Contribute
Register

First hackintosh - audio production; Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming, Intel Core i7-9700K, will Thunderbolt work?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i7 9700k
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Other
Hi there,
this is going to be my first hackintosh. Thank you guys, for all the handy info I was able to gain while browsing tonymacx86!
Currently I'm on a Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010 "cheesegrater" and unfortunately it doesn't support thunderbolt.
I'm tired of not being able to use my Antelope audio interface at its full potential. So this dual boot (macOS/Win10) hackintosh needs to have a reliable thunderbolt 2/3 connection. Could you please help me figure out, if this set of parts is going to work as intended?
I'm not tied to a specific version of macOS, as long as it's Sierra or later (I'm still on Sierra at the moment). I need macOS for audio production(LogicProX), so I was wondering if the CPU's integrated graphics processor was sufficient to handle the system/LogicProX properly.
Sometimes I game on my Windows partition; is it possible to use the igpu on macOS and, let's say, a Nvidia RTX card on a Windows partition? Are there any issues I may encounter?
BTW, I was wondering if LogicPro benefits of hyperthreading, just in case you're experienced in that matter, should I go for a CPU that supports it?
Do you generally have any recommendations or advices?

Components:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming (has Thunderbolt-Header 5-Pin)
Thunderbolt3: Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge, PCIe 3.0 x4
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K, 8x 3.60GHz
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-38 (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, SATA
GPU: A Nvidia RTX card for Windows, MacOS should use the igpu (Intel UHD Graphics 630)
Powersupply: Be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600W ATX 2.4 (BN298)

As far as I know, all these components should work fine in a hackintosh. Only the thunderbolt card may cause trouble. There are many threads that approach these problems with mixed results, that's why I'm a little concerned.
So I highly appreciate any help or advice in that matter especially!
If you need further detail, please let me know. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Motherboard
Lenovo t470
CPU
Intel Core i7-6600U
Graphics
Intel 520
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi AliAdapter

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you, I'm in the same situation. Hopefully someone has some wise words here, I'm following this thread.

Good luck

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i7 9700k
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Other
Hi AliAdapter

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you, I'm in the same situation. Hopefully someone has some wise words here, I'm following this thread.

Good luck

Hey Lucard,

thank you for your reply. I actually ordered the parts yesterday, so I'll be building in a couple of days hopefully.
I'll keep you informed.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i7 9700k
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Other
I was able to successfully install mojave on my machine, everything worked like a charm, even with an unsupported nvidia rtx gpu plugged in. However, the moment i plugged in the gc titan ridge it was all immediatley gone :(
here's the thread

Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Hey dude - Im about to try exactly what you tried. I chose the mATX version of the mobo (Z390M) and was planning on using the GC titan ridge too. Same processor as well, but Crucial Basslitix Sport LT V2 32GB ram and an M.2. SSD Samsung 970 Evo Plus. Definately following this and thanks for bringing this up i was about to create my own post!

Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
i did some research - did you install the drivers for the gc titan ridge in windows first?

Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Not knowing where the boot process is stopping for you, I can only speculate... That being said, if I had to bet, I would put my money the Aptio fix you are using.

What happened to your USB ports?

When I get back to my Z390 M system, I can post my EFI for you to try.
Hey dude can you post what you've got so far for that Z390M system? are you gonna go for a 390m gaming or the mATX version of the Z390 m, which seems nice to me because it actually caps ram at an incredible 128gb

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey dude can you post what you've got so far for that Z390M system? are you gonna go for a 390m gaming or the mATX version of the Z390 m, which seems nice to me because it actually caps ram at an incredible 128gb
I have the following:
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming (rev. 1)
i9-9900K
G.Skill TridentZ 64GB RAM
Radeon VII
GC-Titan Ridge card
Apple BCM94360CS2 on a PCI-e adaptor

Both the Z390 M and the Z390 M Gaming are mATX motherboards.

All Z390 with updated BIOS has support for 128GB RAM (as long as they have 4 DIMM slots).

Motherboard
MSI H170I Pro AC
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have the following:
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming (rev. 1)
i9-9900K
G.Skill TridentZ 64GB RAM
Radeon VII
GC-Titan Ridge card
Apple BCM94360CS2 on a PCI-e adaptor

Both the Z390 M and the Z390 M Gaming are mATX motherboards.

All Z390 with updated BIOS has support for 128GB RAM (as long as they have 4 DIMM slots).
Could you please share the TB3 card ssdt/aml files and which slot we need to put the Z390M
What are the bios settings for TB3 activation ?
Does Hotplug TB3 devices work