GTX 750 ti
8gb ram
256gb ssd

Unique expectations of the build:
Figuring out psu... maybe sfx? Probably just Pico
Back window to the motherboard
Maybe passive? CPU and GPU or whatever I can get away with
Black paint job.

I plan to do this over a couple months (don't have a lot of money right now)
Mostly just looking for help :)

WJpjhstlBpKJnQLs.medium.jpg
Here's the concept of the back window...
This would require the motherboard to face outwards from the center, reusing the original motherboard standoffs

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 1.45.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-02 at 1.44.03 PM.png
NH-L9i Low-Profile CPU Heatsink Gtx 750Ti Itx Motherboard

Rough look at my plans with a pico external power supply.
The SSD would mount to the original CD drive

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 6.39.40 PM.png
This is the mock up with both gnu and cpu heatsink facing each other to take advantage of the original air vent.
Would require 2 PCI extensions together to reach it

AppleMann - I see your final concept as being the most piratical.

cube.jpg

I did want to comment about low power CPUs. I have used the i7-4770T at 45W and now have the i7-6700T at 35W and I think that they are well worth to extra cost and effort to acquire.

I have the i7-6700T running in a ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming and a small scratch build prototype case. Cooling is not an issue. If you check out the later posts in this thread, you can see the impact of the MSI GTX 760 ITX has on power consumption: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...gaming-w-i7-6700t-35w-gtx-760-sm951-ahci.html

This system is powered by a 300W PSU only because I did not have a 250W PSU in my parts bin.

Also, if you elect to use a motherboard with a m.2 slot you can have an on-motherboard system drive that is super quick.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks for the insight!
I currently have a 54w i3-4130 and a low end gigabyte its motherboard I will use as a template and see what I can do to cut and fit everything together, then I'll wait around until I can get my hands on a 6700t. (Hopefully it will be fully supported in OS X by then)

I noticed you used a 1U heatsink, did it work well with the one fan the case?

I also found a Haswell based Xeon using only 25W.. Do you think it's possible to pull off a passive build?
I think it'd be really cool to pull off ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back