I5-6500
Graphics
GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

This is my first build, ever. I have a mid-2012 retina MBP and the battery will need replacing soon. It is hard for me to go a few days without a computer so I am not considering building a hackintosh.

I am interested in staying with the i7 processor because my daily driver uses the i7. I do not think I need the i7-6700k because I will not do any over clocking. I may not even need the i7?:crazy::?:

Right now, I would stick with the integrated graphics and maybe upgrade to a discrete GPU later.

All of the hardware was found on the buyer's guide.

Motherboard: GA-H170N-WIFI $114
RAM: Crucial Budget 16gb $72
CPU: i7-6700 $298
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 2x$91=$182
PSU: Corsair CS 550 $80
WiFi/BT: BCM94360CD with adapter $60
Case: BitFenix Phenom $75

Total: $881

Since this is my first build, I really don't know if there is anything else I need. So, do I need anything else, like cables for connecting the SSDs?

Could I bring the price down?

Will the integrated graphics allow for dual display?

Thanks for the help!

The SSD sata cables come in the motherboard package. You'll have plenty.
If you won't be doing things like FCP X video editing you could save some cash by
going with the i5-6500. Saves you about $100. The 6500 will be almost as good as
the i7 for gaming and general purpose use.

The SSD sata cables come in the motherboard package. You'll have plenty.
If you won't be doing things like FCP X video editing you could save some cash by
going with the i5-6500. Saves you about $100. The 6500 will be almost as good as
the i7 for gaming and general purpose use.

Thank you. It has been over 4 years, I think, since I've done any FCP work so the 6500 will probably be fine.

CPU: i5-6500 $205
PSU: Corsair CS 550 $80-$10 rebate=$70

Updated total $778

Thanks for the help. Here is where the build stands now.

Motherboard: GA-H170N-WIFI $114
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB $60
CPU: i5-6500 $205
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 2x$91=$182
PSU: Corsair CS 550 $80-$10 rebate=$70
Case: BitFenix Phenom $75
WiFi/BT: total $70
Input devices: Wired Keyboard $31

Already own: Magic Mouse

Total about $806

$25 off at Newegg if you use Paypal and PP2016BTS

Bringing it down to $781:eek:

Should I, am I ready to, take the plunge? :?:

I'm pretty sure the H170N-Wifi comes with two antennas that you could use. Other than that looks like you could place the order to get things going. That Paypal $25 off won't last forever. Certainly not until August 1st.

I'm pretty sure the H170N-Wifi comes with two antennas that you could use. Other than that looks like you could place the order to get things going. That Paypal $25 off won't last forever. Certainly not until August 1st.

Right. The BCM94360CD has 4 antennas so I need two more. And the extra cables come from @Stork 's suggestion from #37

Right. The BCM94360CD has 4 antennas so I need two more. And the extra cables come from @Stork 's suggestion from #37
That should be fine then. Didn't remember the BT part of the equation.
Last Mini-ITX board I bought was Ivy Bridge and that combo card was not an option then.

That should be fine then. Didn't remember the BT part of the equation.
Last Mini-ITX board I bought was Ivy Bridge and that combo card was not an option then.

Thanks for the help! I just placed my orders and got the $25 off though paypal. The WiFi stuff may take a while to come in because of a lot if it is coming from China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back