Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I got a G5 for cheap and I have been a huge fan of the case and the ATX mods for them for a long time. I have a plan drawn out (I can upload it later). I am going to mount the motherboard (ATX) in the lower part of the case and leave the original HDD and ODD mounts on the top shelf. Right now I am trying to decide if I should get the mountain mod back panel / motherboard tray or the one sold on thelaserhive. The mountain mod tray is about half the price so I am leaning towards buying that one, but is there any reason why I should buy the laser hive's kit instead?

So I got a G5 for cheap and I have been a huge fan of the case and the ATX mods for them for a long time. I have a plan drawn out (I can upload it later). I am going to mount the motherboard (ATX) in the lower part of the case and leave the original HDD and ODD mounts on the top shelf. Right now I am trying to decide if I should get the mountain mod back panel / motherboard tray or the one sold on thelaserhive. The mountain mod tray is about half the price so I am leaning towards buying that one, but is there any reason why I should buy the laser hive's kit instead?

Yes the LaserHive kits are designed for the G5 PM and the fit is nearly perfect IMHO.

The key here is deciding where to place the PSU and the Micro ATX or full ATX form factor.

I advise Micro ATX as this form factor leaves more configuration options.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good modding,
neil

Well I have looked over my options and it does look like the kit sold by LazerHive makes things a lot more simple as far as the motherboard install goes. My plan right now is to go with ATX because that is the board I have and I like the form better then mATX. I will put the internals of my power supply inside the G5's power supply shell like I have seen done in other posts. I will put the board from my supply at the front end of the shell (the end with the intake fans). The end of the power supply at the back of the case that goes where the motherboard should will be cut away partially on the motherboard side of the case to allow it to go around the motherboard. I have included a top down sketch under this along with a front on sketch to show how I plan to do it. Based on the measurements I have made, it should all fit just fine. I do however plan to make some cardboard templates of all my parts and use them for a mock test fit to make sure that it all goes like I want it to.

3o6AfNs.jpg

itMjffT.jpg

Also, the insert image button doesn't work but I got it to work by entering the code manually.

Yes the LaserHive kits are designed for the G5 PM and the fit is nearly perfect IMHO.

The key here is deciding where to place the PSU and the Micro ATX or full ATX form factor.

I advise Micro ATX as this form factor leaves more configuration options.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good modding,
neil

+1 for the Laser Hive kit and Micro ATX board but I would always opt for modding the existing PSU to ATX.

I am actually out of town visiting family until Wednesday next week. Once I get back I will get the mac torn apart (it still has its original components in it), and make some fake cardboard components to make sure everything will fit like I want it to. I will also make a new build log thread to post my progress on.

+1 for the Laser Hive kit and Micro ATX board but I would always opt for modding the existing PSU to ATX.

+1 also for the Laser Hive Kit especially the mATX kit and a mATX motherboard also.

before I was using an eATX motherboard in my G5 mod. after a few months I revised my G5 again and fit inside an Asus Maximus Viii Gene. I regret not doing it before costing me double for parts and shipping. only positive side is...if I want to go back to atx or eATX form factor I can since I already have the parts.

jtslector said:
I am actually out of town visiting family until Wednesday next week. Once I get back I will get the mac torn apart (it still has its original components in it), and make some fake cardboard components to make sure everything will fit like I want it to. I will also make a new build log thread to post my progress on..

cardboard is a good way to start your plan :D I also use it for planning especially if there's something to cut. goodluck on your modding and will follow your work :D

A motherboard tray is not necessary, but it can be nice. Lots of folks just epoxy standoffs for the motherboard.

Micro ATX is easy but the G5 is big enough to accommodate an ATX motherboard easily. You have to ask your self how much do you want to do yourself, how much do you want to spend and how much do you want to customize. The best kits come from Laser Hive. On the other hand you can fabricate your own from a donor PC case and raw materials. The G5 can be a blank canvas.

Some people are purists and want to keep everything stock. Some people recognize that computer tech is faster, better and ,most importantly, cooler than 10 years ago. For instance, you don't really need as many fans!

If you really want to go ATX, take a look at the Laser Hive ATX mod with the power supply at the top of the case. This type of setup is more logical than putting the power supply in the bottom of the case. I did this setup on my G5 with a ATX slots from an old case and a $6.00 piece of aluminium. Not as nice looking, but acceptable finish and great use of space.

Above all have fun and happy modding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back