Contribute
Register

First desktop hackintosh, a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7 3770k
Graphics
GTX 650
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've dabbled in hackintoshing back in the Tiger/Leopard era, but havent done much with it since early snow leopard. Even then, it was on a few old laptops I had, so compatibility wasnt exactly great. I've been wanting to build a future-proof hackintosh desktop for general purpose computing, light gaming and software development since my current Linux laptop is starting to show its age.

Here's what I'm considering:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU - Intel Core i7 3770k
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 2GB
Ram - 16gb (2x8gb) Corsair DDR3 1600mhz
SSD - Samsung 830 128GB
HD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
DVD - Sony Optaric 24x
Wifi - TP-Link TL-WDN4800
PSU - Corsair 650TX 650W
Case - Lian-Li PC70 (Already owned, from an older machine)
Monitors - 24" 1920x1080 HDMI + 19" 1440x900 VGA (Both already owned)

Most of the core components were from the Customac 2012 guide, so I'm sure it'll mostly work. But I had a few questions.

1) From real world use, how compatible is the graphics card? I've searched but only found one thread, with one post, that said it worked but wouldnt play video in itunes (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-mostly-other-than-itunes-video-playback.html).

What would cause iTunes playback to fail like that? I'm worried that whatever is causing problems for that will cause problems somewhere else. I was originally considering the GT 640 for this build, would that be the better option in spite of its inferior performance?

2) Is front panel audio working on this motherboard in Mountain Lion?

3) Is my power supply choice good enough to power this setup?

4) My case has a top mounted power supply, and I've noticed a lot of modern cases have it on the bottom. I figure this is for heat reasons, but would it make a big enough difference to be a concern?

5) Any other things you notice?

Sorry about 4 and 5 being more computer questions in general, its been a while since I've done anything with desktops.

As to question 1. I can't say from personal experience that it does work, but I do know that the 650M is the model that they used in the new macbook pros so I would not expect it's desktop counterpart to have issues with ML. In the link that you posted I think he is trying to keep HD4000 running while also using the 650. This MAY be the reason for his problem. I can't confirm that, but it's a possibility. Check out the original mention of the release of these cards: http://www.tonymacx86.com/211-nvidia-announces-budget-friendly-geforce-gtx-660-650.html

A few things:

I have that SSD, and it runs great. Also, it's super cheap right now! 128GB is more than enough for me with the OS and a few apps installed.

If you're planning on getting a CPU cooler at some point, make sure to get low profile RAM to avoid clearance issues. Also, get 1.5v sticks - I regret getting 1.65v because they aren't 100% reliable running at 1600mhz with turbo on.

PSU looks good.

I would +1 tmbck2's comment on the VGA monitor. I know from experience that they can be a nightmare with OSX. You almost definitely won't be able to use the VGA connector that's built into the card, but you may be able to get it working using an adapter. I looked at the connectors on the card and they're DVI-D, not DVI-I. DVI-D only transmits digital signals, so the probability of an adapter working is unlikely. Sorry, but you're probably SOL on the VGA monitor. That being said, you should definitely give it a try because those adapters are like a buck on ebay.

Also, I don't see why there would be any problems with the 650 but I'm no expert on the subject.

Top-mounted PSU should be totally fine. After all, my G5 mod will probably end up having one :p Same to front panel audio.

Thanks for all the replies!

I mainly went for the Samsung SSD because they seem to have a better track record for long term reliability. I figure space wont be an issue because I have the 1TB drive for all my files, the SSD is just for the OS and apps. My budget's already been broken a bit on this build, so unless I could save costs somewhere else I wont be going for a higher capacity one.

Hearing that OS X doesnt like VGA makes me really glad I made this thread, I would have spent a countless amount of time trying to figure out what I did wrong. Its not a deal breaker if I cant make it work, but I'm switching to an EVGA version of the GTX 650 since it does have a DVI-I connector on it. Hopefully an adapter will make it play nice. Failing that, the monitor does have an HDMI port, but its pretty finicky on which resolutions it likes so VGA would be preferred.

I'm still concerned about the 650's compatibility, but otherwise I'm feeling a lot more confident about this build. I'll be ordering the parts in a few days and risk the incompatibility unless someone posts about issues before then. Again, thanks to everyone who posted!

I wouldn't worry too much about the 650 - it should be fine. Good idea with the EVGA version. I'd put a lot more money on it working with the DVI-I. All I can say about the SSD is that mine works GREAT. (I have the exact same one.) You can also save a few bucks by avoiding the Desktop Upgrade Kit and (assuming your case doesn't have 2.5in bays) get this adapter and use the SATA cables that come with the mobo.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 650 - it should be fine. Good idea with the EVGA version. I'd put a lot more money on it working with the DVI-I. All I can say about the SSD is that mine works GREAT. (I have the exact same one.) You can also save a few bucks by avoiding the Desktop Upgrade Kit and (assuming your case doesn't have 2.5in bays) get this adapter and use the SATA cables that come with the mobo.

Personally I prefer this adapter - http://www.amazon.com/WDSL00S-IcePack-Drive-Mounting-Heatsink/dp/B008L5TQIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348275312&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+icepack

Might cost a little more but it is adapter and heatsink in one unit. The sata connector is offset from that on the drive so it fits in a standard 3.5" hotswap drive bay. And yes, it works with the Mac Pro. The 2.5" SATA to the 3.5" SATA connector is a straight pass thru connection - no circuit board.

I could be wrong because I haven't used a VGA cable for like 10 years, but I THINK that the vga might work on the cards. I know for a fact it does NOT work with onboard graphics, but I know I have read that VGA works with other cards. That may have been something to do with the OS though and may not be something that works with ML. Again I'm not positive on that so don't quote me, but before you go buy an adapter give it a shot.

I could be wrong because I haven't used a VGA cable for like 10 years, but I THINK that the vga might work on the cards. I know for a fact it does NOT work with onboard graphics, but I know I have read that VGA works with other cards. That may have been something to do with the OS though and may not be something that works with ML. Again I'm not positive on that so don't quote me, but before you go buy an adapter give it a shot.

If that's true, it's very interesting. Testers please?

Personally I prefer this adapter - http://www.amazon.com/WDSL00S-IcePac...rds=wd+icepack

Might cost a little more but it is adapter and heatsink in one unit. The sata connector is offset from that on the drive so it fits in a standard 3.5" hotswap drive bay. And yes, it works with the Mac Pro. The 2.5" SATA to the 3.5" SATA connector is a straight pass thru connection - no circuit board.

Sounds cool. I have a case fan right in front of my drives so I'm fine with the passive cooling. If you're a hotswapper, that seems like it's definitely the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back