Contribute
Register

First Hacintosh Build. Will Snow Leopard Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1
CPU
Intel I-5 4690K
Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 200
Hi,

I am getting ready to build my first Hacintosh in the next couple of weeks. Ultimately it will end up being a dual boot system.
This is my current build:

CPU: I7-8700K
GPU: AMD Sapphire Vega 64
Motherboard: Asrock Taichi z370
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
RAM: 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3000 mhz

I don't have access oddly enough to a copy of Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave so I ended up purchasing a brand new, sealed copy of OS Snow Leopard as a way to get the system installed before immediately upgrading to at least High Sierra.

I'm now starting to worry whether or not this is going to work. Will this even install on my computer considering the components that I have? Are my parts past what the OS would even recognize as compatible with installation?

I figured that all I would need to do was use Iboot but I'm not entirely sure it will work. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am getting ready to build my first Hacintosh in the next couple of weeks. Ultimately it will end up being a dual boot system.

I don't have access oddly enough to a copy of Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave so I ended up purchasing a brand new, sealed copy of OS Snow Leopard as a way to get the system installed before immediately upgrading to at least High Sierra.

I'm now starting to worry whether or not this is going to work. Will this even install on my computer considering the components that I have? Are my parts past what the OS would even recognize as compatible with installation?

I figured that all I would need to do was use Iboot but I'm not entirely sure it will work. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

As someone that also has an 8th generation CPU and a Sapphire RX Vega 64, I highly recommend getting Mojave (10.14.1) and using 18,3 SMBIOS. I'm using it, and I've managed to get get native graphic power management without having to do anything other than just switching to 18,3 SMBIOS. :) My Vega 64 works like a charm, and I only had to undervolt it a bit.

-Kyle

Hi,

I am getting ready to build my first Hackintosh in the next couple of weeks. Ultimately it will end up being a dual boot system.

I figured that all I would need to do was use iBoot but I'm not entirely sure it will work. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

No, Snow Leopard is not going to work as it has no support for your hardware.

You will need to find someone with a real Mac or working hackintosh to download High Sierra or Mojave and make a bootable USB stick for use on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back