Contribute
Register

First Build - Hack Pro - Audio Prod/Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,
Looking for some good advice for my new build. I will mainly be using if functionally for Logic Pro and Photoshop, however it will see some time as a flight sim as well. It seems like all this hardware should be compatible but if anybody has any experience they would like to share I'm all ears!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($274.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($205.64 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1417.58

Definitely cheaper than a similar Mac Pro, and I feel like it'll be pretty future proof as well. I have done the software side of the hackintoshes on old laptops before, but from what I understand, things have gotten easier over the years.

In order of importance: CPU performance, Graphic performance, Quietness (for audio recording), sexyness.

So... what are your thoughts? Will this setup provide what I need?

I'm going to built a new config with approx the same parts. I'm looking since a few weeks and it seems that your config will work great.
Maybe you will have some issues with the h100i who have some sleep problems and who needs to be configured in Windows (corsair link). If you need silence, maybe an air cooling like a noctua will be quiter.

Hey Guys,
Looking for some good advice for my new build. I will mainly be using if functionally for Logic Pro and Photoshop, however it will see some time as a flight sim as well. It seems like all this hardware should be compatible but if anybody has any experience they would like to share I'm all ears!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($274.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($205.64 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1417.58

Definitely cheaper than a similar Mac Pro, and I feel like it'll be pretty future proof as well. I have done the software side of the hackintoshes on old laptops before, but from what I understand, things have gotten easier over the years.

In order of importance: CPU performance, Graphic performance, Quietness (for audio recording), sexyness.

So... what are your thoughts? Will this setup provide what I need?
I'm about to pull the trigger a similar build, and I realize I'm late to the party.

If you can hold off on buying a video card for a while, the 480 is supposed to be supported in macOS Sierra, and it looks like the $250 8GB version will crush the $270 GTX 970. Plus, tack on the 20% penalty that nVidia's drivers have under Mac OS, and you have a card that will be significantly faster (roughly 140-150% as fast) for less. But, that's 100% dependent on whether or not the 480 will work on Mac OS. We'll find out on Thursday.

That said, the GTX 970 is fully supported in Mac OS. I have one. It was very, very easy to get working, though it did need some massaging to get HDMI and such working. DVI worked instantly, though, which was great.

Also, that Enthoo case is gorgeous. Stunning. Normally, I would recommend a Fractal Design R4/R5 instead, but sexiness is one of your criteria. Is it worth 3x as much? .... Probably.

Finally, I've never used that Corsair PSU, but the EVGA G2 Eco (available in 650W) is supposed to silent (ie, no fans) until 50% load. So as long as the video card isn't doing anything, it will be silent. The Corsair may do the same.

I'm not an expert, but I've asked around and we seem to have the same goals. Please let me know how that build goes! And dammit... now I'm considering getting that Enthoo case!

Do it bro! The evolv is worth every penny. So far I've purchased it, and corsair H115i, and a corsair RM750x. The corsair PSUs do work similarly to that EVGA you mentioned. I think I have however switched to the Gigabyte UD5-TH. I saw a video with it in the evolv case and just looked stunning.

Is there any word on the 480's compatibility?

Since you asked.... I'm no lover of Qualcomm Killer NICs. I will never own a mobo with a Killer NIC on it. (There, I said it.) Intel, definitely. (Same goes for the CPU: AMD, never.)

After W10 came out there were no drivers for it. They have been known to cause instability in WIN OSes. Now there's the problem of memory leaks and filling up HDDs:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...memory+leaks&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Supposedly even Win 8.x had the same problem. Basically, the fix is just to install the .inf driver and don't bother installing their network suite.

I always suggest that one install the max RAM possible. It saves you the trouble of upgrading later, or upgrading many times. And if this article is right Steam will eat up all the memory on the system, regardless:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/discussions/0/494631967653425307/ Hopefully that little problem has been fixed.

I don't know if there's any problems with OSX, though. But since I use OSX, Windows and Linux, I only want Intel NICs.

So, besides the mobo and the RAM, everything looks good. I won't bother trying to dissuade you from water cooling; I only do Noctua heatsinks and Noctua fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back