Contribute
Register

First Build - Send Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've been a long time user of macOS and I'm currently using a 2009 MacBook Pro that's, surprisingly, still alive and kicking. However, I thought it was time to upgrade my computing capabilities so I turned to the new line of MacBook Pro's - then quickly turned away after a glance at the pricing. Since I've long wanted to get into gaming, a Hackintosh seems to be the solution.

This will be my first PC build so I figured I would make a post for some advice in hopes that I don't obliterate what I buy. My goal for this build is a decent computer capable of running various engineering programs (which shouldn't be too intensive) and pushing decent frame rates from current games like Overwatch, Battlefield 1, Witcher 3, etc. I'm not looking to run Ultra settings at crazy resolutions - just for games to be playable and output decent FPS. Additionally I'm looking to remain below $1000.

My current plan is build a computer very similar to the CustoMac Budget ATX on the Buyer's Guide for January. The following are the parts I'll be using with some questions imbedded along the way:

Motherboard: Both Gigabyte Motherboards look like they will meet my needs, but is there anything that largely separates them?

Processor: Core i5 6500 - I don't think it's worth it for me to get an over-clockable CPU at this time so I believe the 6500 is the best choice. It should be compatible, right?

RAM: 16 GB

Storage: 2 SSDs and possibly a HD at a later point

Graphics Card: My current plan is to put macOS and Windows 10 each on a separate SSD. Therefore, I was thinking I would just buy a decent graphics card not necessarily compatible with macOS as the only time I will really need it will be for gaming (which will be done on Windows). I was looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, any recommendations?

Power Supply: The recommended Corsair CS Series 550 Watt

That's the current plan. Any recommendations or warnings for these parts and a first time builder would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello PlexusZ,
I can try to answer a few of your questions.
Motherboard: The large difference is that Z170 can be Overclocked. If you are getting an Intel i5-6500 and do not have any intentions on upgrading to a "K" chip to Overclock then I would go with the H170. But if you do plan to upgrade in the future then go with a Z170.
Processor: The Intel i5-6500 is compatable. Yes, if your not Overclocking then its not worth it.

RAM, PS, and Storage: All looks good. Just make sure the RAM is compatible with your Motherboard.

Graphics Card: Now this one is a bit iffy. I am not entirely sure how you can Dual Boot with Intergrated Graphics for OS X and the 1060 for Windows. Hope someone can chime in or you can do searches on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back