Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thunderbolt.jpeg

2 ASUS Thunderbolt Motherboards have been released.

P8Z77-V Premium

P8Z77-V Pro Thunderbolt

P8Z77_V_PRO_THUNDERBOLT.jpeg

asustb.jpeg

Source:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-gets-o ... 15931.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/166399/ASUS- ... board.html

Last edited by a moderator:
kickass mobo!

Gigabyte will also be releasing 3 new models supporting Thunderbolt, but they're not out yet. Also, be aware that Thunderbolt is very expensive to add to motherboards at the moment.

:thumbup:

Thinking out loud, but I wonder how Apple (more specifically MacOS) routes display data from the discrete GPU of the MacBookPro through to the Thunderbolt/Displayport.

In Windows this requires the Virtu software bits to copy the frame buffer from the dGPU into the iGPU. Does MacOS have this provision?

If so, that would require a HD3000 to be active to make a display attached to the thunderbolt port work.

(like I said, just thinking out-loud)

really nice boards !!! :thumbup:

SStreet said:
Thinking out loud, but I wonder how Apple (more specifically MacOS) routes display data from the discrete GPU of the MacBookPro through to the Thunderbolt/Displayport.

In Windows this requires the Virtu software bits to copy the frame buffer from the dGPU into the iGPU. Does MacOS have this provision?

If so, that would require a HD3000 to be active to make a display attached to the thunderbolt port work.

(like I said, just thinking out-loud)

Virtu MVP is not required, but some kind of graphics switching technology is (for now) and Apple would have its own proprietary technology doing just that. Virtu MVP works pretty much just like Nvidia's Optimus technology which should also be coming to desktops. AMD is apparently working on its own version for desktops as well and we might find out some more about it at Computex in two weeks time.

They're released? I don't see either on newegg... I have two Thunderbolt displays I've been using w/ my MBP that I wouldn't mind using w/ one of these motherboards instead, but my concern for the moment is that two TB Displays doesn't work w/ Windows on my mbp (only 1 lights up), and we have no idea whether or not it works as a hackintosh... I could probably happily just use Windows at this point if it didn't pan out on the hackintosh front -if- both displays worked, but alas...

I very much doubt it'll work, as Windows is most likely seeing the Thunderbolt port as a DisplayPort and as Thunderbolt only support DP 1.1... there's no support for daisy chaining as you need DP 1.2 for that...
From what I've read, TB is seen simply as PCI Express in Windows and from what I've heard, Intel doesn't give a crap about releasing a driver and is even making some of the chip vendors tweak their drivers to make their products work with Thunderbolt rather than the other way around... go figure...

On the Mac side of things, well, it's a 50/50 chance right now, as we're looking at a so far unsupported chipset, a new thunderbolt controller and so on. It's not impossible that it'll work of course, but as soon as Apple moves to the new Intel platform, it should be possible.
That said, it looks like everyone so far is using the half bandwidth Thunderbolt chip, i.e. the one usually used in notebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back