Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
Intel > Need version > See Rules!
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Guys and Girls,

I've decided to go down the Hackintosh route. I can't spend a lot as I'm borrowing to do this at a time of financial difficulty after my macbook died promptly after the warranty and apple won't touch it.

I don't game but I use photoshop, will soon edit video and I use various pro audio equipment currently attached to a firewire audio interface.

My question is whether or not it's possible or sensible to add a firewire card to the mobo, considering my build (or whether I should ditch that idea, sell my interface and go to USB)? Should a PCIe 1394a card should 'just work' with Sierra and the installation guide here? My apologies if this has come up before, I searched and found somewhat relevant info but outdated - focusing on older builds and OS. I'm aiming for the Gigabyte GA-H170N / Sierra build.

Intel Skylake 6500
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel H170 Mini-ITX
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB
Samsung 500gb Evo SSD

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to being a part of this community. Sorry if my question is stupid, I'm still learning.

Miles.

Last edited:
Hi Guys and Girls,

I've decided to go down the Hackintosh route. I can't spend a lot as I'm borrowing to do this at a time of financial difficulty after my macbook died promptly after the warranty and apple won't touch it.

I don't game but I use photoshop, will soon edit video and I use various pro audio equipment currently attached to a firewire audio interface.

My question is whether or not it's possible or sensible to add a firewire card to the mobo, considering my build (or whether I should ditch that idea, sell my interface and go to USB)? Should a PCIe 1394a card should 'just work' with Sierra and the installation guide here? My apologies if this has come up before, I searched and found somewhat relevant info but outdated - focusing on older builds and OS. I'm aiming for the Gigabyte GA-H170N / Sierra build.

Intel Skylake 6500
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel H170 Mini-ITX
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB
Samsung 500gb Evo SSD

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to being a part of this community. Sorry if my question is stupid, I'm still learning.

Miles.

Here's a thread you should read:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-firewire-800-400-card-to-own-for-100-compatibility.59767/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back