2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My questions pertain to my first build. Hopefully this is the right forum:

1. I have purchased 2 x Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Low Profile PC3-12800 1600mHz 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit CML8GX3M2A1600C9W - White. When I have read about installation of Lion, some sources say only use 4 gb initially. True or false? Also, do I set the voltage to 1.3 or 1.5v?
2. I purchased GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card GV-R685OC-1GD as my video card. Some installations suggest setting up everything first without the card plugged in. True or false? And if I do this, will I have to change Bios settings or Multibeast later?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1. I installed Snow Leopard and then Lion with all 16GB installed and it wasn't an issue (I didn't fancy having to remove and reseat the cooler, so tried it). According to a post I read, iBoot only recognises the first 4GB. My BIOS was already set to AUTO on the RAM voltage and detected the correct 1.5V - not sure if you'd need/want to change this for your RAM.

2. Don't know. Sorry.

Thanks for your response, that helps. I was going to use UniBeast to install Lion, so does this situation apply here as well, to remove all but 4 GB of the ram. Thanks again.

I plan on using UniBeast to install Lion as well, and I was wondering the same thing. Also, if there was anything else that I should hold off on installing until after I get the OS up and running.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but here's the build I'll be working on, once all the parts come in:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - I might overclock it a bit, but I don't want to raise temps too much, since my case isn't that big and I don't want a lot of fan noise
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600MHz PC3-12800
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X - I don't need a fancy video card, and I wanted one that didn't seem too hard to get working according to the wiki database
PSU: Seasonic X-650
Optical: Sony Optiarc
Storage: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, a bunch of old WD Caviar Black HDs - I'll move to SSD eventually, but I'm running out of HD space ATM
NIC: Sonnet Presto Gigabit Pro PCI Express - must have a solid Ethernet connection
FireWire: Syba Low Profile FW800/400 PCI Express
Case: Lian Li PC-V600FA - a faux Mac Pro. The case has its issues, but it's pretty much the only case I could find in stock that I could stand to look at (Newegg stopped carrying the bigger Lian Li PC-V1020A just before I decided to pull the trigger on a Hackintosh :x ). Too bad case makers can't hire world-class designers like Apple. As soon as I can get my G5 case modded, or I feel confident enough to do it myself (zero experience with power tools), I'm ditching the Lian Li.

Aside from general-purpose use, this computer will be used to run Photoshop, Logic Studio, Reason, and Sibelius as far as "major" apps go, as well as standalone versions of various virtual instruments (Ivory and some Native Instruments stuff). I don't use my computer for video editing or games, unless you count Solarian II, which won't run on Intel. :( So I have no need for a better video card.

This computer is kind of an experiment for me. I really need a new machine, since I'm still using a 7-year-old G5, but I can't spare the money for a Mac Pro, and none of Apple's other offerings suit my wants/needs. If I can get a stable build going, I might stick with Hackintosh for longer - the significantly lower upgrade cost is very appealing. Otherwise, I'll probably buy a proper Mac Pro in a couple of years, as soon as I can afford one.

mrkooks:

I was wondering how your build went? I am contemplating my first hackintosh build and like what you have chosen for your components.

P.S. My apologies to brimcan for any unwanted hijacking of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back