Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
Intel i5 9600k
Graphics
Asus Radeon RX580 AREZ 8gb
Hi all,

I've been a mac user for the best part of 20years and now I'm fed up of their current offerings - I'm very keen to get into Hackintosh builds, this will be my first!

I have a couple of main requirements; Mainly Photo retouching and editing, and occasional gaming. I've worked up two builds which I'm hoping will run Catalina and allow me to do the above.

What are your guys' thoughts? Any one better than the other?

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 19.04.52.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 19.04.52.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 19.05.18.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 19.05.18.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 89
Hi all,

I've been a mac user for the best part of 20years and now I'm fed up of their current offerings - I'm very keen to get into Hackintosh builds, this will be my first!

I have a couple of main requirements; Mainly Photo retouching and editing, and occasional gaming. I've worked up two builds which I'm hoping will run Catalina and allow me to do the above.

What are your guys' thoughts? Any one better than the other?

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Cheers

Mark

The 2 builds are quite different.

Build 1 uses an ITX motherboard while build 2 uses an ATX. (Does that mean you won't mind between ITX/ATX?)
Build 1 uses a RX 580 while build 2 uses a RX 5500 XT.

Both builds should be able to run Catalina, although personally I will opt for Gigabyte or Asus motherboards and not MSI.

And for build 1 I think you should use at least a 550W power supply.

The 2 builds are quite different.

Build 1 uses an ITX motherboard while build 2 uses an ATX. (Does that mean you won't mind between ITX/ATX?)
Build 1 uses a RX 580 while build 2 uses a RX 5500 XT.

Both builds should be able to run Catalina, although personally I will opt for Gigabyte or Asus motherboards and not MSI.

And for build 1 I think you should use at least a 550W power supply.
Thanks for the tips...

Originally I was toying with going with a compact build, and then I tried seeing what the difference would be going for a larger build. There no rhyme or reason for size now other than it not taking up loads of room.

Can I ask why you wouldn't go msi?

Thanks for the tips...

Originally I was toying with going with a compact build, and then I tried seeing what the difference would be going for a larger build. There no rhyme or reason for size now other than it not taking up loads of room.

Can I ask why you wouldn't go msi?

I have never used MSI motherboards myself, and Gigabyte and Asus (mainly Gigabyte) motherboards have provided me with good experience running MacOS from Mavericks to Mojave. Reasonable to opt for something working and familiar, right?

I have never used MSI motherboards myself, and Gigabyte and Asus (mainly Gigabyte) motherboards have provided me with good experience running MacOS from Mavericks to Mojave. Reasonable to opt for something working and familiar, right?
Oh, absolutely. As I'm new to hacking I didn't know if I was making some sort of obvious novice mistake in selecting a msi. Always keen to learn the how's and whys of something.

Thanks for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back