Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey all!

I am currently in the first stages of my first build. I'm interested in building a computer that will be used for recording and mixing music, mostly on pro tools. After researching this website and other resources I made a first draft for the computer I would like to build -

Gigabye Z390 Designare
Intel core i7-9700k 3.6ghz
Noctua NH d15
Ballistix sport LT memory stick (16X2, with the thought of maybe expanding)
Corsair cx750m psu
Samsung EU 860 evo SSD 1 TB
Seagate Barracude 1TB
Crosair 300r Case
TP-link archer ac1900 PCI-e adapter

I'm guessing this is all pretty straight forward stuff- I gathered it from the buyers guide and a post in the golden builds forum (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/).

here are my questions-

1) Is it necessary to have a gpu that isn't the one on the motherboard? the main use of the computer will be for audio, and I'm not quite sure how important it is to have a video card. also I would like to put the PCI-E wifi adapter (since in the post above it is mentioned that the Motherboard wifi is not supported by mojave) and maybe on day add a native pro tools PCI-e card, It would be nice to save room for it.

2) if not, are there any recommendations for the most basic video card that would still fit everything else?

3) The build this is based on went to Mojave, but that caused the whole wifi issue. Is it an option to just start with high sierra? or is a whole different story and I should rethink this whole thing?

Last but not least, any other piece of information or advice would be very appreciated. this is all very exciting and overwhelming, and the thought of being able to have an amazing machine makes me very happy, and I certainly wish this will all go as smoothly as possible. So far, just from reading the posts and information in this website I learned boatloads of new things

Thanks!

Ido

Ido, I don't think you will need a separate graphics card.
Go to the TonyMac Buyer's Guide page and scroll down to CustoMac Mini where it says: "The CustoMac Mini is a bare-bones CustoMac in a shoebox sized case featuring a Z390 mini-iTX motherboard plus a Coffee Lake CPU and no graphics card."

I use my builds mostly for Photoshop work on large files, sometimes they're 1 or 2GB in size. I have never needed a separate graphics card for my work.
One thing that was a problem for me was adding a second display, my last 2 TonyMac builds worked with the Intel onboard graphics and one monitor. On the first build I decided to setup dual displays and I had to add a cheap video card. Even though the mobo had several monitor connections, I could not get more than one to work at a time, adding the video card solved that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back