1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Would love some thoughts on my system before I finish buying:

i7-8700k
GTX 1080Ti PNY Blower
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Wifi
EVGA G3 850
32gb (2x16gb) Ballistix Sport LT 2400 (white)
Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card (later)
Samsung 500gb 860EVO SATA SSD (OS)
Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm (scratch)
Cryorig H7 CPU Cooler
Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower (not attached)

I would love to run Sierra 10.12 with this build. Want great performance for 4k video editing (Adobe CC Suite and Final Cut 7), coloring (Resolve), and DIT workstation tools (LiveGrade, Silverstack).

Don't care about wifi. Picked this mobo, hoping it would make it easier to install the Thunderbolt 3 card than an Asus.

Big power supply so I can add another 32 gb of RAM, more SSD or HDD, and possibly a second 1080ti later on. Might get water cooling later on.

Thank you for your advice!

(Btw, Can you link more than four links in a post?)

Last edited:
I would love to run Sierra with this build.

Do you mean High Sierra ? If you want an i7-8700K and Z370 system it's best to go with High Sierra and not Sierra.

No, Sierra 10.12. I don't want APFS. I have several apps I need to run on the old Mac OS Journaled, such as FC7. As odd as it sounds, I need FC7 for a few projects a year for a specific camera.

Unless, people have been able to get FC7 to run on High Sierra. I've haven't heard anyone who's succeeded. Also, I stay away from the latest updates to OSes and software, until bugs are worked out (i.e., still running Yosemite on my MBP). I don't want to be running High Sierra right now and am looking at running Adobe at least one generation lower than the latest version. In my experience, those always run better than the new ones.

Last edited:
Do you mean High Sierra ? If you want an i7-8700K and Z370 system it's best to go with High Sierra and not Sierra.

If you're just saying I'll get better performance out of 10.13 than 10.12 and I can add more hard drives and do a triple bootable with this system (High Sierra, Sierra, and Windows 10) as long as I'm able to get into 10.12 at some point and use FC7 and then switch over back to 10.13 for the better performance, I'd be happy with that.

But if you're saying z370 doesn't work with 10.12 at all, I'd love to have that confirmed. I thought anything Intel was ok with everything above MacOS 10.6, but am a newbie, so would love the advice.

Thank you!

As I don't own an 8700K I've never tried faking the CPUID of the 7700K to run Sierra on Z370. I've seen a few people who've mentioned trying that but haven't stated much else about their experience. So if you really must have Sierra and FC7 you may be better off with a 7700K Z270 system instead. 99.9% of people in this community use High Sierra with their 8700k so that's what you'll find the most info on. Anything older than Sierra of course, will have no support for a Z370 system.

The biggest advantage of HS 10.13.4 + is the ability to use the newest Radeon cards that are natively supported. That is what you really want for FCP X performance. That's why everyone has been switching to AMD cards in their Z370 builds.

As I don't own an 8700K I've never tried faking the CPUID of the 7700K to run Sierra on Z370. I've seen a few people who've mentioned trying that but haven't stated much else about their experience. So if you really must have Sierra and FC7 you may be better off with a 7700K Z270 system instead. 99.9% of people in this community use High Sierra with their 8700k so that's what you'll find the most info on. Anything older than Sierra of course, will have no support for a Z370 system.

Ok, thank you for the very helpful info.

If I was to go ahead with this system for High Sierra, does it look like everything would play nicely?

If I was to go ahead with this system for High Sierra, does it look like everything would play nicely?

It all looks good for HS. The big question mark is will Nvidia write drivers for macOS Mojave and newer versions of macOS in the future. They may not. That leaves hackintosh owners using Nvidia graphics out in the cold over the longer term. No drivers means no 1080 Ti usage with Mojave or later versions.

If you're just saying I'll get better performance out of 10.13 than 10.12 and I can add more hard drives and do a triple bootable with this system (High Sierra, Sierra, and Windows 10) as long as I'm able to get into 10.12 at some point and use FC7 and then switch over back to 10.13 for the better performance, I'd be happy with that.

But if you're saying z370 doesn't work with 10.12 at all, I'd love to have that confirmed. I thought anything Intel was ok with everything above MacOS 10.6, but am a newbie, so would love the advice.

Thank you!

I use a 7700K and Z270 motherboard and I am able to run Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra 10.13.6. It is not difficult to setup dual booting different versions of MacOS on the same system (basically just partition your drive to have more than 1 partition and install each OS to different partitions, or install each OS to different drives). Previously when I am using an older GTX 760 graphics card I am also able to run El Capitan (via FakeCPUID) on the system. My current RX 580 is not supported in El Capitan so I now run Sierra and High Sierra only.

Newer hardware requires newer versions of MacOS, in general.

6th generation Intel CPUs and motherboards require El Capitan 10.11.4 or later.
7th generation Intel CPUs and motherboards require Sierra 10.12.6 or later, but can also run El Capitan 10.11.6 via FakeCPUID and a supported GPU.
8th generation Intel CPUs and motherboards require High Sierra or later. I heard that it may also be possible to run Sierra 10.12.6 via FakeCPUID but I can't confirm since I don't have such a system.

I agree that if you have to run Sierra and Final Cut Pro 7 then it is better to get a 7th generation CPU and a corresponding motherboard.

I use a 7700K and Z270 motherboard and I am able to run Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra 10.13.6. It is not difficult to setup dual booting different versions of MacOS on the same system (basically just partition your drive to have more than 1 partition and install each OS to different partitions, or install each OS to different drives). Previously when I am using an older GTX 760 graphics card I am also able to run El Capitan (via FakeCPUID) on the system. My current RX 580 is not supported in El Capitan so I now run Sierra and High Sierra only.

Newer hardware requires newer versions of MacOS, in general.

6th generation Intel CPUs and motherboards require El Capitan 10.11.4 or later.
7th generation Intel CPUs and motherboards require Sierra 10.12.6 or later, but can also run El Capitan 10.11.6 via FakeCPUID and a supported GPU.
8th generation Intel CPUs and motherboards require High Sierra or later. I heard that it may also be possible to run Sierra 10.12.6 via FakeCPUID but I can't confirm since I don't have such a system.

I agree that if you have to run Sierra and Final Cut Pro 7 then it is better to get a 7th generation CPU and a corresponding motherboard.

Awesome, super helpful. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get what I have on list, see if FakeCPUID works and if not, I still have my Yosemite laptop I can get to FC7. I did a lot of research for weeks, got attached to a system, and totally missed during that whole time the fact that z370 can only do HS.

Any idea why that's the case, since Apple wouldn't like third party mobos/CPUs? It seems backwards to me, like it should be that the newer versions of the MacOS shouldn't work on the older chipsets because Apple locks them out as they're creating that OS? Rather than the older chipsets being able to support all OSes the similar year and after that it came out. Seems odd. Or is it a different reason?

Last edited:
It all looks good for HS. The big question mark is will Nvidia write drivers for macOS Mojave and newer versions of macOS in the future. They may not. That leaves hackintosh owners using Nvidia graphics out in the cold over the longer term. No drivers means no 1080 Ti usage with Mojave or later versions.

Ok, great, thank you so much.

I might switch over to Radeon, then.

But it would be a huge bummer to lose cuda, because it seems Adobe seems to love that over OpenGL and especially metal. Is there a petition or something I could sign that would get Nvidia to keep supporting MacOS? Or some sort of thing other people are doing to try to get them to keep doing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back