Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dudes!!

After much consideration I've decided that I want to move to a Hackintosh for my main computer, however I just wanted make sure that the parts seem compatible and that my interface along with my DAWs and plugins will also be compatible and any snags I should expect to see.

So first the Build:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H55 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: Crucial - MX300 275 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB FTW+ DT GAMING Video Card

Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Case Fan: Corsair - ML120 Pro 75 CFM 120mm Fan

I've used this guide and part picker to put this together and it seems to all be in check, I wish to Dual boot both windows 10 and hopefully High Sierra or Mojave off of this system using the two SSD's for operating systems, reasons for this is that I have years worth of projects using Logic Pro X, to switch DAW's would be a pain and I'm also incredibly used to OSX for productivity, and I wanna use the windows side for mainly gaming and some production. Along with this I also want to time machine my current mac straight onto this hackintosh build is that do-able or will I have to clean install everything?

The next thing is my interface, I currently own and use a Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, it's fairly stable on my early 2013 iMac running High Sierra with compatabillity issues coming mainly from presonus themselves, I want to make sure that my interface will work with this setup, it's USB and as a student I don't have that much money to by another interface.

I'm using the latest versions of Logic Pro X and Pro Tools, and using mostly plugins from Waves, Toontrack, Slate Digital ect, So I need to know that my Ilok 2 is going to work on both windows and mac sides.

Other than this I am currently shitting myself a little, thinking about sinking a grand into a hackintosh when it might not work fully how my mac works, especially when I run my business off of it, I'm not the most technically proficient guy and really want this build to work, any words of advice from others out there??

Many thanks
Ryan

Any luck with this system? I am just curious if it works!

Any luck with this system? I am just curious if it works!

Hey man it works perfectly! and with almost effortless install!

Some changes to the parts list however,

Ended up with

Asus Maximus X Hero Wifi
Intel i5 8600k LGA1151
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8Gb(I think)
Nvidia 1060 6GB
2X Samsung 500GB SSDs
2tb Seagate HDD

Corsair Crystal 460X
Corsair H55 CPU cooler
TP Link 1900

Works perfect with interfaces, WiFi and Ethernet work. I just need to get a Bluetooth dongle to get the Bluetooth working. I tried to get the motherboard audio working but had a some issues due to ASUS' audio chip. It is fixable but I don't really use onboard audio, as I use audio interfaces all the time so there wasn't much point in fixing it. The install was smooth plenty of guides out there. The Windows side works perfectly, and I'm running Doom and Wolfenstein on ultra settings comfortable at 60 frames, bottle necked by my monitor. Highly recommend this Motherboard; it's highly expandable and works rather well. All in all, it's a really solid setup so far. I've been using it intensely since I finished building it on the 23rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dudes!!

After much consideration I've decided that I want to move to a Hackintosh for my main computer, however I just wanted make sure that the parts seem compatible and that my interface along with my DAWs and plugins will also be compatible and any snags I should expect to see.

So first the Build:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H55 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB FTW+ DT GAMING Video Card

Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Case Fan: Corsair - ML120 Pro 75 CFM 120mm Fan

I've used this guide and part picker to put this together and it seems to all be in check, I wish to Dual boot both windows 10 and hopefully High Sierra or Mojave off of this system using the two SSD's for operating systems, reasons for this is that I have years worth of projects using Logic Pro X, to switch DAW's would be a pain and I'm also incredibly used to OSX for productivity, and I wanna use the windows side for mainly gaming and some production. Along with this I also want to time machine my current mac straight onto this hackintosh build is that do-able or will I have to clean install everything?

The next thing is my interface, I currently own and use a Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, it's fairly stable on my early 2013 iMac running High Sierra with compatabillity issues coming mainly from presonus themselves, I want to make sure that my interface will work with this setup, it's USB and as a student I don't have that much money to by another interface.

I'm using the latest versions of Logic Pro X and Pro Tools, and using mostly plugins from Waves, Toontrack, Slate Digital ect, So I need to know that my Ilok 2 is going to work on both windows and mac sides.

Other than this I am currently shitting myself a little, thinking about sinking a grand into a hackintosh when it might not work fully how my mac works, especially when I run my business off of it, I'm not the most technically proficient guy and really want this build to work, any words of advice from others out there??

Many thanks
Ryan

I am in your situation right now. Do you use just one screen? I am interested in using 2-3 screens.

I am in your situation right now. Do you use just one screen? I am interested in using 2-3 screens.

It's working perfectly my dude! With the GTX1060 I have the option to use 4 displays, as it's got 3 DP outputs and a HDMI output

Thanks! I am planning to start building mine this week, but I think I will use a Radeon RX 580 Nitro Plus 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back