runs quieter and stays cooler than the EVGA They're both great cards and will perform almost identically to each other. It's just a matter of personal preference and how quiet and cool you'd like the card to be. Personally I like the larger / quieter dual 100mm fans on the GB model. So for less money you get a card as good as the Signature 2 model from EVGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back