Contribute
Register

First Hack building

Wich motherboard for recording and mixing audio?

• GA Z87 OC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GA Z87 UD5H

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • GA Z87 UD4H

• GA Z87 UD3H

• GA Z87 D3H

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook
Hi, I want to build a Hack as I work with audio and I'm running an old macbook (core 2 duo 2.16 2007) little upgraded and nice but not for today working...

I work with audio recording and mixing, so external sound board will be a must, but I don't think there are much trouble with pci firewire boards. right?

I'm going to buy soon and I want some advice, I'm going for a i7 4770K, my doubts are in the mother, of course... here is what I can get and a price reference.

Gigabyte GA Z87X OC 2.2
Gigabyte GA Z87X UD5H 2.7
Gigabyte GA Z87X UD4H 2
Gigabyte GA Z87X UD3H 1.9
Gigabyte GA Z87X U3H 1.85

Well prices aren't much different, exception for the UD5H... so any of the others could go... I won't be doing OC as daily practice so OC doesn't particuarly hunts me, I'd love a thunderbolt one but I can't find them here, so maybe U3H or UD3H so tomorrow I could get a TH one of they bring it to the country...

I will stay at onboard graphics for now, because I want it for audio but I will add it later.

SSD maybe a sandisk 110X or samsung 840 pro, I cant find any of the ones in the buyer's guide here. Are those OK?
Already have an 750GB 7200rpm disk almost new around...

2x4GB DDR 1866 MHz corsair vengance pro CL9, will be fine for now and I always can change them if required...

Power Supply CoolerMaster 600W (I guess it should be enoght, but I could go for something bigger so not need to change it when expanding)

Maybe hydro cooler master seidon 240m, but maybe I keep the stock by now and see if it gets hot... by now I shouldn't push it too hard. Maybe with a cooler master 212 evo I'll be fine. Corsair H100i or H80i are options too.

I'm really new at this, so any feedback would be really appreciated, I know haswell isn't for begginers but I don't see the point in an ivy now a new line came out, it's like I'll start with a two years old and I want it to last, price aren't much higher, so... Also I'm a diyer for other electronic stuff so not scared if it doesn't work at once...

JS

Hi, I want to build a Hack as I work with audio and I'm running an old macbook (core 2 duo 2.16 2007) little upgraded and nice but not for today working...

I work with audio recording and mixing, so external sound board will be a must, but I don't think there are much trouble with pci firewire boards. right?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/59767-firewire-800-400-card-own-100-compatibility.html

I'm going to buy soon and I want some advice, I'm going for a i7 4770K, my doubts are in the mother, of course... here is what I can get and a price reference.

Gigabyte GA Z87X OC 2.2
Gigabyte GA Z87X UD5H 2.7
Gigabyte GA Z87X UD4H 2
Gigabyte GA Z87X UD3H 1.9
Gigabyte GA Z87X U3H 1.85

Well prices aren't much different, exception for the UD5H... so any of the others could go... I won't be doing OC as daily practice so OC doesn't particuarly hunts me, I'd love a thunderbolt one but I can't find them here, so maybe U3H or UD3H so tomorrow I could get a TH one of they bring it to the country...

I can't tell you which one is best for your requirements - if you have seen builds using these on the forum, then go with your instinct. :thumbup:

I will stay at onboard graphics for now, because I want it for audio but I will add it later.

There is no need for anything other than onboard for audio use, for video editing or gaming then yes you would need better graphics power.

SSD maybe a sandisk 110X or samsung 840 pro, I cant find any of the ones in the buyer's guide here. Are those OK?
Already have an 750GB 7200rpm disk almost new around...

You can use any SSD - suggest that you make sure that the firmware is up to date.

2x4GB DDR 1866 MHz corsair vengance pro CL9, will be fine for now and I always can change them if required...

That will certainly be a big improvement on your old MacBook.

Power Supply CoolerMaster 600W (I guess it should be enoght, but I could go for something bigger so not need to change it when expanding)

You will not need more than 550w even with a BD drive, 6 HDDs and a decent graphics card. Buy a good quality branded PSU between 500w-600w with enough connections on it. Consider modular to help airflow and reduce internal temperatures. If you want something that is very quiet then brands such as Seasonic manufacture excellent models that are completely fanless. Expensive but very quiet with a 7 year warranty.

Maybe hydro cooler master seidon 240m, but maybe I keep the stock by now and see if it gets hot... by now I shouldn't push it too hard. Maybe with a cooler master 212 evo I'll be fine. Corsair H100i or H80i are options too.

The standard one will work fine, spending a little extra can give reduced noise or greater cooling performance. Most of these are designed with gamers in mind - all they want is performance, so many aftermarket designs can be rather noisy.

I'm really new at this, so any feedback would be really appreciated, I know haswell isn't for begginers but I don't see the point in an ivy now a new line came out, it's like I'll start with a two years old and I want it to last, price aren't much higher, so... Also I'm a diyer for other electronic stuff so not scared if it doesn't work at once...

Haswell is fine for beginners, like you say it is available here and now and is newer technology. You may wish to use Mountain Lion depending on the applications that you are using at present. Does your laptop run Snow Leopard or Lion? Here is a handy part of the forum for more music information:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/

Adrian B

bad news about those FW stuff.. I was looking to a cheap one with the TI, a shame... here in Argentina this board with the LSI chip is half the price the 4770K! seems too much for this, here everithing is overpriced, but this brake records.

The GPU is used as DSP for some software, that's why attractive to have one... they really improve the processing but not as necessary as video editing or gaming.

I think I'll go for marv because I work on logic, 9 actually but 10 will be with the new machine... also for the time I get all the parts and make the build they should have already fixed worst bugs and drivers should be updated... will check before going on it but anyway I have to instal a previous version before...

Thanks for all the data, I'll search more about all this later.

JS

A lot of people had problems in 10.8 using a Startech model. The SYBA SD-PEX50011 has been popular.Use the search facility and do a thorough search with prospective models before you purchase.
I was providing links for someone in Brazil on this thread and he came up with a cheap option that someone had recommended to him. I cannot vouch for the information, but you might want to try a search using the make/model:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-compatibility/114916-rosewill-firewire-pci-card.html

Adrian B

I've never thought that firewire would be a problem, as standard was always better compatibility with mac than windows... many people in windows have problems with it, in fact I had when tried to use a PC because my macbook wasn't close...

Maybe I go for the cheap one with the TI and try what happens, I don't think the latency would be as bad and some of it could be corrected without much trouble, I don't seem to get a LSI one at reasonable price, if it's the only choise I'll have to buy it, but only if it's really necesary.

Firewire is a must for me, now 400 but soon 800 I hope, I'm thinking in a new sound card with better quality, but right now my computer doesn't let me work, and if I change it has to be for something that worth. GA-Z87x-UD5H seems to be the only that has onboard FW400, no FW800 so not a final solution and pay the difference for a partial solution don't like me a lot.

Thanks for the feedback Adrian B.

JS

Firewire has been obsolete in the consumer market for a while now. It is still widely used in Audio work by a number of manufactures. Thing will be using ThunderBolt 2 soon I would imagine, but in the mean time you and thousands of others need to use working computers with Firewire for audio work. The software often need to use Lion or early Mountain Lion and that effects the motherboard and CPU choices available to people.

Haswell hardware is not supported in OS X prior to 10.8.5.

Adrian B

The onboard firewire is not always successful, take care with that.
Why do you need firewire? For HDDdrives or for your audio interface? USB3 is just as fast for HDD's.

If you can't find a Firewire PCI card that will work, you can also go for a motherboard with thunderbolt and use an Apple thunderbolt-firewire converter. But, i have not seen a build with one yet for the haswell cpu's because the only one that is available is JUST available. Follow this thread.
I wonder if the price is Argentina is... realistic...

GA-Z87X-UD5 TH is not avaiable here, I've seen only one place that had at the time GA-Z77X-UD5 TH but the Z87 doesn't seem to exist here... it would be the best option, ofcourse, but I don't see the chance to get it, maybe I could buy some parts from the outside but memory, SSD and some other small part, not much than that.

A friend using his externa HD at FW800 at macbook pro gets better realiability than USB3... with USB3 get's cuts when listen to music and doing something else on it, not with FW... Still better ways to connect an external HD in a desktop, why they have SATA at the back pannel?

I'm going for 10.9 or 10.8.5 so not a problem, the problem is with FW or thunderbolt. It's a PIA this about FW but there isn't any other way to get a sonund card to work in studio and live with much trouble, for PCI you end up in some avid that aren't that great for the price, I think something better could be get as external for the money.

As usual, thanks for feedback!

JS

Hey, did you make the build? Did you get the Cooler Master Seidon 240M and did it work? Thanks :)

In fact I did something like that, just stock cooler by now but I have my i7 4770k under clocked because I don't need much by now, when I can buy some nice cooler I will and take out the juice of it...

GA Z87X UD4H
i7 4770k
16GB kingston hiperX
128GB X110 sandisk
750GB 7200rpm barracuda seagate
cheap FW400 board
termaltek 850W PS and V3 enclosure

not much to add right now I think... using a focusrite liquid 56 as sound card.

JS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back