Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900KF
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hi All

I'm embarking on my first build and in the interest of doing things properly I wanted to ask if you could look over my proposed components and offer any experience or thoughts. The build is almost solely for the purpose of music production, some way between an iMac Pro and Mac Pro. Please keep this in mind. It also seems like an interesting time for a build with Big Sur and Apple transitioning to their own processors so I would also appreciate some thoughts in terms of the longevity of this build. Many thanks in advance.

As follows:

Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0GHz Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W (BX806849900K)​
I'm not sure what the differences are between the various i9 processors, subtle or otherwise?

Hi All

I'm embarking on my first build and in the interest of doing things properly I wanted to ask if you could look over my proposed components and offer any experience or thoughts. The build is almost solely for the purpose of music production, some way between an iMac Pro and Mac Pro. Please keep this in mind. It also seems like an interesting time for a build with Big Sur and Apple transitioning to their own processors so I would also appreciate some thoughts in terms of the longevity of this build. Many thanks in advance.

As follows:

Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0GHz Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W (BX806849900K)​
I'm not sure what the differences are between the various i9 processors, subtle or otherwise?

i9 9900F -- Not overclockable, no CPU integrated graphics
i9 9900 -- Not overclockable, has CPU integrated graphics
i9 9900KF -- Overclockable, no CPU integrated graphics
i9 9900K -- Overclockable, has CPU integrated graphics

Your build should be compatible with MacOS Catalina and Big Sur (because of the RX 5700 XT).

No SSD? macOS runs very slowly on an HDD.

Hi All

As follows:

You will have several years of OS support AFTER apple transitions their pro machines to apple silicon, which will probably be at least a couple of years. No reason to not build one now.

i9 9900F -- Not overclockable, no CPU integrated graphics
i9 9900 -- Not overclockable, has CPU integrated graphics
i9 9900KF -- Overclockable, no CPU integrated graphics
i9 9900K -- Overclockable, has CPU integrated graphics

Your build should be compatible with MacOS Catalina and Big Sur (because of the RX 5700 XT).
Brilliant, thanks for the explanation. Would you recommend any changes to the build for longevity?

Brilliant, thanks for the explanation. Would you recommend any changes to the build for longevity?
No changes are necessary. Unless the hardware breaks down, you should have at least several years of future MacOS support for your system.

That's helpful to know, thank you. I had planned to run sample libraries from and external SSD and OS on HDD. Can you recommend a particular SSD?
Strongly recommend using an SSD for your system no matter what you want to use. Even a crappy SSD would run snappier than any HDD.

I've seen 120 GB SSDs, even name brands like PNY, on sale for $18 to $19. At least use one as a boot drive and then a mechanical drive for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back