Contribute
Register

First Build: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I'm normally reluctant to post on any forum asking for advice when already solid advice is just a click a way; however, since this advice could potentially end up costing me a lot of money, I definitely need some reassurance. I only wish someone advised me about this forum before I threw my money out on a Macbook Pro.

I'm in a tight situation here--my 2 year old MBP's logic board is being completely illogical and only booting on the days it feels like booting. Needless to say, I can either shell out the cash for a new logic board for something that is apparently made out of glass, or I finally build myself a new Hackintosh.

Right now my first build is looking like:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P
Processor: Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz

As far as video and case I have a few questions. I know that everyone says you should buy all of your parts at one time, however, being a college student, money is obviously an issue right now. I have a really old ATI Radeon 300 128MB video card from an old dell that I'd like to put in just temporarily until I can afford something insane (a GTX 460 maybe). It's PCI-E so it looks like it'll fit but I'm not really sure.

I was also wondering if somebody could recommend something cheaper than a Antec Sonata III/500 power supply for a case? I assume this kind of build requires a 500 watt power supply? I was thinking of maybe using a Sonata II but it looks like I'd have to buy a separate power supply then.

I hate to be picky trying to cut costs and everything. I know that, when it comes to computers, you pretty much get what you pay for. My situation kind of calls for something that will be upgradeable and somewhat future proof (if such a thing exists). I'd eventually be running this system for Audio Engineering/Sound Editing (the software being the reason I bought a Mac in the first place) and gaming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to do my homework on this but I just can't decide for myself whether or not this is a bad idea.

Thanks for any tips!

EDIT:

I decided that for my situation/budget, an i7 really wouldn't be worth it. Instead, I'm leaning more towards an AMD build:

Mobo: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955BE

I'm looking at the XFX Radeon HD 6870 graphics card for a future upgrade. I figured I might as well get the Sonata III case so it'll fit future mobo upgrades and whatnot. As far as I looked, all of this hardware is compatible with osx86, but I just want to double check and see if anyone has anything I should know about.

AMD isn't supported by iBoot and MultiBeast, and the 6870 GPU currently isn't supported either. Who knows when or if it will ever be supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back