Contribute
Register

First Build-Help With Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K, 16GB Corsair Vengenace, GA-Z68MA-D2h-B3, EVGA GTX 650 2GB SC, Lian Li PC-V353
CPU
3.4GHz i5 2500K
Graphics
HD 3000, EVGA GTX 650 2GB SC
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,
This is my first build and I am looking to build a powerful non-gaming intensive machine.
I have my eyes set on a Lian Li PC-V353 Case and I need to find a Micro ATX board. I want to see if its possible to run 10.6 system instead of the newer versions of OS X if at all possible. I am trying to have a pain free build as possible.

For a mobo, I am looking for a compatible Micro ATX with 2 PCI slots (1 for graphics, 1 for firewire card), 4 RAM DIMM slots (preferable 32GB max). Are all the models on the Database the ONLY compatible models? (ie is the Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H LGA 1155 supported?).

Also, does Snow Leopard support USB 3.0 ports and Ivy Bridge processors or am I restricted to Sandy Bridge chips?

Thanks for the help!

Last year's Sandy Bridge Z68 motherboards and processors are your best bet for Snow Leopard. The good news is that will be able to run Lion and Mountain Lion as well. Your problem is that you'll have problems finding a mATX motherboard still in the retail market.

Take a look at tonymacx86's Sandy Bridge Buyers Guide: Building a Sandy Bridge CustoMac: Buyer's Guide (Nov11)

Also look in the Golden Builds and User Builds forum sections to see Forum members build descriptions to get ideas.

Thanks for the help!
Was looking around in my local store and the only board that is compatible is the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 and it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. They also have the Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3.

-Is this board compatible? Its not in the database but I read here on the forum that it doesn't need a DSDT. Is that true?

-Can it take a Sandy Bridge chip and 10.6, or can it only take the latest gen chips and OS?

Thanks

Hi all,
This is my first build and I am looking to build a powerful non-gaming intensive machine.
I have my eyes set on a Lian Li PC-V353 Case and I need to find a Micro ATX board. I want to see if its possible to run 10.6 system instead of the newer versions of OS X if at all possible. I am trying to have a pain free build as possible.

For a mobo, I am looking for a compatible Micro ATX with 2 PCI slots (1 for graphics, 1 for firewire card), 4 RAM DIMM slots (preferable 32GB max). Are all the models on the Database the ONLY compatible models? (ie is the Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H LGA 1155 supported?).

Also, does Snow Leopard support USB 3.0 ports and Ivy Bridge processors or am I restricted to Sandy Bridge chips?

Thanks for the help!

Snow Leopard does not support USB 3 natively and does not support Ivy Bridge processors. You must use a Sandy Bridge chip if you want to run Snow Leopard.

As mentioned by Stork it is best to use a Z68 motherboard together with a Sandy Bridge CPU to run Snow Leopard. I use a Xeon E3-1230 (replacing a Core i5 2405S) with a Gigabyte Z68 motherboard and it runs Snow Leopard / Lion / Mountain Lion fine.

I remember having seen a post stating that it is possible to run Snow Leopard using a Z77 motherboard with a Sandy Bridge CPU. But I can't find it now. As to the G1.Sniper M3 motherboard you mentioned, it is a Z77 and should support using a Sandy Bridge CPU, and so it may be possible to run Snow Leopard on it. But you should note that at least the audio on that motherboard is not supported and you may need a USB audio device if you want audio.

Snow Leopard does not support USB 3 natively and does not support Ivy Bridge processors. You must use a Sandy Bridge chip if you want to run Snow Leopard.

As mentioned by Stork it is best to use a Z68 motherboard together with a Sandy Bridge CPU to run Snow Leopard. I use a Xeon E3-1230 (replacing a Core i5 2405S) with a Gigabyte Z68 motherboard and it runs Snow Leopard / Lion / Mountain Lion fine.

I remember having seen a post stating that it is possible to run Snow Leopard using a Z77 motherboard with a Sandy Bridge CPU. But I can't find it now. As to the G1.Sniper M3 motherboard you mentioned, it is a Z77 and should support using a Sandy Bridge CPU, and so it may be possible to run Snow Leopard on it. But you should note that at least the audio on that motherboard is not supported and you may need a USB audio device if you want audio.

Okay, I was just looking at my options. So my best option is to just to grab a Z68 board. I've read so not so shining reviews of the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 so I guess I'll have to risk it.

-So what you are saying that in Snow Leopard USB 3.0 is non-functional or is there any way for it to work?

-Can eSATA be hooked up to the case with the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3? I don't see a socket on it.

Okay, I was just looking at my options. So my best option is to just to grab a Z68 board. I've read so not so shining reviews of the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 so I guess I'll have to risk it.

-So what you are saying that in Snow Leopard USB 3.0 is non-functional or is there any way for it to work?

-Can eSATA be hooked up to the case with the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3? I don't see a socket on it.

In the Snow Leopard version of MultiBeast there is an option to install a NEC/Renasus USB 3.0 driver, but since the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 does not use a NEC/Renasus USB 3 chip that option probably won't work. So yes, I don't think USB 3 is functional in Snow Leopard.

The GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 does not have eSATA so I don't think it will work.

Okay, just to double check here is my parts list:

Case: Lian Li PC-V353
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Graphics: nVidia GTS 450
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600mHz Corsair Vengeance
HDD: Probably SSD+Hard Drive combo, any SSD brand suggestions?
PSU: Corsair TX650M

Any changes or should all be good?

Please clear away the GTS 450 well away... rubbish.:lol:

Hah, okay are there any compatible graphics cards around $100 that are okay for light gaming (TF2) and are under 300mm long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back